Reusse writes column about GopherHole reaction to VV; SON, Halsey Hall, House mention

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Reusse has column about GopherHoler's reaction to Vic. Per Pat, just a sample of his GH mentions:

There was actually some of that caution back on Nov. 27, from a Gopher Hole legend that goes by the handle “short ornery Norwegian.’’ Amid the Viramontes hysteria, he offered these sentiments as part of a message:

“Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it’s a big jump from JUCO to the [Big Ten]. Let’s try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against [Big Ten] competition …

“This goes back to the same old thing that bugs me … A player commits to the U or signs, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every writeup from Daniel House [a Gopher Hole contributor] makes the player sound like a first-ballot Hall of Fame candidate …

“Before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let’s see what happens.’’

A poster with the handle “Halsey Hall’’ – a desecration of a wonderful wit – immediately assailed the Norwegian with a message including:

“This kid is really going to be good. I can’t believe his tape. He even played defense in high school and looks like he could play there in the [Big Ten]. BUT, he’s too good at QB. He’s the best QB we have recruited since Mike Hohensee (also a California JUCO).

“He is going to turn this program around.’’

As it happened, the turnaround was by Viramontes. It was revealed last weekend that he had turned around and went back to Riverside City College, where he hopes to turn himself into a linebacker worthy of another round of FBS recruitment.

Chalk one up for short ornery Norwegians everywhere.

http://www.startribune.com/this-was...ns-expected-from-vic-as-in-victory/484681271/

Go Gophers!!

Wait, so you mean to tell me that sometimes fans get a little too excited about a particular recruit? Shocking. Surely this doesn't happen anywhere else.

You've gotta admit the "BEST QB RECRUIT EVER" stuff is pretty funny now.

Funny. SON was hoping for a mention on WCCO, but here is some recognition, being named a Gopherhole Legend by Gopherhole's most hated media member.

P.S. Hi, Patrick!

Does anyone read the Strib's sports section anymore? It wasn't that great to begin with, and then they threw up a paywall. I'm not paying to read crappy takes on games I watched with my own two eyes and rehashed GH discussions.

Especially when twincities.com is free and provides the exact same content from journalists that at least pretend to be professionals.

This is his best article ever. I would love it if he did this every year.

If Fleck doesn't make it here, he could write a series of novels rivaling R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire in length, solely based on JohnnyBoy and GopherWeatherGuy.

Wait, so you mean to tell me that sometimes fans get a little too excited about a particular recruit? Shocking. Surely this doesn't happen anywhere else.

It's amazing. We're the only fan base in the country that gets excited about recruits, and we have the only coach in America that talks positively of new players, especially during the signing day press conference.

Does anyone read the Strib's sports section anymore? It wasn't that great to begin with, and then they threw up a paywall. I'm not paying to read crappy takes on games I watched with my own two eyes and rehashed GH discussions.

Especially when twincities.com is free and provides the exact same content from journalists that at least pretend to be professionals.

Incognito mode is your friend

pioneer press is garbage. the site itself, the writers, etc. shooter's column is only thing worth reading.

I'm going to have to start copyrighting my posts so that Reusse can't use them without permission.

If nothing else, we have definitive proof that Reusse, or someone close to him, reads Gopher Hole.

Hey, I really wish VV would have worked out. He didn't.

As I keep saying, we have to see how it plays out on the field before making any final judgements.

Every coach at every college football team has recruits who don't pan out, and they have unheralded recruits who turn into contributors.

right now, there's some guy on the Gopher roster who nobody is talking about, and at some point, that guy is going to make a play to help the Gophers win a game. That's the nature of sports.

Strib is free. Just clear your cache when you close your browser.

right now, there's some guy on the Gopher roster who nobody is talking about, and at some point, that guy is going to make a play to help the Gophers win a game. That's the nature of sports.

Justus Harris had 0 stars and played in four games for us as a true Freshman. Neil McLaurin was our highest rated recruit and currently plays for a community college. While I understand that recruiting is a key part of success, it is by no means an exact science. You're spot on.

What rag can afford good journalists today? It's all about clicks and paying the bills. They couldn't care less about winning journalism awards. It's survival of the fattest.

I'm going to have to start copyrighting my posts so that Reusse can't use them without permission.

