Best College Marching Band - MissionCFB twitter poll

Taji34

Reaction score
MissionCFB is running a twitter poll tournament to determine the best college marching band, our band beat the Arkansas Razorback marching band in the first round (67% of the votes vs their 33%) and now we are up against the Ohio State Marching Band in the sceond round!

Just over a day left and we are trailing 48% to 52%, we need all the votes we can get!!!

Here is the tweet:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And here is a link for those who have issues seeing embedded tweets: https://twitter.com/MissionCFB/status/1004548373549142021

Love the band, but Ohio State is in another class altogether.

Sorry, it's true. Minnesota definitely has one of the better bands in the B1G and probably the most underrated in the conference.

I think we lack depth at tuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. OSU, Michigan and MSU are at the top of the B1G. We need more cowbell and less clarinet. [emoji56]

I'll agree on OSU and maybe MSU. Michigan's band is running on the fumes of tradition and I was very underwhelmed when I saw them live.

Quick off the cuff power ranking (*= Has been awarded Sudler Trophy for best University marching band):
Tier 1
OSU* - The best by a mile. Great sound, great tradition, high precision, innovative half time shows, excellent pregame, script OHIO, skull session.

Tier 2
Michigan State* - Great pregame, unique drill (focus on squad and rotational movements).
Minnesota - Very nice pregame show, unique parade marching style, started "indoor concerts", halftime shows can be dull, good sound but can be too quiet on field.
Penn State* - Electric pregame show that plays well to the crowd, drum major traditions are exciting, very solid sound.
Wisconsin - Unique marching style, crowd pleasers, embraces culture of their state (polkas, 5th quarter, binge drinking, etc), sound quality is suspect.

Tier 3
Illinois* - Unique drum major traditions, good pregame show, underrated.
Michigan* - Well known pregame show although it's boring, The Victors is iconic, play the same 3-4 songs over and over and over, drumline step show is a nice pregame tradition.
Purdue* - Big drum, invented forming actual shapes on the field (Block P), nice active pregame show with varietvery underrated. Really considered putting them in tier 2.

Tier 4 - Everyone in this tier is just kind of "meh".
Indiana*
Iowa*
Nebraska*
Northwestern*

Haven't Seen
Maryland
Rutgers

I'll agree on OSU and maybe MSU. Michigan's band is running on the fumes of tradition and I was very underwhelmed when I saw them live.

Quick off the cuff power ranking (*= Has been awarded Sudler Trophy for best University marching band):
Tier 1
OSU* - The best by a mile. Great sound, great tradition, high precision, innovative half time shows, excellent pregame, script OHIO, skull session.

Tier 2
Michigan State* - Great pregame, unique drill (focus on squad and rotational movements).
Minnesota - Very nice pregame show, unique parade marching style, started "indoor concerts", halftime shows can be dull, good sound but can be too quiet on field.
Penn State* - Electric pregame show that plays well to the crowd, drum major traditions are exciting, very solid sound.
Wisconsin - Unique marching style, crowd pleasers, embraces culture of their state (polkas, 5th quarter, binge drinking, etc), sound quality is suspect.

Tier 3
Illinois* - Unique drum major traditions, good pregame show, underrated.
Michigan* - Well known pregame show although it's boring, The Victors is iconic, play the same 3-4 songs over and over and over, drumline step show is a nice pregame tradition.
Purdue* - Big drum, invented forming actual shapes on the field (Block P), nice active pregame show with varietvery underrated. Really considered putting them in tier 2.

Tier 4 - Everyone in this tier is just kind of "meh".
Indiana*
Iowa
Nebraska
Northwestern*

Haven't Seen
Maryland
Rutgers
Nice rundown. I haven't seen the UM band in years so you may be right on the money.
I was glad to see Ohio University and the Marching 400 on the list.
Two bands that I don't see, but consider that they should be is Southern University and Grambling State University. I used to watch the Bayou Classic football game between those two teams just to watch their bands perform.
https://youtu.be/r7mxyo6gCj0

We won!!!! Gonna get destroyed by LSU next round though. More people voted for them than voted in our poll all together.

Onto the Elite Eight! Help us beat LSU!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom