Adam Beck Transfering to Texas Tech

I was thinking about that too. Are we to expect more "buyer's remorse" attrition under PJ Fleck? He is such a consummate pitch guy, he can sell a used toilet. Or is this increasingly the nature of college football in this millennium? I wonder how we compare to our rivals.

When PJ Fleck alluded to recruiting within a 600-mile radius, I think it is because kids from colder regions are more likely to stick around. That's just one reason.

We still need to get players from the talent rich areas of the country.

PJ doesn’t tell them that they have to give him a standing ovation when he walks into meetings. That would give me enough reason to leave.

If starters were regularly transferring I'd be concerned, but this is normal and people get so worked up by it. We have Alabama and Florida transfers on the roster. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the coach or the team or the program. Things just don't work out sometimes.

The players people are concerned about are Handy-Holly, Beck and Vic.

Handy-Holly and Beck sure seemed to be on pace to start. They were freshman.

As far as Vic. If we are recruiting JuCo QBs who can't compete with a RS FR QB and a walk-on true FR QB, even for a year, that should be a bit of a question mark.

The players people are concerned about are Handy-Holly, Beck and Vic.

Handy-Holly and Beck sure seemed to be on pace to start. They were freshman.

As far as Vic. If we are recruiting JuCo QBs who can't compete with a RS FR QB and a walk-on true FR QB, even for a year, that should be a bit of a question mark.

I think everyone on this board agrees that losing KHH and Beck is a loss. Who are you arguing with?

I don’t agree that either one would be starting this year. It would be tough to beat out Winfield and Huff.

I think everyone on this board agrees that losing KHH and Beck is a loss. Who are you arguing with?

I don’t agree that either one would be starting this year. It would be tough to beat out Winfield and Huff.

It seemed essentially a lock that Handy-Holly would start. Winfield is best when he is in the slot and not having to play a traditional run-supporting safety position.

I'm literally responding to the person quoted in my post that said "if starters were regularly transferring I'd be concerned".

Bob might have heard Spoofin' say that JohnnyBoy said PJ said he might hold Winfield out until year one in 2019.

And that's what happens when the phone rings...you're two post late here.

If this the direction that all college sports are heading, it's going to mean ever-changing rosters.

Whether kids are leaving because of homesickness, lack of playing time, don't like the school, don't like the coaches, broke up with girlfriend, etc, it means that coaches will truly be recruiting year-round. You'll have to have options and back-up plans if and when kids leave.

And how will this impact roster limits, available scholarships, etc?

The thing to watch is whether certain programs are hit harder by this than others. There may be a few kids who transfer from the helmet schools in search of playing time, but in general, I would expect more transfers from teams that are struggling, as they seek a better or more stable situation.

Every team may have to have a coach or staffer whose full-time job is "keeping the players happy so they don't leave."
Be like Louisville and bring in the hookers! [emoji57][emoji41]

It seemed essentially a lock that Handy-Holly would start. Winfield is best when he is in the slot and not having to play a traditional run-supporting safety position.

We aren't even close to having the flexibility in the defensive backfield to let Winfield exclusively cover the slot. He'll spend most of his time as safety and a nickel CB. Our two starting CBs will be some combination of Shenault, Williamson, Thomas, Durr and maybe one of the freshmen by the end of the season.

I'm literally responding to the person quoted in my post that said "if starters were regularly transferring I'd be concerned".

Did Beck start? Or even play? Has anyone seen him #1 on the depth chart?

The odds were great that he wasn't going to beat out Winfield, Huff or KHH this year as a starting safety. Frat said "if starters were regularly transferring I'd be concerned." They aren't.

X's & O's question. In the Gophers new system, if anyone knows, do they play a traditional strong safety, weak safety alignment, or are the two safety positions basically equal in terms of responsibilities? Just wondering if both safeties are required to provide run support - which would (I think) require a little more size and thump - or if one safety does run support and the other drops back into deep coverage. (meaning the 'coverage' safety needs to be more quick than a thumper.)

Either way, it's up to the coaches to look at the available personnel, and put them into a situation that plays to their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses.

What is it with all these former Gophers going to a god forsaken place like Lubbock? Are they fascinated with tumbleweed?

