Reusse: Expectations are all over the map for Gophers athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

Brad Frost, the coach of the women’s hockey team, was among the Gophers coaches spotted among attendees for Friday night’s regional baseball game at Siebert Field. As he stood nearby, I said to the young sports pundit next to me:

“It has been a couple of years since Frost won the national championship, right? He better watch himself.”

Later, I was contemplating how a Gophers fan base — whether minimal, middling or large in size — perceives success for an athletic team.

There are 34 schools in Division I women’s hockey, the Gophers have a dedicated arena, first call on numerous Grade A recruits, and if they don’t win it all, it can’t be a satisfying season.

There are 60 schools in Division I men’s hockey, and while it is now a much more even playing surface since the days the Gophers were referred to as the “Yankees of college hockey,” being in the 16-team NCAA field is an expectation, not an achievement.

New coach Bob Motzko will have to reach a regional final, at a minimum, for a good first impression.

The softball team won a third consecutive Big Ten tournament, thrilling its band of loyalists, and not getting out of a regional has been blamed on unfavorable seeding rather than as a failure.

The baseball team hit the exacta this season, with Big Ten regular-season and tournament titles, but if John Anderson’s Gophers don’t get out of this home field regional, it will be seen as a disappointment and not misfortune.

Then there’s basketball:

Marlene Stollings was 11-5 in the Big Ten last season, 38-30 overall and 1-2 in the NCAA tournament in four seasons. The fans were happy to see her leave and open the Barn’s doors for Lindsay Whalen.

Richard Pitino was 4-14 in the Big Ten last season, and he’s 31-59 overall and 0-1 in the NCAA in five seasons, and the hoop(le) heads say, “Give him time.”

Lastly, football: A computer tells us Minnesota has the easiest 12-game schedule in the Big Ten, and yet the Goldy Gullibles are ready to define 6-6 and rejoining the 70 percent of Power Five teams that play in a bowl game as success in what’s-his-name’s second season.

Standards at the U are interesting.

http://www.startribune.com/expectations-are-all-over-the-map-for-gophers-athletics/484393341/

Go Gophers!!

Well Pat, standards are all over the board for sport writers as well. For you the expectations of a quality article are low, meaning worthless. Assuming the paper doesn't pay you much for your inferior thoughts.

Top Bottom