Viramontes transferring

Thomas Builds-the-Fire:
Hey Victor! I'm sorry 'bout your dad.

Victor Joseph:
How'd you hear about it?

Thomas Builds-the-Fire:
I heard it on the wind. I heard it from the birds. I felt it in the sunlight. And your mom was just in here cryin'.

Agree it's too soon to know one way or another. I think the point some are making is VV is apparently dropping down to play LB after a very short audition. It's not ideal. If this were an unpopular coach the reaction would likely be different but PJ is still in the honeymoon phase for probably a solid majority and gets the benefit of the doubt.

That's the part that stands out and posters seem to want to gloss over...he's going back to the same CC (much lower level of play) into a different position on the other side of the ball.

Agree it's too soon to know one way or another. I think the point some are making is VV is apparently dropping down to play LB after a very short audition. It's not ideal. If this were an unpopular coach the reaction would likely be different but PJ is still in the honeymoon phase for probably a solid majority and gets the benefit of the doubt.

If it were tc gwg would be firing on all cylinders.

I like how the apologists are saying no big deal. In the past scholarships, each and every one, were vitally important. Now a guy leaving in 6 months is acceptable.

If VV would have stayed on the roster as the #2 behind Tanner Morgan and seen little to no action this year, would that have been a failure on Fleck's part? I'm guessing most would say no, assuming that we get good QB play out of Morgan.

So now, given that Annexstad has exceeded expectations and is solidly the #2, it means it is a failure? Is the answer that VV is that bad, or that Annexstad is that good? Until I know the answer to this, I don't have an opinion. Other than that I don't like have only 2 QBs and 1 scholarship QB on the roster.
He didn't, so your question is completely invalid. He left leaving us with 1, I repeat 1 scholarship QB and three walk-ons. Not a one of them has ever taken a snap in a college football game. They are all FR or R-Fr. How can anyone with any football sense think that this is ok or we can't make a judgement about how things have been handled to this point. They have recruited, signed and retained 1 QB, forced or mutually agreed with others to leave and or find a new position and have recruited and retained 3 walk ons. The one QB who had played, there were major conflicts between him and the coaching staff. Who's at fault - both. Now DC wasn't exactly lighting it up, but another body on the team who has actually taken snaps would be nice.
PJ doesn't get to use this as an excuse, because he made this bed. This, his 2nd year, is on him.
If Morgan and Annexstad stay healthy and they show improvement from spring to the beginning of the year and then as the season progresses, then all should be ok this coming year. If injuries happen or they had their shining moment in the spring, then we are looking at going backwards...again.

That's the part that stands out and posters seem to want to gloss over...he's going back to the same CC (much lower level of play) into a different position on the other side of the ball.

So you’d be fine if he stayed here and switched to LB?

Sure, maybe PJ massively failed to properly evaluate VV, resulting in a pretty big mess at QB.

Or maybe PJ knew exactly what he was getting with VV, but was so desperate for a QB he recruited him anyway and hoped (prayed) he'd improve once he arrived. The "throwing sh!t against the wall" theory.

Or maybe PJ expected VV to win the job even at his current skill level (making for a rough season), but Morgan and Annexstad improved so much and so fast that even PJ was surprised, making VV an afterthought.

In the end, nobody knows. Trying to assign blame in this situation seems like an exercise in futilty (and much like arguing a political opinion, something that can be spun any way a person wants -- with those on the other side unlikely to change their minds), but that's the nature of discussion boards, I guess. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of whiffs in both recruiting and the NFL (and NBA, MLB, and NHL) draft every year. No shame in missing on one. So even if PJ did massive fail here (which again, isn't a certainty), it's really not unusual.

He was according to ESPN. I'm sure that doesn't count though right?

Sure, it counts. ESPN is known for their crack evaluations and with all their recent personnel additions surely went back and re-evaluated late in 2017. I’m sure a guy that lost his starting gig in HS is going to rip it up in the Big Ten.

Sure, it counts. ESPN is known for their crack evaluations and with all their recent personnel additions surely went back and re-evaluated late in 2017. I’m sure a guy that lost his starting gig in HS is going to rip it up in the Big Ten.

It's not like IMG is your normal high school. Both Sitkowski and Annexstad could become good B1G QBs.

I'm kinda lost on the idea of some sort of massive evaluation on Vic here.... did folks feel like the staff thought he was going to be Joe Young or something? I did not get that impression.

My point on the list of quarterback candidates is we had candidates. Now we almost don't even have candidates. And, to me coaching is taking the talent you have and making/developing someone into a star that nobody else saw the potential in. Everybody is assuming all those guys can't play quarterback because PJ says they can't. The fact they believe him is testament to the power of his personality.
But what if it was channeled differently? Henry Ford said if you think you can you are right...if you think you can't you are right. So, if we listen to press conferences, sound bytes when it comes to the departed they were getting no love on their ability to play QB from PJ. A college kid is not likely to overcome that....so no, they can't play QB. They believe PJ.
Take this guy http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/05/meet-quarterback-guru-pushed-kirk-cousins-top/ he does it different. We are not transforming anyone to play the position.
I just think PJ makes up his mind about something, but it doesn't go quite right...and then he changes it. Rhoda to Demry is a perfect example...why did Rhoda never play another down? Why did Seth Green, who by accounts was great as a scout team QB last year never see the field last season? You all are going to say because he's not a QB. But, he was highly touted once, as were the others. Why do they all decide they are no good?
I just don't agree none of those 7 guys has the ability to compete to play QB for the Gophers against the competition of Zack and Tanner.
Coaching would have to take place and the coach would have to believe in their ability to do so. Obviously, PJ didn't think those guys could play QB for him (so, yes, then it is best they move on) but now he's counting on the walkon from Wisconsin to be his third string QB.
And he looked capable compared to the competition.
I just don't think that's where we need to be or should be when it comes to available QB's.

It's not like IMG is your normal high school. Both Sitkowski and Annexstad could become good B1G QBs.

If one or both put up nice stats with all that talent surrounding them I’d be more impressed. But yes, one or both could still pan out but I seriously doubt it will happen in 2018.

I took the time to check - no 35 yard passes from Sitkowski. Maybe that’s why they benched him? :cool:

If one or both put up nice stats with all that talent surrounding them I’d be more impressed. But yes, one or both could still pan out but I seriously doubt it will happen in 2018.

I took the time to check - no 35 yard passes from Sitkowski. Maybe that’s why they benched him? :cool:

Well I wouldn't expect a ton out of two true freshman either.

Looks like you missed this 50 yard bullet in Rutgers spring game. :cool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KGkvXzSil5M?start=67" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man, you guys have more conspiracy theories than a group of UFO hunters!
A team brings in several QB’s each year. They all think they are the next coming of Dan Marino, but only one gets to play at a time. All the rest are “ failures” according to the GH UFO hunters.
It is always the same group of PJ haters that troll the boards to B!tch about anything that they can to try and make the coach look bad. It is the same in the B.B. forms with Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KGkvXzSil5M?start=67" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man, those spring games seem to bring out the best in QBs!

132-132?

:rolleyes:

He didn't, so your question is completely invalid. He left leaving us with 1, I repeat 1 scholarship QB and three walk-ons. Not a one of them has ever taken a snap in a college football game. They are all FR or R-Fr. How can anyone with any football sense think that this is ok or we can't make a judgement about how things have been handled to this point. They have recruited, signed and retained 1 QB, forced or mutually agreed with others to leave and or find a new position and have recruited and retained 3 walk ons. The one QB who had played, there were major conflicts between him and the coaching staff. Who's at fault - both. Now DC wasn't exactly lighting it up, but another body on the team who has actually taken snaps would be nice.
PJ doesn't get to use this as an excuse, because he made this bed. This, his 2nd year, is on him.
If Morgan and Annexstad stay healthy and they show improvement from spring to the beginning of the year and then as the season progresses, then all should be ok this coming year. If injuries happen or they had their shining moment in the spring, then we are looking at going backwards...again.

The weird thing is that recruiting good QBs has been a problem for at least 11 years.

The weird thing is that recruiting good QBs has been a problem for at least 11 years.

And when in the last 11 years have we had just 1 scholarship QB? When in the last 11 years did we start a season where nobody on team has taken a snap...ever in a college game, not even a kneel down?
How about when in the last 50 years has either situation happened, for the Gophers or any P5 program? Not both at same time, either one?

Even UAB, a program that was non-existent for two years, went into their initial revival season with a better situation than we currently have

A team brings in several QB’s each year. They all think they are the next coming of Dan Marino, but only one gets to play at a time. All the rest are “ failures” according to the GH UFO hunters.
It is always the same group of PJ haters that troll the boards to B!tch about anything that they can to try and make the coach look bad. It is the same in the B.B. forms with Pitino.

So you’re saying we should praise PJ for targeting, recruiting and signing a QB who after 15 spring practices decided to leave the team and switch to a defensive position?
How many year zeroes are we going to have to go through before the PJ worshippers consider criticizing him on anything?

