Report: QB Vic Viramontes will transfer after one semester at Minnesota

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Gophers quarterback Vic Viramontes will transfer out of the program, according to 24/Sports. A source close to GopherHole confirmed this report and said “he would like to get closer to home.” Viramontes will be returning to Riverside Community College (RCC) after spending just one semester in Minnesota.

The top quarterback in the JUCO ranks, Viramontes transferred to Minnesota and was an early-enrollee in January. Viramontes threw for 1,868 yards and 22 touchdowns, while rushing for a state-high 1,346 yards and 21 touchdowns last year at RCC. He was brought in to compete for the starting quarterback job, but was falling down the depth chart this spring. In the spring game, Viramontes completed just one of his three passes and had two fumbles.

Morgan, a redshirt freshman quarterback, is likely ahead in the race after a strong string campaign. Preferred walk-on Zack Annexstad was showing growth at the position after turning down multiple Power-5 offers to join the Gophers. These two quarterbacks were the current leaders in the race, so with Viramontes transferring, the competition has narrowed.

Meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gophers now have 3 RS freshmen and one true freshmen as QB's. Hoping for a grad transfer to provide some depth. Not sure if they ask Green to go back to QB or not

Gophers quarterback Vic Viramontes will transfer out of the program, according to 24/Sports. A source close to GopherHole confirmed this report and said “he would like to get closer to home.” Viramontes will be returning to Riverside Community College after spending just one semester in Minnesota.

The top quarterback in the JUCO ranks, Viramontes transferred to Minnesota and was an early-enrollee in January. Viramontes threw for 1,868 yards and 22 touchdowns, while rushing for a state-high 1,346 yards and 21 touchdowns last year. He was brought in to compete for the starting quarterback job, but was falling down the depth chart this spring. In the spring game, Viramontes completed just one of his three passes and had two fumbles.

Morgan, a redshirt freshman quarterback, is likely ahead in the race after a strong string campaign. Preferred walk-on Zack Annexstad was showing growth at the position after turning down multiple Power-5 offers to join the Gophers. These two quarterbacks were the current leaders in the race, so with Viramontes transferring, the competition has narrowed.

The Gophers are down to four QBs after losing Jaran Roste and Viramontes. That means more practice snaps for RS Freshman Sam Peckerign and Jon Santaga.

Viramontes transferring may increase the chances of QB prospects getting more interested. Morgan is the only QB on scholie on the roster with Kramer in 2019.

Maybe Jacob Clark, Maverick McIvor, or others even maybe a transfer.

Well it was a good run, Good luck Vic

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

From what I remember, isn't Tanner Morgan supposed to be a good pocket passer? After all the quarterbacks we've had lately that couldn't throw the ball it would be a nice change of pass to have someone with the potential who can throw well.

I find this to be really bizarre. If he thought he was going to get considerable playing time he would not be leaving. All of a sudden six wins is looking more like a pipe dream this year.

It appears he was homesick and 3rd on the QB depth chart. Still not a good situation.

It appears he was homesick and 3rd on the QB depth chart. Still not a good situation.

The loss of Max Duggan to TCU really stings. Viramontes is not the first player from warm states to transfer due to homesickness.

I find this to be really bizarre. If he thought he was going to get considerable playing time he would not be leaving. All of a sudden six wins is looking more like a pipe dream this year.

Confused on how the transfer of a QB who has yet to play any D1 snaps and was apparently 3rd on the depth chart has any effect on our ability to win 6 games?? Did you have Vic pegged as our savior because of his JUCO stats?

Gophers quarterback Vic Viramontes will transfer out of the program, according to 24/Sports. A source close to GopherHole confirmed this report and said “he would like to get closer to home.” Viramontes will be returning to Riverside Community College (RCC) after spending just one semester in Minnesota.

The top quarterback in the JUCO ranks, Viramontes transferred to Minnesota and was an early-enrollee in January. Viramontes threw for 1,868 yards and 22 touchdowns, while rushing for a state-high 1,346 yards and 21 touchdowns last year at RCC. He was brought in to compete for the starting quarterback job, but was falling down the depth chart this spring. In the spring game, Viramontes completed just one of his three passes and had two fumbles.

I believe that this was reported earlier in a separate thread. Please merge this into the original thread.

The loss of Max Duggan to TCU really stings. Viramontes is not the first player from warm states to transfer due to homesickness.

Yea, and if you believe it was because of “homesickness”, I got a pair of tickets to the 2016 Super Bowl that I will sell you at half price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Confused on how the transfer of a QB who has yet to play any D1 snaps and was apparently 3rd on the depth chart has any effect on our ability to win 6 games?? Did you have Vic pegged as our savior because of his JUCO stats?

Not a savior at all, just thought once he got his feet under him a bit he would add a nice dimension to that position. He had the only experience on our roster at the QB position. Certainly hope I am wrong on the six win comment.

per RandBall:

The Gophers' Vic Viramontes leaves no lasting impression

Three thoughts from the weekend in sports:

1 The latest confirmation that the seduction of possibility often leads a harsh reality in sports arrives this weekend with the news that quarterback prospect Vic Viramontes is transferring from the Gophers football program.

Even by the standards of Minnesota sports — and particularly Gophers football and especially that program’s star-crossed QB history — this love affair was brief and unsatisfying.

Viramontes enrolled in January as a highly touted junior college transfer and was the presumed front-runner in a quarterback battle thin on experience. A few months later, he was clearly third-string and reportedly on his way back to California to be a linebacker.

Chalk it up as a recruiting miss on P.J. Fleck’s part, but more so as a lesson learned for those of us who continue to buy into the hype before a real down, inning, period or quarter are played.

We will have more chances this month to temper our enthusiasm when the Twins (on Monday) as well as the Wild and Wolves (later in June) make selections in their respective drafts.

I’m sure none of us will be seduced by potential ever again.

http://www.startribune.com/the-gophers-vic-viramontes-leaves-no-lasting-impression/484434051/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom