Viramontes transferring

Oh please...I've heard it all now. Yeah I'm sure Annexstad had to talk his way onto the team with other P5 scholarship offers and his brother already here. If Annexstad wanted a scholarship, Fleck would have given him one, especially after Armstrong decommitted.

He wanted to come here. PJ didn't offer a scholarship. Armstrong decommitted in Nov., yet PJ still didn't offer. Yes I get he was committed to coming here as a PWO, but why not offer at that point, if he is a guy you as a coach believe in?

One more time, when in the past 50 years has ANY college FB team went into a season with 1 scholarship QB on the roster AND has none on the roster who have ever taken a snap in a college game?

I find it hard to believe he won’t redshirt Annexstad at all costs based on events last season. Having VV around as #2 would have been helpful.

I agree — it would have been ideal to have VV as the backup so Annexstad could redshirt. If for no other reason to separate him from Morgan's class since they will both be freshmen.

Why wouldn’t Annexstad want a scholarship? Unless one comes from a wealthy family it’s still a significant number to attend college. Cost of attendance + future costs of any loans are not insignificant. I understand that his love for and desire to play for the home school outweighs the cost but I find it hard to believe he doesn’t want a scholarship if one were available and offered.

I might have this all wrong, but it rings a little bell here that there was 1 scholarship left and Zach passed on it the make room for both Dunlap and Faalele. Brown would have come too had there been another scholarship. The Annexstad family bleeds Maroon and Gold. I am open to being corrected, but make sure it is a correction, please.

I wish VV had stayed here to be a LB. I assume that wasn't an option for him.

I might have this all wrong, but it rings a little bell here that there was 1 scholarship left and Zach passed on it the make room for both Dunlap and Faalele. Brown would have come too had there been another scholarship. The Annexstad family bleeds Maroon and Gold. I am open to being corrected, but make sure it is a correction, please.

I wish VV had stayed here to be a LB. I assume that wasn't an option for him.

Already homesick and coming here in January and getting a full frontal taste of a blizzard IMHO will not keep him here. Switching to LB would have to be done elsewhere.

He has three strikes against him - The cold weather, homesickness, and the harsh reality of not being able to crack the starting lineup.

PJ Fleck wanted him to compete to be a starter. I think PJ Fleck took a chance on him based of input from other coaches and film thinking it is worth the risk if he pans out.

He appears to be a good kid, but handles stress different than fellow Californian Wolitarski. Like his JC coach stated, his challenge is to learn the passing offense which will take time he doesn't have. If he could, he may be a great QB. Didn't he already use up his red shirt? This is the pitfall of transferring so often.

It is a perfect storm of things to go wrong.

He didn't, so your question is completely invalid. He left leaving us with 1, I repeat 1 scholarship QB and three walk-ons. Not a one of them has ever taken a snap in a college football game. They are all FR or R-Fr. How can anyone with any football sense think that this is ok or we can't make a judgement about how things have been handled to this point. They have recruited, signed and retained 1 QB, forced or mutually agreed with others to leave and or find a new position and have recruited and retained 3 walk ons. The one QB who had played, there were major conflicts between him and the coaching staff. Who's at fault - both. Now DC wasn't exactly lighting it up, but another body on the team who has actually taken snaps would be nice.
PJ doesn't get to use this as an excuse, because he made this bed. This, his 2nd year, is on him.
If Morgan and Annexstad stay healthy and they show improvement from spring to the beginning of the year and then as the season progresses, then all should be ok this coming year. If injuries happen or they had their shining moment in the spring, then we are looking at going backwards...again.

You would lose your mind if you went over to the basketball board. A few people there tried to argue that our bball team's lack of depth last season was Tubby's fault.

You would lose your mind if you went over to the basketball board. A few people there tried to argue that our bball team's lack of depth last season was Tubby's fault.

Almost as amusing as the argument that Tubby hurt Pitino by leaving him the two Hollins.

He wanted to come here. PJ didn't offer a scholarship. Armstrong decommitted in Nov., yet PJ still didn't offer. Yes I get he was committed to coming here as a PWO, but why not offer at that point, if he is a guy you as a coach believe in?

One more time, when in the past 50 years has ANY college FB team went into a season with 1 scholarship QB on the roster AND has none on the roster who have ever taken a snap in a college game?

you are seeing this clearly. It appears Fleck has blown the QB position as bad as Kill did. Kill signs Western Michigan's Zach Terrell and we are winners...but we never did.

I go there quite often, just don't post much.

Again, this is only a problem for the Gophers IF
1. Neither Morgan or Annexstad play well, or
2. They both get hurt.