What is it with all these former Gophers going to a god forsaken place like Lubbock? Are they fascinated with tumbleweed?

I was born in Minnesota, lived here through college and moved to California. After a couple years I came back to Minnesota because I missed the change of seasons, real trees versus palm trees and just the things you grew up with. So, I can see if you grew up with tumbleweed, you might miss it? It certainly is a very ugly drive through the Texas countryside I have witnessed.

We aren't even close to having the flexibility in the defensive backfield to let Winfield exclusively cover the slot. He'll spend most of his time as safety and a nickel CB. Our two starting CBs will be some combination of Shenault, Williamson, Thomas, Durr and maybe one of the freshmen by the end of the season.

Justus Harris won week one Nekton of the week...he played some last year.

The odds were great that he wasn't going to beat out Winfield, Huff or KHH this year as a starting safety. Frat said "if starters were regularly transferring I'd be concerned." They aren't.

Depth? Future starter, not too distant future? Isnt that why Beck was recruited here, to start?

You added the word "exclusively" to imply that's what I said, even though I didn't. I even said higher up in the thread that Winfield should've been free to swing between CB and S as needed. Now we won't have that luxury because there's almost no one else to play S.

Ok. Keep pivoting.

You said "Everyone on this board agrees that . . . Beck was a loss. Who are you arguing with?"

I pointed out who I was arguing with. You can play the semantics that Frat's point was valid because Beck was only in line to be a significant contributor as FR and not a day 1 starter. That's fine, but you admitted that losing Beck was a problem in your question to me. You were implying that no one was acting like it wasn't a problem. You were wrong.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with Frat (which you seem pretty divided on the issue), is beside the point.

When you asked "who are you arguing with?", I was arguing with the person who said that they weren't concerned with losing Beck. That is the precise kind of person you claimed didn't exist.

Depth? Future starter, not too distant future? Isnt that why Beck was recruited here, to start?

Every player is recruited to start. I don't think there is a P-5 staff in the country that gives out a scholarship to someone just hoping that they provide depth. Again, it sucks that we lost Beck. He likely would have played and could have been a starter in a few years. But he was not a starter.

Ok. Keep pivoting.

You said "Everyone on this board agrees that . . . Beck was a loss. Who are you arguing with?"

I pointed out who I was arguing with. You can play the semantics that Frat's point was valid because Beck was only in line to be a significant contributor as FR and not a day 1 starter. That's fine, but you admitted that losing Beck was a problem in your question to me. You were implying that no one was acting like it wasn't a problem. You were wrong.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with Frat (which you seem pretty divided on the issue), is beside the point.

When you asked "who are you arguing with?", I was arguing with the person who said that they weren't concerned with losing Beck. That is the precise kind of person you claimed didn't exist.

It's pretty simple Bob. Frat's not concerned because starters aren't transferring. I am concerned because we are losing depth and a potential starter down the road.

It's pretty simple Bob. Frat's not concerned because starters aren't transferring. I am concerned because we are losing depth and a potential starter down the road.

Wow. That's fine. However, again, beside the point.

You asked this "I think everyone on this board agrees that losing KHH and Beck is a loss. Who are you arguing with?"

The answer to that question, as we have both now pointed out, is Frat. Frat is who I was arguing with because he does NOT believe losing Beck is a loss.

The fact that you believe losing Beck matters, good for you, you're obviously more rationale than Frat.

Wow. That's fine. However, again, beside the point.

You asked this "I think everyone on this board agrees that losing KHH and Beck is a loss. Who are you arguing with?"

The answer to that question, as we have both now pointed out, is Frat. Frat is who I was arguing with because he does NOT believe losing Beck is a loss.

The fact that you believe losing Beck matters, good for you, you're obviously more rationale than Frat.

You're correct, Frat appears to be the one guy that doesn't care at all...

Every player is recruited to start. I don't think there is a P-5 staff in the country that gives out a scholarship to someone just hoping that they provide depth. Again, it sucks that we lost Beck. He likely would have played and could have been a starter in a few years. But he was not a starter.

Nope. Some are recruited as walk ons to provide ST and depth, for example.

