Congrats to Obsa Ali!

MRJ

Reaction score
In case some of you may have missed it,

Gophers junior Obsa Ali won the NCAA title in the 3,000 meter steeplechase at the NCAA Championships in Eugene, OR yesterday.

He finished with a time of 8:32.23 to break his own school record and claim the title.

Congrats Obsa!

link: http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-track/recaps/060818aaa.html

Brutal event. Congratulations Obsa!

Uff. Brutal event is right. Obsa seemed to be struggling, but once he was given the gift of the leader going down, he poured it on. I feel bad for the Houston guy. Congrats to him! Awesome year!

Uff. Brutal event is right. Obsa seemed to be struggling, but once he was given the gift of the leader going down, he poured it on. I feel bad for the Houston guy. Congrats to him! Awesome year!

Houston, we have a problem with liftoff.

I thought Obsa was looking pretty strong going into that last lap, and Houston-guy was really struggling. I think Obsa catches him no matter what, Houston-guy went out to fast and had nothing left in the tank for that last lap. Smart race by Obsa to win it all :clap:

Exactly. The commentators noticed that with over a lap to go. I ran mid-distance college track and pacing and strategy are a key part. I saw many races where the lead runner stumbled and fell in the final corner/stretch when their legs just gave out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought Obsa was looking pretty strong going into that last lap, and Houston-guy was really struggling. I think Obsa catches him no matter what, Houston-guy went out to fast and had nothing left in the tank for that last lap. Smart race by Obsa to win it all :clap:

Agree, I felt the other three guys in the lead pack actually were struggling more than Obsa, especially the front two. Once the Houston guy went down, he hit another gear that the rest of the field couldn't match. I think Obsa was waiting for his chance and once the lead runner went down, he decided to kick it up another notch. Still, hard not to feel bad for the kid from Houston.

I also concur with comments on the difficulty of the event itself. Absolutely brutal.

Top Bottom