Granted, the depth at QB is thin. Protecting the QB will be paramount this season - big onus on new OL Coach to keep QB's upright.

And, just thinking out loud, I am not expecting to see a lot of designed QB runs this year. I suspect the QB's will be running only when necessary for reasons of survival. Kirk C had better make sure they know how to throw the ball away. I'd rather take an incompletion or even a grounding penalty as opposed to seeing the QB take a big shot and risk injury.

And again Fleck has taken 2 P5 scholarship level QBs in 2 classes, one just didn't need a scholarship to come here because of his situation.

Every college coach tries to take 1 QB per class, which Fleck has done. He rolled the dice with a JUCO QB, who apparently isn't cut out to be a QB at this level.

To answer your latter question? I have no idea. That's far more on the poor recruiting of the previous regime than it is Fleck.

And again Fleck has taken 2 P5 scholarship level QBs in 2 classes, one just didn't need a scholarship to come here because of his situation.

Every college coach tries to take 1 QB per class, which Fleck has done. He rolled the dice with a JUCO QB, who apparently isn't cut out to be a QB at this level.

To answer your latter question? I have no idea. That's far more on the poor recruiting of the previous regime than it is Fleck.

Crack recruting!

I agree — it would have been ideal to have VV as the backup so Annexstad could redshirt. If for no other reason to separate him from Morgan's class since they will both be freshmen.
Why would it be ideal to have a crappy qb as 1st backup.... PJ has been accused of trying to not win games and this sounds like it would fit that scenario... put in your crappy qb to save a redshirt on a better player...I can hear the bitching now....

This just doesn't seem as confusing to me as to most people. Maybe I'm losing it. But here's how I see it: Viramontes was brought in to compete at QB. With the exception of a session of spring practices, he never did. That's why we can't say with any certainty what he would have ended up like - scrub, backup, starter - who knows? No one does.

We also can't draw any conclusions from the fact that he's switching positions. My guess is that, like many college players, he's dreaming of the next level. He's probably now realized that no matter what his ceiling is at Minnesota - scrub, backup, starter - he won't be playing quarterback at the professional level. He's an outstanding athlete, so where does his mind go? To another position at which he might have a shot at the NFL.

Not a recruiting "failure" or a "swing and a miss". He may have ended up as a valuable backup or even the starter. Who knows? Just a situation where a kid has come to a realization of what his strengths and weaknesses are, and is acting accordingly.

If someone recommends the prime rib at a restaurant, and I see someone else enjoying the prime rib, and so I order the prime rib, and it unfortunately comes back hard as a hockey puck because the chef got distracted, that doesn't mean my order was a "failure" or a "swing and a miss". It means circumstances beyond my control affected the order. I made a good order. It just didn't work out.

Unfortunately, we can't return Viramontes for some chicken marsala.

This just doesn't seem as confusing to me as to most people. Maybe I'm losing it. But here's how I see it: Viramontes was brought in to compete at QB. With the exception of a session of spring practices, he never did. That's why we can't say with any certainty what he would have ended up like - scrub, backup, starter - who knows? No one does.

We also can't draw any conclusions from the fact that he's switching positions. My guess is that, like many college players, he's dreaming of the next level. He's probably now realized that no matter what his ceiling is at Minnesota - scrub, backup, starter - he won't be playing quarterback at the professional level. He's an outstanding athlete, so where does his mind go? To another position at which he might have a shot at the NFL.

Not a recruiting "failure" or a "swing and a miss". He may have ended up as a valuable backup or even the starter. Who knows? Just a situation where a kid has come to a realization of what his strengths and weaknesses are, and is acting accordingly.

If someone recommends the prime rib at a restaurant, and I see someone else enjoying the prime rib, and so I order the prime rib, and it unfortunately comes back hard as a hockey puck because the chef got distracted, that doesn't mean my order was a "failure" or a "swing and a miss". It means circumstances beyond my control affected the order. I made a good order. It just didn't work out.

Unfortunately, we can't return Viramontes for some chicken marsala.

Circumstances beyond pj's control.......

Whatever makes you feel good.

2. They both get hurt.

Granted, the depth at QB is thin. Protecting the QB will be paramount this season - big onus on new OL Coach to keep QB's upright.

And, just thinking out loud, I am not expecting to see a lot of designed QB runs this year. I suspect the QB's will be running only when necessary for reasons of survival. Kirk C had better make sure they know how to throw the ball away. I'd rather take an incompletion or even a grounding penalty as opposed to seeing the QB take a big shot and risk injury.

