Lawsuit filed

Kaler was certainly the bigger issue.

Coyle, as the AD, should not have talked so much about things like improving the character of the team, "living in truth", etc. At that time, while Gopher football players were accused of sexual assault, an assault they denied, it's a bad look.

His press conference when he fired Claeys should have been something like "I want to thank Tracy for all that he has done here, but we decided to go in a new direction." It should have been vanilla as possible. It's difficult to listen to Coyle speak in the time between the bowl game and the hiring of Fleck and not come out of it with the impression that he didn't believe the players. He is entitled to that opinion, personally, but when you're their AD. . . it's trouble to verbalize it publicly.

I mean I agree Coyle could have worded some of his statements better. And that is normally the case as public speaking is not his strong suit. But his words were really vague. I took the whole "culture" and "living in truth" as more directed at Claeys. Kaler was way more pointed in his statements. I remember thinking at the time that he needed to be careful. Kaler's words were more along the lines of a rush to judge.

I guess I see a lot of people lumping Kaler and Coyle in together, and I don't think that is necessarily fair. Not saying Coyle was perfect by any means, but my sense was that the players were upset with Coyle for not doing an adequate job of explaining things to them, while it was more personal with Kaler in that they felt he was out to get them.

Kaler will be deservedly fired for this. He should have been relieved last year at his performance review, but Regent politics surrounding the situation saved his ass.

Kaler will be deservedly fired for this. He should have been relieved last year at his performance review, but Regent politics surrounding the situation saved his ass.

Kaler to be fired post number 3405 ;)

I mean I agree Coyle could have worded some of his statements better. And that is normally the case as public speaking is not his strong suit. But his words were really vague. I took the whole "culture" and "living in truth" as more directed at Claeys. Kaler was way more pointed in his statements. I remember thinking at the time that he needed to be careful. Kaler's words were more along the lines of a rush to judge.

I guess I see a lot of people lumping Kaler and Coyle in together, and I don't think that is necessarily fair. Not saying Coyle was perfect by any means, but my sense was that the players were upset with Coyle for not doing an adequate job of explaining things to them, while it was more personal with Kaler in that they felt he was out to get them.

You're right. Kaler had a few egregious interviews. I did not even know about the "compromise".

That said, Coyle should have been more careful. The case was an elephant in the room and to get up there are talk needing to improve the culture, truth, and character of the team, at that time, was careless. It gave the wrong impression. Coyle also had to follow whatever narrative was promulgated to him by the likes of Kaler.

I wouldn't be shocked if they purposely DIDN'T fire him prior to this lawsuit. Right now, the U's defense is that the U and Kaler acted appropriately, you don't want to shred that defense before you have a chance to use it as a chip in the bargaining of the settlement.

One thing I noted when going through the suit.

If I'm reading this right, it was Jane Doe's Mother who apparently was the first to contact the police, and later contacted the Coach of the Spirit Squad. I believe the suit also says it was the Mother who was the first to throw out the idea that 20 players had sex with Jane Doe.

so, that suggests that Mom was the one who was really pushing the deal.

(and now, we venture into speculation). I wonder if Mom was pushing the whole 'rape' angle because she didn't want people thinking her little girl would willingly have sex with 5 football players. and, if Mom was really pushing the idea, maybe Jane Doe started changing her story to fit Mom's version of events. this whole mess might have been avoided if the Mother had stayed out of it. just thinking out loud.

there is another angle to this that I hesitate to get into, but Jane Doe is white and the players are all black. That has its own series of implications.

You're right. Kaler had a few egregious interviews. I did not even know about the "compromise".

That said, Coyle should have been more careful. The case was an elephant in the room and to get up there are talk needing to improve the culture, truth, and character of the team, at that time, was careless. It gave the wrong impression. Coyle also had to follow whatever narrative was promulgated to him by the likes of Kaler.

The compromise was during the boycott...if I remember correctly, Kaler offered it and then after talking with counsel realized he was not at liberty to make the offer and had to go back and tell the players as much.

Kaler isn't going to get fired so y'all can stop trying to run a victory lap. The University is far and away larger than the athletic department, and is doing great under him. You all can cry all you want about the young men that participated in extremely questionable, if not immoral, activity two years ago, but it's not going to change a thing.

Nobody reputable is going to stand on their side unless there was egregious wrong doing by the University, but I have yet to see any proof of that, even if I was to believe everything the former players have said.

The only thing this is going to accomplish is dragging the Gopher name through the mud for another year. Congrats.

Here we go again.

It's really simple, it was either consensual or not. If it's not consensual, everyone agrees, it's horrific. If it was consensual, any opinion that you, Kaler, the University has on their sexual interest is simply none of our business. In fact, it's weird to even speculate and discuss.

As far as a victory lap, none needed. All of us who were level-headed knew that Kaler handled the situation terribly and that this day was coming. I take absolutely no joy in the fact that Alma Mater's president acted in this way. I take zero pride in anything about the way the University of MN handled this case. I'm happy the athletes broght the lawsuit. I knew they would bring the lawsuit. Hopefully, if more things like this lawsuit happen, the U of MN can come back down to earth a bit.

