Shama: U Football Scheduling

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

U Football Scheduling

Coming off a losing season and two final defeats by a combined score of 70-0, Golden Gopher football ticket sales figure to be flat headed into summer but the box office could get a boost with favorable start times for home games. Five of the seven start times have been announced and so far none are at the dreaded 11 a.m.

Not only that but three games are set for night kickoffs. Some of Minnesota’s best home crowds since 2000 have been for evening games including against TCU in 2015 when a TCF Bank Stadium record attendance of 54,147 was announced.

Minnesota will open its season August 30 with a 6 p.m. game against New Mexico State at TCF Bank Stadium. The bad news is that a work weeknight game isn’t ideal and Minnesota has to battle the State Fair for attention, but positives include the Twins and Vikings are on the road.

Minnesota’s other two home nonconference games on September 8 and 15 begin at 6:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. respectively against Fresno State and Miami (Ohio). Gopher Big Ten home games with Iowa on October 6 and Indiana October 26 will have mid-afternoon and early evening kickoffs. Only the Purdue game November 10 and Northwestern November 17 don’t have start times yet among the seven home games this season.

Indiana is traditionally a poor draw but the October 26 date comes on a Friday evening and if Minnesota is off to a winning start, and the weather is favorable, the Gophers could sell the game out. This is a night sports town on weekends and Gopher fans remember the crowd of 62,374 on a Friday night (October 10, 2003) at the Metrodome when Minnesota played a thriller in losing to Michigan.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

What percentage of his material comes direct from Gopher Hole threads?

I'm excited for a 6:30 game against Fresno :) Pretty good competition and a game we should win, maybe not a helmet school, but the quality and atmosphere should be pretty good!

Not to mention we drew a Halloween night game against Indiana. That will be rocking if the Gophers are even remotely relevant.

I'm excited for a 6:30 game against Fresno :) Pretty good competition and a game we should win, maybe not a helmet school, but the quality and atmosphere should be pretty good!

Not to mention we drew a Halloween night game against Indiana. That will be rocking if the Gophers are even remotely relevant.

Atmosphere at Halloween games has been electric. Agreeing with you, I see no reason why this game won't be.

Halloween is on October 26th this year?

That's a stretch in my book, calling that a Halloween game.

If any kids show up at my house trick-or-treating that night, I will not have any candy for them.

(to be honest, I'm so cheap that on Halloween, I keep my lights off so no one will stop at my house..............)

Halloween is on October 26th this year?

That's a stretch in my book, calling that a Halloween game.

If any kids show up at my house trick-or-treating that night, I will not have any candy for them.

(to be honest, I'm so cheap that on Halloween, I keep my lights off so no one will stop at my house..............)

I have yet to meet a 21 year old kid that does not celebrate Halloween the weekend before Halloween.

Here in Iowa, for reasons that remain unfathomable to me, trick-or-treating is not done on Halloween. It's done, quite confoundingly, on October 30th.

I did not know this my first year here. I was enjoying a nice dinner at home with my new wife when the doorbell rang and I was flabbergasted to find a kid in a Batman costume standing there, holding out a bag. A quick glance down the block confirmed that we were about to be overrun with candy-seeking children. We had to turn off all our lights and hide.

The kids also tell jokes. I really hate pretending to laugh at all of them.

I loved the Halloween game versus Michigan. The costumes in the stands were great. I sat next to a Michigan storm trooper. We had a blast...or is it blaster...

I imagine the first game of the season may be the most fun for Gopherholers as the Aggievision and Casa de Autos jokes start rolling in. [emoji594]

Top Bottom