Minnesota the nation’s No. 1 in student-athlete academic success 4 of Last 5 Years

Iceland12

Reaction score
From Mark Coyle:

We still have three teams competing as we move into the summer months sitting in the top 10 nationally in the Learfield Directors' Cup standings. Baseball is preparing for this weekend’s NCAA Super Regional at Oregon State, looking to continue the program’s deepest run in the NCAA tournament in 41 years. About an hour away in Eugene, Ore., our men’s and women’s track and field teams have a combined 17 students competing at the NCAA Championships, including a program-record 14 on the women’s side. We have had so much athletic success this year, but I want to wait until everyone is done with their seasons before recapping that for you...

- 351 Gophers were named Academic All-Big Ten this year, a department record.
- 23 Gophers were named Academic All-District, the second-highest total in our history.
- 15 Gopher programs put up a perfect 1,000 in the NCAA’s single-year Academic Progress Rate (APR).
- 7 Gopher teams were honored with APR Public Recognition Awards for being among the top-10 percent nationally in their respective sports.

Perhaps summed up best in this stat, Minnesota has been the nation’s No. 1 school with respect to student-athlete academic success in four of the past five years. It’s significant enough that it bears repeating – the No. 1 public school in the entire country.

When it comes to academic success, our student-athletes are thriving among some of the brightest students and faculty from around the globe at a world-class academic institution. At Minnesota, we are delivering on that experience that so many ADs hope to provide their student-athletes, one in which they excel academically, athletically and socially.

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/...mma&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GopherDaily

Cue the "Who care?!" trolls..

I'm disappointed in the underwhelming response. This is a big deal. Way to go Gophers!!!

I'm generally skeptical of education stats, but I'll give out high fives for this none the less.

Once is an accomplishment.

Four out of five is something you can hang your hat on.

Being able to look a parent in the eye and say you'll do everything you can to get their kid a degree is a biggie.

Being able to show and prove it is definitely a recruiting tool.

Congrats to the athletes and everyone supporting them in the athletic dept.

That is just great! We do good by the kids who put on the Maroon and Gold.

People (including myself) sometimes forget they are STUDENT athletes. Being number 1 in academics is a big deal, doing it in 4 out of 5 years is really phenomenal. Congrats to all the student athletes putting in the hard work for this to happen!

In all honesty though I'd be OK if this number slid just to put up some national championships...

I didn't say slide to the bottom. Just drop down to say the top 25 somewhere and actually win something.

Why not win something AND stay at the too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrific accomplishment. Probably going to stay that way with the new facilities.

Top Bottom