If nothing else, we have definitive proof that Reusse, or someone close to him, reads Gopher Hole.

As I keep saying, we have to see how it plays out on the field before making any final judgements.

Every coach at every college football team has recruits who don't pan out, and they have unheralded recruits who turn into contributors.

If you are going to quoted like this, you HAVE to proof read! Capital R!

Justus Harris had 0 stars and played in four games for us as a true Freshman. Neil McLaurin was our highest rated recruit and currently plays for a community college. While I understand that recruiting is a key part of success, it is by no means an exact science. You're spot on.

Part of recruiting is finding the Justus Harris's of the world and avoiding the Neil McLaurins. Recruiting is much more than landing guys with high ratings, it is recognizing who the rating services and other schools are over or under valuing, and picking guys that you can use to be successful.

Of course this article is at the top of the sports section and the Jacob Clark article is at the bottom. Patrick Reusse sucks.

I sure hope that after Pat retires, he gets a Gopherhole moniker under his own name (GopherLady, I hope you have it reserved for him) and spends his retirement years stirring the pot.

That would be entertaining.

Reusse has column about GopherHoler's reaction to Vic. Per Pat, just a sample of his GH mentions:

There was actually some of that caution back on Nov. 27, from a Gopher Hole legend that goes by the handle “short ornery Norwegian.’’ Amid the Viramontes hysteria, he offered these sentiments as part of a message:

“Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it’s a big jump from JUCO to the [Big Ten]. Let’s try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against [Big Ten] competition …

“This goes back to the same old thing that bugs me … A player commits to the U or signs, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every writeup from Daniel House [a Gopher Hole contributor] makes the player sound like a first-ballot Hall of Fame candidate …

“Before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let’s see what happens.’’

A poster with the handle “Halsey Hall’’ – a desecration of a wonderful wit – immediately assailed the Norwegian with a message including:

“This kid is really going to be good. I can’t believe his tape. He even played defense in high school and looks like he could play there in the [Big Ten]. BUT, he’s too good at QB. He’s the best QB we have recruited since Mike Hohensee (also a California JUCO).

“He is going to turn this program around.’’

As it happened, the turnaround was by Viramontes. It was revealed last weekend that he had turned around and went back to Riverside City College, where he hopes to turn himself into a linebacker worthy of another round of FBS recruitment.

Chalk one up for short ornery Norwegians everywhere.

http://www.startribune.com/this-was...ns-expected-from-vic-as-in-victory/484681271/

Go Gophers!!

Down to a 0.9 share this month. Nobody is listening to Pat. Better luck next month.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb027

He did? Where?

He was? Where?

I was thinking the same thing as you so I checked it out.

ESPN had McLaurin tied for our highest rated recruit and Harris was unrated.

Both 247 and Rivals had Harris rated higher than McLaurin.

He may peruse GopherHole as a courtesy to Nadine, but my guess is he went through every post on the VV threads and laughed his ass off through the entire read. That thread literally wrote his column for him.

BTW SON, I greatly appreciate your posts and your minutes from the PJ show on Sunday mornings. You help keep this Gopher fan in Texas close to the program.

I was thinking the same thing as you so I checked it out.

ESPN had McLaurin tied for our highest rated recruit and Harris was unrated.

Both 247 and Rivals had Harris rated higher than McLaurin.

Right, so on ESPN (which sucks), Harris was not evaluated (there's no such thing as a "zero star") and McLaurin was rated more highly than guys like Andries and Handy-Holly - great indicators of their acumen. ESPN is so awesome that McLaurin is still listed as a Gopher recruit and part of the 2017 class despite neither of those things being true for the past year-plus.

People who cite ESPN's recruiting rankings are like people who use Bing for internet searches.

Right, so on ESPN (which sucks), Harris was not evaluated (there's no such thing as a "zero star") and McLaurin was rated more highly than guys like Andries and Handy-Holly - great indicators of their acumen. ESPN is so awesome that McLaurin is still listed as a Gopher recruit and part of the 2017 class despite neither of those things being true for the past year-plus.

People who cite ESPN's recruiting rankings are like people who use Bing for internet searches.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/zac5EvG19YCVa" width="480" height="349" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/cheezburger-animation-the-simpsons-homer-simpson-zac5EvG19YCVa">via GIPHY</a></p>

Top Bottom