Fleck's RPO offense does not rely on the QB to be an integral part of the run game, so those types runs should be at a minimum, but the P part of his RPO has to at least be credible enough so the defenses can't just do what they did last year. If they do, Gophs need to adjust and take advantage.

Fleck's RPO offense does not rely on the QB to be an integral part of the run game, so those types runs should be at a minimum, but the P part of his RPO has to at least be credible enough so the defenses can't just do what they did last year. If they do, Gophs need to adjust and take advantage.

If we model ourselves on spread RPO teams like Penn State - even with a generational running back and some top tier receivers and tight ends were that much better because of McSorley's ability to run. He doesn't have to be M. Vick but to relegate that aspect isn't ideal IMO. The recruitment process of an apparently pretty immobile Jacob Clark is interesting. Penn States offensive philosophy change and move on from statue-like C. Hackenburg made an unbelievable difference for them,

Very non-responsive response. What specific part of my post do you disagree with?

You are laying all the responsibility on vv and none on pj. Clear?

Oh and what was pj in control of specifically with respect to vv recruitment?

You are laying all the responsibility on vv and none on pj. Clear?

Oh and what was pj in control of specifically with respect to vv recruitment?

You're a bitter and angry guy for some reason. I, on the other hand, am enjoying a couple nice cocktails on the patio with the wife, so I'm in a very good mood.

Not that I'm necessarily planning on checking back in tonight because your opinion doesn't interest me much, but in the interests of thoroughness I'll ask you again because you don't have a great command of the English language: What specifically in my post on the Viramontes situation did you disagree with? Don't paint in generalities. Find me a line or two that you disagreed with and tell me why.

Or don't. I don't care.

You're a bitter and angry guy for some reason. I, on the other hand, am enjoying a couple nice cocktails on the patio with the wife, so I'm in a very good mood.

Not that I'm necessarily planning on checking back in tonight because your opinion doesn't interest me much, but in the interests of thoroughness I'll ask you again because you don't have a great command of the English language: What specifically in my post on the Viramontes situation did you disagree with? Don't paint in generalities. Find me a line or two that you disagreed with and tell me why.

Or don't. I don't care.

Your line about circumstances beyond your control, implying retention of vv beyond pj control. Do you understand? Need it a bit clearer?

Now answer the questions English professor.

The Fleck delusion only gets stronger.

Annexstad was not a scholarship QB. I'm glad he appears to have worked out, but that doesn't change reality, he is a walk-on. We did not offer him a scholarship.

As far as coaches wanting to take 1 QB per class. . .yeah, our situation wasn't quite like most situations. We moved our RS FR QB to TE and our JR QB transferred. We have a MASSIVE whole in our depth chart at QB. PJ's miss on VV has made this even more glaring.

The answer to the last question is that the previous staff didn't recruit QB well and since PJ has taken over, he has somehow made the QB position worse. He failed on VV - the only scholarship QB in his first full class, recruiting into a dumpster fire of a situation. It was an awful miss.

Annexstad was not a scholarship QB. I'm glad he appears to have worked out, but that doesn't change reality, he is a walk-on. We did not offer him a scholarship.

As far as coaches wanting to take 1 QB per class. . .yeah, our situation wasn't quite like most situations. We moved our RS FR QB to TE and our JR QB transferred. We have a MASSIVE whole in our depth chart at QB. PJ's miss on VV has made this even more glaring.

The answer to the last question is that the previous staff didn't recruit QB well and since PJ has taken over, he has somehow made the QB position worse. He failed on VV - the only scholarship QB in his first full class, recruiting into a dumpster fire of a situation. It was an awful miss.

Has he made it worse? You maybe right but we still have a season of football ahead of us with two men who may or may not be successful. Didn't Alabama just win a national championship with a freshman quarterback? If these two men do very well then what the hell, we'll never recruit a quarterback, right? Who would want to sit behind the dynamic duo for years. Anyway, not disagreeing just pointing out that life is full of inconsistencies and surprises.

He's taken 1 scholarship QB and the one he did bring in was going to WMU, but flipped to here once PJ did. Annexstad is a walk-on.
PJ missed badly on VV. He did roll the dice and crapped out in a hurry with him.

PJ is the one who switched on to TE, kicked another off the team, and had differences of opinion with the other who then decided to leave. Those three were recruited by previous, correct, but PJ didn't or couldn't find a way to work with them and they are gone. That part is on him.

2. They both get hurt.

And, just thinking out loud, I am not expecting to see a lot of designed QB runs this year. I suspect the QB's will be running only when necessary for reasons of survival.