Fitzgerald has big issues at safety...both starters graduate...both backups missed Spring with injuries...injured guys McGee and Pace are both 6'1", 220 and 193 respectively...backups Jackson and Whillock both list at 6'1, 188 and 205, respectively; one career game played between them.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...expected-top-safeties-develop-from-sidelines/

Purdue expected starters are a walk-on rs soph, Thieneman (6'1", 200) and a junior, Mosley, 6'2, 210...top defensive recruit from 2017 was a juco safety, TJ Jallow...he is expected to have flunked out now...backups expected to be a walk on rs sr, Blackmon, 6'0, 195; a rs soph, Smiley, 6'0, 205, and maybe a 2 star rs frosh, Abrams (6'2, 195)...

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...solidifies-purdue-safety-positions/397782002/

Iowa's top 2 free safeties are walk-ons...one has had two acl surgeries...next up could be a true frosh...Hooker at strong safety is 210, backed up by Stone at 209...true frosh Craddieth (6'0, 197) could be next up

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-2018-depth-chart-projection-defense-20180525

Nebraska had a guy they were hoping to maybe step up at safety, Damann, miss Spring with an ACL flare-up...they may rely on true frosh Camron Jones and new juco Williams as their two-deep with walk on Karel in the mix...Aaron Williams at 5'11, 190 is their top safety.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-depth-chart-projection-analysis-2018

most all teams have academic issues, transfer issues, injury issues, lack of scholarshiped, high talent, experienced depth issues...Wisconsin will likely start a rs frosh at safety alongside senior Dixon...backups both rs sophs...biggest is listed at 6'2, 207

Nope. Some are recruited as walk ons to provide ST and depth, for example.

Disagree. I would hope a coach doesn't recruit an OT thinking that with a lot of hard work he could be 2nd or 3rd string by the time he's a senior. Obviously many recruits won't be starters and will provide depth, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as the team is strong at that position.

Disagree. I would hope a coach doesn't recruit an OT thinking that with a lot of hard work he could be 2nd or 3rd string by the time he's a senior. Obviously many recruits won't be starters and will provide depth, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as the team is strong at that position.

How many ot on a team roster?

How many ot starters?

Fitzgerald has big issues at safety...both starters graduate...both backups missed Spring with injuries...injured guys McGee and Pace are both 6'1", 220 and 193 respectively...backups Jackson and Whillock both list at 6'1, 188 and 205, respectively; one career game played between them.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...expected-top-safeties-develop-from-sidelines/

Purdue expected starters are a walk-on rs soph, Thieneman (6'1", 200) and a junior, Mosley, 6'2, 210...top defensive recruit from 2017 was a juco safety, TJ Jallow...he is expected to have flunked out now...backups expected to be a walk on rs sr, Blackmon, 6'0, 195; a rs soph, Smiley, 6'0, 205, and maybe a 2 star rs frosh, Abrams (6'2, 195)...

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...solidifies-purdue-safety-positions/397782002/

Iowa's top 2 free safeties are walk-ons...one has had two acl surgeries...next up could be a true frosh...Hooker at strong safety is 210, backed up by Stone at 209...true frosh Craddieth (6'0, 197) could be next up

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...-2018-depth-chart-projection-defense-20180525

Nebraska had a guy they were hoping to maybe step up at safety, Damann, miss Spring with an ACL flare-up...they may rely on true frosh Camron Jones and new juco Williams as their two-deep with walk on Karel in the mix...Aaron Williams at 5'11, 190 is their top safety.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-depth-chart-projection-analysis-2018

most all teams have academic issues, transfer issues, injury issues, lack of scholarshiped, high talent, experienced depth issues...Wisconsin will likely start a rs frosh at safety alongside senior Dixon...backups both rs sophs...biggest is listed at 6'2, 207

This shows the Gophers are not alone facing issues of attrition one one form or another. When you get career ending injuries like the one to Nick Connelly, it really impacts the team.

In 2015, the year the Gophers played TCU at TCF Bank Stadium, the Gophers had a regular MASH unit with so many injuries.

This shows the Gophers are not alone facing issues of attrition one one form or another. When you get career ending injuries like the one to Nick Connelly, it really impacts the team.

In 2015, the year the Gophers played TCU at TCF Bank Stadium, the Gophers had a regular MASH unit with so many injuries.

Even so, Gophs made a game of it...

Top Bottom