Why do the Gophers play Maryland six consecutive years?

Bring back the Axe

Reaction score
They played them in 16 and 17, and they're on the schedule every year until 2021, which is as far out as the Big Ten schedule has been set.
I'm already sick of seeing them on the schedule, especially when it potentially takes away marquee games vs the top tier of the East. If they're going to play an East team every year it should be Michigan.

Historic rivalry.

Both state's start with the letter M.
We also have a rivalry with Michigan.

Both states are also #1 and #2 for most cabin owners per capita.

My guess is the Big 10 is trying to balance the schedules with the crossover games. I'd rather play Maryland six straight years than Ohio St.

Yeh, something about that too.
It's our designated cross over game.
Part of it was to try to keep things even I think so we got Maryland.

Since Fleck is the world's most gifted recruiter, he's the only one that can come close to keeping up with Maryland's wealth of talent.

We play Maryland every year so we can continue to only see Indiana once a decade...

My guess is the Big 10 is trying to balance the schedules with the crossover games. I'd rather play Maryland six straight years than Ohio St.

Apparently this is exactly the rationale behind it. Trying to pair off teams that are roughly equivalent for competitive balance. Outside of last year vs Michigan, the Gophers have been fairly competitive vs the top East teams recently. I understand that they have a better chance of winning vs Maryland, but it's not an interesting or exciting matchup in the least. It's a mediocre ACC team that the Gophers have zero history with.

Apparently this is exactly the rationale behind it. Trying to pair off teams that are roughly equivalent for competitive balance. Outside of last year vs Michigan, the Gophers have been fairly competitive vs the top East teams recently. I understand that they have a better chance of winning vs Maryland, but it's not an interesting or exciting matchup in the least. It's a mediocre ACC team that the Gophers have zero history with.
...and yet they kicked our @$$ at TCF last fall. Last year's game against Maryland was the time I knew Minnesota was going to suck in football for the next couple years...at least. This season the UMN fan base mantra will be, "Thank you sir, may I have another."

I'll take competitive games for now. Granted I'd be happy to play Michigan every year but otherwise competitive is nice.

I do worry a bit that MD's talent stock will pay off and it won't be as competitive. They've been stocking up on some stars.

Good news for me. Who else from the EC is going to the games?

...and yet they kicked our @$$ at TCF last fall. Last year's game against Maryland was the time I knew Minnesota was going to suck in football for the next couple years...at least. This season the UMN fan base mantra will be, "Thank you sir, may I have another."
Kicked our @$$ in a game We held the lead with 5 mins remaining? Ok.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cut him some slack. He's still upset about the Russians charging San Juan Hill and the Nazis sneak attack of Pearl Harbor...

Yep...kicked our @$$. I was at the game watching us flounder. That game gave a precursor to us being b!tch slapped 70-0 in the last two games of the season.

Yep...kicked our @$$. I was at the game watching us flounder. That game gave a precursor to us being b!tch slapped 70-0 in the last two games of the season.

Do you ever get tried of trolling? I'll give you credit, sometimes it's pretty good and I get a good laugh. Other times like this, you sound like a complete idiot.

My thoughts exactly.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's not Ohio St, coupled with Wisconsin getting six straight years of Rutgers.

As an old timer and a Michigan fan, I couldn't agree more. Tradition should count for something.
Here, here! Yes. The jug means something, even if it only comes to Minnesota once every 15 years.

Do you ever get tried of trolling? I'll give you credit, sometimes it's pretty good and I get a good laugh. Other times like this, you sound like a complete idiot.

How is it that the hardcore Fleckites that constantly hurl personal insults at people never get banned from this site? Meanwhile, detractors and negatives (in the case of our program, the sane realists) get banned for sayin boo to someone?

If I repeatedly called posters idiots I would've been banned about a month in.

Are you really that much of a snowflake that you think he's honestly "trolling?"

He's saying Maryland came in and embarrassingly beat us, sending the squad into a tailspin. Is the term "@$$ kicked" a little over the top? Sure. Warranting going out of your way to insult the intelligence of someone (which always says something about you're own)? No.

Its not far from the truth. A bad team beat us at home with their 3rd string QB.....we don't even have 3! If that doesn't make you upset, I'm most sure you really care much about the product, which makes your 3 post per day average over 5 years on a Gophers football fan site a little weird (dare I say idiotic? Maybe not, I'll probably be banned).

How is it that the hardcore Fleckites that constantly hurl personal insults at people never get banned from this site? Meanwhile, detractors and negatives (in the case of our program, the sane realists) get banned for sayin boo to someone?

Are you really that much of a snowflake that you think he's honestly "trolling?"

He's saying Maryland came in and embarrassingly beat us, sending the squad into a tailspin. Is the term "@$$ kicked" a little over the top? Sure. Warranting going out of your way to insult the intelligence of someone (which always says something about you're own)? No.

Its not far from the truth. A bad team beat us at home with their 3rd string QB.....we don't even have 3! If that doesn't make you upset, I'm most sure you really care much about the product, which makes your 3 post per day average over 5 years on a Gophers football fan site a little weird (dare I say idiotic? Maybe not, I'll probably be banned).

Troll!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've been trolling in an unfunny way for awhile now and are still allowed to post, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about. And I gave Mennosota some credit for it, because he or she is halfway decent at it, across all boards, not just the football one.

Maryland didn't kick or @ss, not even close. And I guess somehow punting only 3 times in that game was a precursor to getting shutout in the last two? Try harder, you can learn some lessons from Mennosota. Using the term 'snowflake' just further justifies your ignorance.

Every team has a long term cross-divisional game. Look at the schedules of every big ten team.

Nebraska plays Ohio State until 2021
Wisconsin plays Michigan until 2021
Iowa plays Penn State until 2021

After 2021 everyone will rotate who they play cross division for the next 6 years. This was added when we went to a 9 conference game schedule. 1 long-term cross division game, and then 2 that change more frequently for the 3 cross division games.

Every team has a long term cross-divisional game. Look at the schedules of every big ten team.

Nebraska plays Ohio State until 2021
Wisconsin plays Michigan until 2021
Iowa plays Penn State until 2021

After 2021 everyone will rotate who they play cross division for the next 6 years. This was added when we went to a 9 conference game schedule. 1 long-term cross division game, and then 2 that change more frequently for the 3 cross division games.

I recall being a bit miffed when we got the Ohio State and Michigan crossovers and Wisc did the MD and Rutgers trips ....

Historic rivalry.

Both state's start with the letter M.
We also have a rivalry with Michigan.

We should have a trophy. A bust of Randy Edsall. The loser has to take it home.

Top Bottom