Have to disagree with you on this SON.
This will have an impact on the coming season.
Here's why. Lets say we are at tOSU and it's in the 4th quarter. We are 4th and 2 from midfield with under 2 to go in the game and down by 2. Rodney had been running well up to the 4th quarter, but tOSU has shut him down now as they are loading up more to stop him. The QB run would be there, but we have no viable back up QB at this point. What's Kirk going to call. a run to Rodney or a pass, but more than likely not a QB run as they don't want to risk injury. That limits what the offense can do. Game doesn't even have to be against tOSU it could be at anytime in the year.
Also, how happy is anyone going to be seeing the QB back to pass on third down, gets a little pressure and rather than step up in pocket and take off running through a wide open lane for a first down, he throws it away because that's what he was coached to do so he would stay healthy. Teams won't ever spy the QB and now we're playing 10 on 11. The D will double the top WR and still be able to send 5.

Annexstad had P5 scholarship offers, and is on our roster, yes or no? The answer is yes.

So we have two P5 scholarship worthy QBs that Fleck recruited in two years. He's not going to keep going down the rabbit hole of trying to make athletes QBs like the previous regime did, and moved them to the positions they belong. I have no problem with that. In the long run it'll work out better for us rather than forcing QBs who are incapable to 4th or 5th place finishes in the B1G west.

Here's why. Lets say we are at tOSU and it's in the 4th quarter. We are 4th and 2 from midfield with under 2 to go in the game and down by 2. Rodney had been running well up to the 4th quarter, but tOSU has shut him down now as they are loading up more to stop him. The QB run would be there, but we have no viable back up QB at this point. What's Kirk going to call. a run to Rodney or a pass, but more than likely not a QB run as they don't want to risk injury. That limits what the offense can do. Game doesn't even have to be against tOSU it could be at anytime in the year.
Also, how happy is anyone going to be seeing the QB back to pass on third down, gets a little pressure and rather than step up in pocket and take off running through a wide open lane for a first down, he throws it away because that's what he was coached to do so he would stay healthy. Teams won't ever spy the QB and now we're playing 10 on 11. The D will double the top WR and still be able to send 5.

I find it funny when people worry about something like this.

If you’re calling plays expecting a guy to get injured or worried about it, you are coaching scared and should not be coaching power 5 college football. It’s the same idea with a team like Texas a & m with Manziel. Do you think they had a backup who could do what he did? Did it look like it stopped Sumlin from calling the plays? You coach to win the game, not with fear of a possible injury in your head

Annexstad had P5 scholarship offers, and is on our roster, yes or no? The answer is yes.

So we have two P5 scholarship worthy QBs that Fleck recruited in two years. He's not going to keep going down the rabbit hole of trying to make athletes QBs like the previous regime did, and moved them to the positions they belong. I have no problem with that. In the long run it'll work out better for us rather than forcing QBs who are incapable to 4th or 5th place finishes in the B1G west.

Why are you doing this kind of mental gymnastics - did we offer Annexstad a scholarship? Is he on scholarship? No. He is a walk-on QB.

He might be P5 scholarship worthy, a lot of walk-ons turn out to be, but he is not on scholarship. This is reality.

I know you're obsessed with bringing up the previous regime. You can blame them if you'd like. But now Fleck has had two recruiting classes to address a dumpster fire of a QB position (Kill and Claeys fault) and he made it worse (PJ's fault).

Maybe things will work out with Annexstand and Morgan and they are ready right now and stay healthy. Hopefully that is what happens, but if you can't see that this was a horrible management of the most important position on the team, there is really no point in ever having any sort of debate with you until PJ is gone.

Omg.... if the staff is calling plays worried about injury, why was Rodney on the field in the scenario above? Who us his backup?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why are you doing this kind of mental gymnastics - did we offer Annexstad a scholarship? Is he on scholarship? No. He is a walk-on QB.

He might be P5 scholarship worthy, a lot of walk-ons turn out to be, but he is not on scholarship. This is reality.

I know you're obsessed with bringing up the previous regime. You can blame them if you'd like. But now Fleck has had two recruiting classes to address a dumpster fire of a QB position (Kill and Claeys fault) and he made it worse (PJ's fault).

Maybe things will work out with Annexstand and Morgan and they are ready right now and stay healthy. Hopefully that is what happens, but if you can't see that this was a horrible management of the most important position on the team, there is really no point in ever having any sort of debate with you until PJ is gone.

Spot on. Gwg will not admit pj has not succeeded in qb recruitment.

Top Bottom