SportingNews: Minnesota now has one scholarship QB on its roster

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the SportingNews:

Minnesota is down to one scholarship quarterback on its roster less than three months from its 2018 kickoff.

Let that sink in, Big Ten fans.

Junior-college quarterback transfer Victor Viramontes has left the Gophers program, one semester after enrolling, 247Sports.com's Gopher Illustrated confirmed through multiple unidentified sources.

With him gone, Demry Croft having left for Tennessee State and Conor Rhoda graduated, rising redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan is the one scholarship QB on the roster of a team that was 2-7 in the Big Ten (5-7 overall) in 2017.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa...aa-college-football/seb5fe2zxgup1d6ad10j00ki3

Go Gophers!!

This is going to be a very interesting season. Basically two qb’s and nothing really behind them. I have a feeling we might see some wildcat offense. Any of our skilled position players ever play qb cause we might need it

This is going to be a very interesting season. Basically two qb’s and nothing really behind them. I have a feeling we might see some wildcat offense. Any of our skilled position players ever play qb cause we might need it

Tyler Johnson and Seth Green are the two that come to mind!

If the two top guys get hurt, at least it's possible to win with a 3rd stringer.
Maryland proved that.

Phil Howard was QB in high school, and a four sport letter winner as well. Gophs have plenty of great athletes...staff just needs to unlock/develop that talent.

I have eligibility left, but at age 64, I can no longer throw the ball 30 yards.

Phil Howard was QB in high school, and a four sport letter winner as well. Gophs have plenty of great athletes...staff just needs to unlock/develop that talent.

Name the last gopher coach that unlocked the qb solution.

Not that it would help us for this year but boy you'd think the 19' QBs prospects would be licking their chops to get in on this.

And we've now uncovered PJ's soundbite for the year.

We have one scholarship athlete, this is year 0.1.... Everyone knows in college football you don't start the clock until you have 2 qbs.

And then somewhere he'll say Zack A should be a scholarship qb, he's got that much potential.

As long as we are throwing out QB options, Kamal Martin took some snaps in HS.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

As long as we are throwing out QB options, Kamal Martin took some snaps in HS.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Kamal was a really good HS QB. When he was a JR/SO, I didn't think it was out of the realm of possibilities that he ended up playing QB in college. The truth is, he kept growing and was such a good athlete, he became a better a defensive prospect.

But yeah, good point, Kamal was a really good HS QB.

I watched Phillip Howard play QB in highschool. The corner Rey Estes from East St. Louis was a QB too. No shortage of ex QB's on the roster.

Digging through the roster trying to find guys who have QB experience should only be happening late in the season after a couple of guys have suffered season-ending injuries. Not in June.

I watched Phillip Howard play QB in highschool. The corner Rey Estes from East St. Louis was a QB too. No shortage of ex QB's on the roster.

Why does any of this matter now? They’re not QBs anymore and won’t be. Green is the only one who will move back to QB if needed.

Why does any of this matter now? They’re not QBs anymore and won’t be. Green is the only one who will move back to QB if needed.

Just pointing out that Kamal Martin is not the only ex qb on the roster. No context there but the point is that these guys are no longer a QB for a reason, including Green.

We have Jon santanga listed on the roster, I see.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fleck already publicly stated that Green will be the emergency third string.

Having ex-HS QBs on the roster at other positions probably not the same as having an actual Big Ten caliber QB playing the position.

Meh...we were never gonna pass this season anyway...[emoji41]

I took 3 snaps in practice back in 6th grade...

I'm at every home game..... ready to come out of the stands if needed!

1eqFSrO.gif

First, the "1 scholarship QB" thing is kind of disingenuous. You can't out of one side of your mouth say what a coup it is to get a QB that by all accounts should be an FBS scholoeship QB, and out of the other side cry woe is me for him not being on scholarship.

Also, when you pull in a guy like Viramontes on scholarship who is so bad that he gets beaten out by the "non-scholarship QB," that isn't a "bad break," or someone else's fault. It doesn't speak highly of your evaluation techniques.

Lastly, when you move the only other scholarship QB to TE, because you're convinced the non-scholarship guy and awful scholarship JUCO transfer are head and shoulders better, you're really starting to lose credibility in terms of the excuse, IMO.

There seems to be a tone with many that this some debilitating handicap forced onto Fleck, out of which he has to make the best. In reality, Fleck is causing (or persisting) this problem. He's had two recruiting classes to get a JUCO that is remotely competent, a grad transfer, or traditional recruits, etc. beyond a Western Michigan flip and a walk-on.

In the case that Morgan and Annexstad are healthy all year, we should keep the excuse computer running.

First, the "1 scholarship QB" thing is kind of disingenuous. You can't out of one side of your mouth say what a coup it to get a QB that by all accounts should be an FCS scholoeship QB, and out of the other side cry woe is me for him not being on scholarship.

Also, when you pull in a guy like Viramontes in scholarship who is so bad that he gets beaten out by the "non-scholarship QB," tjat doesn't speak to highly of your evaluation.

Lastly, when you move the only other scholarship QB to TE, because you're convinced the non-scholarship guy and awful scholarship JUCO transfer are head and shoulders better, you're really starting to lose credibility in terms of the excuse.

There seems to be a tone with many that this some debilitating handicap forced onto Fleck, out of which he has to make the best. In reality, Fleck is causing (or persisting) this problem. He's had two recruiting classes to get a JUCO that is remotely competent, a grad transfer, or traditional recruits, etc. beyond a Western Michigan flip and a walk-on.

In the case that Morgan and Annexstad are healthy all year, we keep the excuse computer running.

He’s stated he won’t be looking at any grad transfers until a few more years go by, onstensibly to keep the culture free of outside leadership contamination. So, if one of our young gunslingers doesn’t develop in a hurry this may be the metaphorical 40 year walk in the wilderness until the culture club is complete. He has 4 scholarship seniors, 5 juniors, 89 percent of the team is walk on freshmen, facilities that are in the neighborhood, Reusse, Jerry Kill’s recruiting dregs, a three-legged dog, a kicker with the yips, a dope smoking Croft, a delinquent Armstrong, and Fabio converting to LB at a JUCO.

Help me, help you. - J. Maguire

Top Bottom