That said, care to make a wager that Kaler is not the president 1 year from today?

I'm not going to break the bank, but I'd put a $20 on it.

I’d put quite a bit more on it, assuming the bet is on him being fired / forced to resign.

Kaler has been the best president the university has had in decades. He also has done a great job, in my opinion, of making sure that sexual assault cases are properly handled at the U. I’ll admit though that he offered too much leeway towards the accused and I’m glad he backed off of it. Glad we don’t have to worry about a Baylor / MSU situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone who said "Trump will never be president" is chiming in to this thread with "Kaler will be fired."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

One thing I noted when going through the suit.

If I'm reading this right, it was Jane Doe's Mother who apparently was the first to contact the police, and later contacted the Coach of the Spirit Squad. I believe the suit also says it was the Mother who was the first to throw out the idea that 20 players had sex with Jane Doe.

so, that suggests that Mom was the one who was really pushing the deal.

(and now, we venture into speculation). I wonder if Mom was pushing the whole 'rape' angle because she didn't want people thinking her little girl would willingly have sex with 5 football players. and, if Mom was really pushing the idea, maybe Jane Doe started changing her story to fit Mom's version of events. this whole mess might have been avoided if the Mother had stayed out of it. just thinking out loud.

there is another angle to this that I hesitate to get into, but Jane Doe is white and the players are all black. That has its own series of implications.

I believe you are closer to the truth than you realize....Jane Doe was known around there previous to this incident.

I’d put quite a bit more on it, assuming the bet is on him being fired / forced to resign.

Kaler has been the best president the university has had in decades. He also has done a great job, in my opinion, of making sure that sexual assault cases are properly handled at the U. I’ll admit though that he offered too much leeway towards the accused and I’m glad he backed off of it. Glad we don’t have to worry about a Baylor / MSU situation.

I'm thinking this must be sarcasm...

Kaler isn't going to get fired so y'all can stop trying to run a victory lap. The University is far and away larger than the athletic department, and is doing great under him. You all can cry all you want about the young men that participated in extremely questionable, if not immoral, activity two years ago, but it's not going to change a thing.

Nobody reputable is going to stand on their side unless there was egregious wrong doing by the University, but I have yet to see any proof of that, even if I was to believe everything the former players have said.

The only thing this is going to accomplish is dragging the Gopher name through the mud for another year. Congrats.

How ironic. The starting pitcher today for Oregon State against the Gophers wasn’t drafted, even though he is their best pitcher. They had 3 players drafted in the first round. Why, you ask? Because he was accused of sexual assault. Still playing and representing Oregon State, you betcha. Would he be playing for the Gophers if this happened in Minneapolis? Don’t think so.

How ironic. The starting pitcher today for Oregon State against the Gophers wasn’t drafted, even though he is their best pitcher. They had 3 players drafted in the first round. Why, you ask? Because he was accused of sexual assault. Still playing and representing Oregon State, you betcha. Would he be playing for the Gophers if this happened in Minneapolis? Don’t think so.

Good. It’s a travesty he is playing for Oregon State. He molested his niece from when she was 4 to 6 years old.

The U’s reputation academically has increased dramatically since Kaler assumed his position. No sarcasm in my post.

Try again. The preceding two did that, Kaler is merely the benefactor.

The allegations in the filing make the school appear even worse than was previously known. Not allowing equal time for defense alone is enough to blow up due process. Having university general counsel deciding which evidence/questions can be brought to the panel, etc is an obvious conflict of interest.

There are many aspects here that would make the university look very, very bad at trial. Their indoctrination of panelists in unaccepted theories of traumatic memory as an explanation for her many lapses in recollection, for example, wouldn’t stand up under expert witnesses or cross examination.

Kaler obviously made several defamatory statements but I’m not sure they can prove enormous damages at this point. Calculating damages is clear cut in a medical malpractice case, for example, if someone loses their sight or ability to work. I’m not sure this case has aged long enough to reveal the long term economic damages as far as denial to graduate programs or other educational opportunities.

It’s also the case there are several “weasel” technical defenses Kaler can attempt and defamation is really hard to prove in the legal sense even if we know it when we see it. He is, after all, a member of the administrative weasel species and they are good at defensive burrowing. It would be fun to see the internal emails and texts regarding all this....

They didn’t include Shipley as a defendant?

Bets on the settlement amount?

It will be interesting to hear PJ’s response to all this although I doubt he will say anything other than new culture, that’s in the past, we’ve moved on and we don’t condone sexual assault (who does?). Probably not great timing having this break with all the croots in town. PJ probably has someone buying up all the papers. Competing recruiters may link the story and point out the processes in place don’t necessarily have their rights in mind. The school needs to balance the scale.

The settlement amount. “An undisclosed figure”

I'm surprised that they haven't gone after Kimberly Hewitt, the director of the EOAA when this took place. She threatened Jerry Kill about keeping his players in line, or else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom