Viramontes transferring

Why are you all so negative about this?
We have a clear front-runner at QB. That's a good thing. Someone took control of the job. We should be happy about that, especially after the constant drama of last season.

The only downside is that we have no depth at QB whatsoever. That is a major downside, but thus are the struggles of a CFB regime change.
Fleck will figure it out.

Same thing as this site. Everybody loved him. Now, it is no big loss.

It's a loss. Probably not a bust or programming shaping loss as some described it...but it's a loss.

I have no knowledge what happened, so I'm not going to guess on his abilities, knowledge, situation etc. I was hoping at minimum he could be a good QB2 and possible change of pace QB while keeping a RS on Annexstad to spread out the QB scholarships.

Back to the drawing board

This is a bad look for the program. If he is so bad that he couldn't be our backup QB (preserve Annexstad's RS and give us a running dimension), then it was an awful job of talent evaluation.

This is all starting to feel a little more Brewster-esque. He have had some nice recruits that helped our "rating" in guys like Beck, Handy-Holly, and Vic and now, here we are. We are dependent on two FR QBs (one of them a walk-on), we somehow still lack depth at S.

I've never understood the thought process that someone transferring is a "bad look" for the program. Players transfer All.The.Time. It's part of the fabric of college sports. And no position group transfers more than quarterbacks.

You could certainly argue that this hurts Minnesota's depth. You could certainly argue that VV apparently wasn't good enough and Fleck shouldn't have offered him a scholarship. You could certainly argue that this could hurt Minnesota's chances this fall. Some of those may be true. Maybe all of them are true. Maybe none of them are true.

But it's certainly not a "bad look" for the program to have a kid transfer who wasn't going to see playing time.

Same thing as this site. Everybody loved him. Now, it is no big loss.

You are forgetting that we do have some experience in the Gopher’s system. Based upon practices, he got back up time in the scrimmage and was benched. That could have changed a few minds that had expectations based upon the recruiting hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a good look for Fleck when you now look back at that recruiting class for QB. I guess he did get Annexstad, which could be our starter. I guess this happens, but I guess my expectations are a little higher for Fleck too. Seems like Vic was a big miss on a crucial position after already missing out on Fleck’s first target.

I was thinking the same thing...the talk that Fleck found a diamond in the rough that others had missed. Can't imagine the hate that would have been posted if this happened and TC was still HC.

The flip side to that is Fleck did get Annexstad as well, and I think he will prove to be the starter by the end of August.

Yup. Would be brutal on tc.

And I hope you are correct about Annexstad.

It's only a poor decision if opportunity cost exceeds what we did receive. Whom did we lose by taking Vic?

Probably not a starter and likely not a contributor. Maybe just our academic score takes a hit.

What did we gain? PJ got information. We took a chance on Vic.

Matter of fact the timing means PJ Did something right for both the gophers and this kid. Likely told him he doesn't have shot playing QB D1. Kid gets a shot, we get clarity.

PJ didn't worry about sunk costs, he cut sling load when he should have. That's objectively proper decision making.

Fleck couldn’t figure out his skills before offering? That he was never a big qb?

Information. Sure thing. Super recruiters sign players for information. Nice excuse list.

Well there’s goes our shot at the first three time Heisman Trophy winner.

Fleck couldn’t figure out his skills before offering? That he was never a big qb?

Information. Sure thing. Super recruiters sign players for information. Nice excuse list.

I forgot that all 85 scholarship players turn out to be starters. Silly me.

No need to panic. Wait, what? One scholarship QB? The presumed backup played half a season in high school?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gd6aLnPHqeE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who said that?

Admit a huge miss by pj and company.

Why is this a "huge" miss?

It's one player, just like any number of players who don't pan out....

I don't think we're on the hook for any guaranteed salary long term here ...

Transfers everywhere in college football. 5 stars and 4 stars players don't pan out. I agree, not sure why people are ripping on Fleck for this.

No worries. This is essentially year Zero.1 anyway.

Transfers everywhere in college football. 5 stars and 4 stars players don't pan out. I agree, not sure why people are ripping on Fleck for this.

You seriously don't see an issue with having true freshman Annexstad as the #2? At worst I think many though VV could be a backup to Morgan while VV and Annexstad got acclimated to the system and VV would come in as a backup or later in the season. At best the scenario was VV develops as a passer into a true dual threat weapon.

