Adam Beck Transfering to Texas Tech

I mean his post says he needs to be closer to family. Can’t blame him if something has happened there personally

True and that very well could and probably is the case, was wondering if anyone closer to the team had heard anything.

Beck was committed to Texas Tech before he flipped here. He should've just stayed committed there in the first place.

Beck was committed to Texas Tech before he flipped here. He should've just stayed committed there in the first place.

Yep. I was thinking to myself why he wouldn't have just signed with them in the first place if he was going to transfer to them after only one year here.

I suppose maybe he like our staff better, felt he'd have better playing time here or whatever and then realized being closer to family was more important than any of that.

I suspect this is some of what you get with Fleck. In his HYPRR-intense recruiting frenzy he might put a high pressure sales pitch to a kid like this and convince him to flip without taking time to weigh the decision. More recruits will come but seems like more have been leaving early, even some of the higher rated kids.

I suspect this is some of what you get with Fleck. In his HYPRR-intense recruiting frenzy he might put a high pressure sales pitch to a kid like this and convince him to flip without taking time to weigh the decision. More recruits will come but seems like more have been leaving early, even some of the higher rated kids.

The fact that a sale was made doesnt mean there had to be high pressure.

Could have been many factors:
Fleck made more sense,
Played in the pros,
Had better facilities,
Had a hot wife,
Connected better with assistant coaches,
wanted to play in the Big 10,
No one plays D in the Big 12,

Its 2018, everyone has heard the time share pitch where no one leaves till a sale is made,

No one wants that.

People buy what's real and fits their needs, at least initially,

How can an 18 year old kid truly evaluate a school/football program until they are immersed in it daily?

Can you imagine the complete meltdown GH would be in if all of these transfers and decommits were happening with the previous staff??

Yep. I was thinking to myself why he wouldn't have just signed with them in the first place if he was going to transfer to them after only one year here.

I suppose maybe he like our staff better, felt he'd have better playing time here or whatever and then realized being closer to family was more important than any of that.

Homesickness is a bigger factor than you think for some eighteen-nineteen year-olds away from home and support system for the first time. If you are from a family that are really close who have large family get together regularly, you will feel the tug at your heartstring on Holidays and other occasions.

Throw in the weather - the blizzards that we've had and it doesn't take much. Throw in missing on familiar foods and traditions. Maybe a girlfriend? It is a shock on one's system.

For kids who can endure and tough it out, they are better for it. Every family is different. Some have the financial wherewithal where they can hop on an airplane anytime. But, others the first time that they are on an airplane or gone away far from home is during recruiting and flying to college.

I hope that they have counseling psychologists dedicated to the athletes. It may just take talking to a counselor to address issues of homesickness among other things. Kids are fragile and you never know how they handle pressures. It may even reduce the number of kids that would decide to leave.

Epic.

Pj gets excuses.

Well when PJ said the other day that we are signing 25 in this class instead of the 15 he had been saying, it was pretty clear to the rest of us that meant some guys were still leaving. It happens. And we're not done.

Good luck to the kid.

I have no inside information on this.

Well when PJ said the other day that we are signing 25 in this class instead of the 15 he had been saying, it was pretty clear to the rest of us that meant some guys were still leaving. It happens. And we're not done.

I was thinking about that too. Are we to expect more "buyer's remorse" attrition under PJ Fleck? He is such a consummate pitch guy, he can sell a used toilet. Or is this increasingly the nature of college football in this millennium? I wonder how we compare to our rivals.

When PJ Fleck alluded to recruiting within a 600-mile radius, I think it is because kids from colder regions are more likely to stick around. That's just one reason.

We still need to get players from the talent rich areas of the country.

Just wait. . . someone will explain it to us how this is actually a good thing. It's also somehow ole Tracy's fault too.

Yes, player retention certainly is a new issue to the U. Keep up the butt hurt Bob.

I was thinking about that too. Are we to expect more "buyer's remorse" attrition under PJ Fleck? He is such a consummate pitch guy, he can sell a used toilet. Or is this increasingly the nature of college football in this millennium? I wonder how we compare to our rivals.

When PJ Fleck alluded to recruiting within a 600-mile radius, I think it is because kids from colder regions are more likely to stick around. That's just one reason.

We still need to get players from the talent rich areas of the country.

There's probably 30 players on the roster right now for those areas...

Homesickness is a bigger factor than you think for some eighteen-nineteen year-olds away from home and support system for the first time. If you are from a family that are really close who have large family get together regularly, you will feel the tug at your heartstring on Holidays and other occasions.

Throw in the weather - the blizzards that we've had and it doesn't take much. Throw in missing on familiar foods and traditions. Maybe a girlfriend? It is a shock on one's system.

For kids who can endure and tough it out, they are better for it. Every family is different. Some have the financial wherewithal where they can hop on an airplane anytime. But, others the first time that they are on an airplane or gone away far from home is during recruiting and flying to college.

I hope that they have counseling psychologists dedicated to the athletes. It may just take talking to a counselor to address issues of homesickness among other things. Kids are fragile and you never know how they handle pressures. It may even reduce the number of kids that would decide to leave.

Why just dedicated the athletes?

Can you imagine the complete meltdown GH would be in if all of these transfers and decommits were happening with the previous staff??

There were plenty of transfers and decommits under the previous staff and I don't remember any major meltdowns.

It's a bit concerning but at the same time this is college football and basketball in 2018. It's happening everywhere.

The Beck transfer has been known for a while. The only new information is his landing spot. Should we start foaming at the mouth because a Texas kid who redshirted wanted to move back home after a year?

For those wanting outrage and claiming that Claeys or Kill would have been held to a different standard, let's review their first recruiting class in 2011 and see how many guys transferred out:
https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2011-Football/Commits

Drayquan Crawford
Quinn Bauducco
Quentin Gardener (I'm not sure he ever ended up qualifying)
Max Shortell
Ge'Shun Harris (I think he was the guy caught with a firearm at the airport)
Devin Crawford Tufts (I'm not sure if he transferred or just quit to run track)
Steven Montgomery

That's 7 players that quit or transferred out. I don't remember outrage. It's probably a pretty average number looking back on a class after 5+ years.

The 'closer' to home thing always trips me out. TTU is 8 hours from his home town which is right outside of Houston. Houston, UTSA, Rice, SMU and North Texas are all far closer and one would assume he's good enough to play at any of those schools. That said I'm sure he has legit reasons, just I've never considered 8 hours close

There's a sort of free agency like trend going on in both football and basketball. Players want to get on the field (court) as quickly as possible and coaches feel pressured to win and are moving on from players who aren't contributing soon enough in their mind. Both sides are less likely to be patient if things are developing too slowly.

The 'closer' to home thing always trips me out. TTU is 8 hours from his home town which is right outside of Houston. Houston, UTSA, Rice, SMU and North Texas are all far closer and one would assume he's good enough to play at any of those schools. That said I'm sure he has legit reasons, just I've never considered 8 hours close

Did any of those other schools offer?

It's close enough you can drive home for a long weekend or your family can come to a lot of the home games. He might have close relatives and/or friends that live closer too.

Getting to the meat of the issue where is the safety depth? Who can play of the freshmen and walkons?

Getting to the meat of the issue where is the safety depth? Who can play of the freshmen and walkons?

Great question. Ideally, Handy-Holly would still be here and starting opposite Huff so that Winfield could start in the slot and swing between CB/S as needed. Now, it appears that Winfield/Huff will start at S, Calvin Swenson will be playing a lot, and after that...? I very much doubt that Aune will be ready, but he may have to play because I honestly don't think there's anyone else on the roster who can play safety. Durr? Williamson? Oliver? Yikes. It's a bad scene.

Great question. Ideally, Handy-Holly would still be here and starting opposite Huff so that Winfield could start in the slot and swing between CB/S as needed. Now, it appears that Winfield/Huff will start at S, Calvin Swenson will be playing a lot, and after that...? I very much doubt that Aune will be ready, but he may have to play because I honestly don't think there's anyone else on the roster who can play safety. Durr? Williamson? Oliver? Yikes. It's a bad scene.

Yeah it’s really thin back there. I think Oliver is the answer though. Fleck has always said he’s going to play this year, and he mentioned both S and OLB as possibilities.

Top Bottom