Florida DB TJ Robinson and LB James Gordon IV commit to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received commitments from Riverview, Fla. defensive back TJ Robinson and Plant City, Fla. linebacker James Gordon IV.

Robinson chose the Gophers over offers from South Florida, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Louisville and others. He was originally committed to the South Florida, but re-opened the recruiting process and selected Minnesota. The 6-foot-3, 181-pound safety is the No. 108 safety nationally and is rated as a three-star recruit by 24/7 Sports.

With Robinson’s excellent size and athleticism, he likely projects as a safety at the next level. He showed off his movement skills as a wide receiver who could be isolated in space to create after the catch. He is very rangy because of his athletic skills and shows off above average ball skills when covering the deep half of the field. Not only that, but he displays a hint of physicality, delivering big hits across the middle. With his athleticism, length and physicality, he’s a very intriguing developmental player at the safety position. Robinson is the type of player who can be flexed all over the defense to blitz or play the deep half in coverage. He’ll need to become more refined as a defensive player, but has the traits for defensive backs coach Jahmile Addae to work with.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7552535/5a024bd68cd5b22234685e7a' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Linebacker James Gordon IV received more than 25 offers, including from Cincinnati, Missouri, Purdue, Kentucky and North Carolina. The 5-foot-11, 214-pound linebacker is the No. 83 outside linebacker nationally and holds a three-star grade from 24/7 Sports.

Gordon measures in at just 5-foot-11, but has a strong upper body build and has enough athleticism as a downhill run defender. He is a very powerful player who can fight through blocks because of his strength. Gordon will shoot the gap and take on blockers to get to the running back. He is a sound tackler and might project well as a potential inside linebacker in the system. Despite being slightly undersized, Gordon packs a punch because of his physical playing style and ability to read/react when plays are executed.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/5409465/5a0760ff5ca91f11c4b19c19' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

5'11", 214 lbs, and he projects as an inside linebacker?
I assume the Gophers defensive system calls for smaller, quicker linebackers? This might be me in grumpy old-man mode, but my vision of an inside linebacker is more in the 230-240 range at least. The question for smaller guys coming out of HS is whether they can add some weight without losing quickness.

I can see him adding weight to kick inside. He's an interesting player because of his physical build. Really great downhill run defender, but doesn't have the above average length/athleticism you'd like to see from guys on the outside. Donald Willis, the latest commit is an outside linebacker, though.

5'11", 214 lbs, and he projects as an inside linebacker?
I assume the Gophers defensive system calls for smaller, quicker linebackers? This might be me in grumpy old-man mode, but my vision of an inside linebacker is more in the 230-240 range at least. The question for smaller guys coming out of HS is whether they can add some weight without losing quickness.

For sure. There is definitely room for creativity because of what he brings to the table. Of course, the dime packages allow for more "free roaming" for linebackers, which certainly fits him well. It allows the coaches to make more moves to place him in favorable situations.

Tweener back 7-8 guys are all the rage on the new defenses although I’d expect this kind of adaptable innovation more from the prior staff but who really knows what Robb and Co have their fancy sleeves?

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...onnel-look-like-robber-aztec-iowa-state-texas

Welcome to Gopher Country guys! We're looking forward to watching you play on the field!

Top Bottom