I presume they will make a move back to Green as the emergency option or possibly go whole hog on Annexstad playing as a first year but that seems to go against PJ's oft-stated philosophy on not giving away the future for what we need today.

Huge miss on a starting qb. Arguably the most important position. I am sure pj brought him in and sang his praises to have him in mn less than 6 months.

Huge miss on a starting qb. Arguably the most important position. I am sure pj brought him in and sang his praises to have him in mn less than 6 months.

Agreed. Fleck is lucky that Annexstad didn’t go elsewhere for a scholarship.

Such strange logic. If Viramontes was the starter, would you say that Morgan was a "huge miss" as a starting quarterback?

What does Fleck singing the praises of Viramontes have to do with anything? Coaches sing the praises of every scholarship player.

This was my point earlier, which you seemed not quite able to comprehend: Not all 85 scholarship players will be starters. One of those players, at a position most likely to transfer, decides he's not good enough to get playing time and decides to transfer. Nothing more complicated than that.

We'd all like to have him, for depth purposes if nothing else, but that doesn't make it a "huge miss" or a "bad look" or any other kind of catch phrase that can be trotted out.

Such strange logic. If Viramontes was the starter, would you say that Morgan was a "huge miss" as a starting quarterback?

What does Fleck singing the praises of Viramontes have to do with anything? Coaches sing the praises of every scholarship player.

This was my point earlier, which you seemed not quite able to comprehend: Not all 85 scholarship players will be starters. One of those players, at a position most likely to transfer, decides he's not good enough to get playing time and decides to transfer. Nothing more complicated than that.

We'd all like to have him, for depth purposes if nothing else, but that doesn't make it a "huge miss" or a "bad look" or any other kind of catch phrase that can be trotted out.

Never said it was complicated. To be clear you feel he was brought here for depth?

One thing you ignore is he was here less than 6 months. The top jc qb. You and I both know it was a big miss. One of us won’t admit it.

JUCOs are usually brought in if the coaches think they can contribute immediately or at least within a year.

JUCOs are usually brought in if the coaches think they can contribute immediately or at least within a year.

I think it’s a huge miss and that’s been the problem with our QB’s. Shoot even Texas Tech can have three QB’s on the roster at once that ended up starting at different power 5 schools: Davis Webb, Michael Brewer, and Patrick Mahomes. I mean we can’t even get one that is half way decent!

You seriously don't see an issue with having true freshman Annexstad as the #2? At worst I think many though VV could be a backup to Morgan while VV and Annexstad got acclimated to the system and VV would come in as a backup or later in the season. At best the scenario was VV develops as a passer into a true dual threat weapon.

I presume they will make a move back to Green as the emergency option or possibly go whole hog on Annexstad playing as a first year but that seems to go against PJ's oft-stated philosophy on not giving away the future for what we need today.

I'm thinking Annexstad will emerge as the starter by the Fall. With only what, 15 practices, he was barely behind a RS QB who had all last year to learn the offense.

I'm thinking Annexstad will emerge as the starter by the Fall. With only what, 15 practices, he was barely behind a RS QB who had all last year to learn the offense.

I cordially disagree but we can all have opinions on this. Time will tell. That’s NOT a knock on Annexstad but he’s pretty green and IMO PJ is likely going to redshirt if at all possible. Pretty much all scenarios are on the table when he haven’t seen any of the QBs play a single snap.

Just hold on a minute.

Coaches sometimes miss on recruits? How can this be??

One thing you ignore is he was here less than 6 months. The top jc qb. You and I both know it was a big miss. One of us won’t admit it.

Kinda seems like maybe all the folks responsible for ranking him as the best JUCO QB in the country may have whiffed a little too, eh?

Kinda seems like maybe all the folks responsible for ranking him as the best JUCO QB in the country may have whiffed a little too, eh?

Are you concerned about those that ranked him 1 or the fact that pj recruited him heavily, he signed and left in less than 6 months? From the school you support?

My point is pj whiffed, in your terms. You just can’t flat out agree with me. We both know why oh gee.

Does losing this highly rated player mean that this is no longer the highest rated class in the "internet era"?

Top Bottom