Maryland OT...off-season workout, heat stroke, liver transplant

That sucks.

Put me in the camp that says given the rarity of these kinds of events, this really isn't *that* big of a deal. With all the thousands of players and thousands of practices a few people having problems this doesn't worry me too much.

That said, it really does suck this kids life changed forever. I once went through heat stroke (lost 12+ lb of water over the course of a few hours) and it messed me up bad for a few weeks.

Man that's terrible. Best of luck with him and his recovery.

Heat stroke hits you fast, you really don't realize it until it is right on top of you.

I just saw the news update that he has passed away. That sucks on so many levels.:(

Very sad news all around. Did something similar happened to Korey Stringer of the Vikings?

Probably first few days of workouts, overweight, out of shape, humid summer air. Cascading problems and complications. To be honest it’s surprising it doesn’t happen more often. Heat can sneak up on even well-acclimated athletes. A tragedy, no doubt. I still remember Stringer passing.

I just saw the news update that he has passed away. That sucks on so many levels.:(

Horrible news. Prayers to friends and family. I can't imagine losing a loved one.....especially someone so young. :(

Terrible story..... many of these OL guys are not in very good shape, carrying lots of very bad pounds, with visible flab showing.... Being borderline obese, and working out in heat is not a good combination even for someone young.

In the Kill era lots of the OL looked very out of shape. The Mahtomedi kid who is on KFAN, Tommy Olson lost some insane amount of weight once he quit playing, and he never looked all that fit in a uniform either. Back in the steroid days the linemen relied less on fat to maintain weight, and as we know the Mason teams were looking for athletic lean linemen so that was a whole different thing. Lots of these NFL guys like Matt Birk shed incredible amounts of weight as well after retiring. Carrying all that bad weight for 10 plus years as NFL player cannot be healthy.

I think the line play under Fleck can only be a huge improvement over what we saw in recent years, regardless of what happens.

Top Bottom