And when in the last 11 years have we had just 1 scholarship QB? When in the last 11 years did we start a season where nobody on team has taken a snap...ever in a college game, not even a kneel down?
How about when in the last 50 years has either situation happened, for the Gophers or any P5 program? Not both at same time, either one?

Even UAB, a program that was non-existent for two years, went into their initial revival season with a better situation than we currently have

And that has nothing to do with the only 2 scholarship QBs Fleck inherited from the previous regime being Demry Croft and Seth Green?

And that has nothing to do with the only 2 scholarship QBs Fleck inherited from the previous regime being Demry Croft and Seth Green?

Are either of them still at the QB position for the Gophers? You're also forgetting McLaurin :). He didn't inherit a great situation, but he also hasn't done anything to make it better either.
The best recruiter we have ever had has only 1 scholarship QB in two recruiting cycles and you see nothing wrong with that?
Step back for a moment and think about that. In two years of recruiting, we have 1 scholarship QB. I'm not talking about what was here, I'm talking about what has been done since the coach has been under contract.

Are either of them still at the QB position for the Gophers? You're also forgetting McLaurin :). He didn't inherit a great situation, but he also hasn't done anything to make it better either.
The best recruiter we have ever had has only 1 scholarship QB in two recruiting cycles and you see nothing wrong with that?
Step back for a moment and think about that. In two years of recruiting, we have 1 scholarship QB. I'm not talking about what was here, I'm talking about what has been done since the coach has been under contract.

He brought in Tanner Morgan and Annexstad, who again had P5 shcolarship offers and didn't want a scholarship here. So in 2 years he brought in two QBs, who could both be better than any QB the last couple of coaching staffs brought in.

He also convinced Rhoda to stay last year in order to make sure he could redshirt Morgan. Yeah he totally hasn't done anything to try and make it better.

He brought in Tanner Morgan and Annexstad, who again had P5 shcolarship offers and didn't want a scholarship here. So in 2 years he brought in two QBs, who could both be better than any QB the last couple of coaching staffs brought in. Yeah he totally hasn't done anything to try and make it better.

He didn't bring Annexstad in. Annexstad wanted to be here and sold himself to PJ.
They could be better, they could be worse, they could be about that same as what we have had in the past. Right now you, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea which it will be.
Again, I will ask, when in the past 50 years has ANY college FB team went into a season with 1 scholarship QB on the roster AND has none on the roster who have ever taken a snap in a college game?

He didn't bring Annexstad in. Annexstad wanted to be here and sold himself to PJ.
They could be better, they could be worse, they could be about that same as what we have had in the past. Right now you, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea which it will be.
Again, I will ask, when in the past 50 years has ANY college FB team went into a season with 1 scholarship QB on the roster AND has none on the roster who have ever taken a snap in a college game?

Oh please...I've heard it all now. Yeah I'm sure Annexstad had to talk his way onto the team with other P5 scholarship offers and his brother already here. If Annexstad wanted a scholarship, Fleck would have given him one, especially after Armstrong decommitted.

He brought in Tanner Morgan and Annexstad, who again had P5 shcolarship offers and didn't want a scholarship here. So in 2 years he brought in two QBs, who could both be better than any QB the last couple of coaching staffs brought in.

He also convinced Rhoda to stay last year in order to make sure he could redshirt Morgan. Yeah he totally hasn't done anything to try and make it better.

It all has to do with priorities. I don't care how good your QB is, if your line is a sieve (either by ability or depth), you've got problems.

Remember last year's Spring Game? We didn't even have enough OL to field a team. That's our priority and this has been rectified for the most part.

It all has to do with priorities. I don't care how good your QB is, if your line is a sieve (either by ability or depth), you've got problems.

Remember last year's Spring Game? We didn't even have enough OL to field a team. That's our priority and this has been rectified for the most part.

Agree, and the OL should be improved with talent and depth this year. And even with that OL last year, we still didn't need the 3rd string QB. And if we don't need a 3rd string QB this year, Viramontes leaving will have little affect on anything.

You think it's trolls, rather than their respective records, making those coaches look bad?

Oh please...I've heard it all now. Yeah I'm sure Annexstad had to talk his way onto the team with other P5 scholarship offers and his brother already here. If Annexstad wanted a scholarship, Fleck would have given him one, especially after Armstrong decommitted.

Why wouldn’t Annexstad want a scholarship? Unless one comes from a wealthy family it’s still a significant number to attend college. Cost of attendance + future costs of any loans are not insignificant. I understand that his love for and desire to play for the home school outweighs the cost but I find it hard to believe he doesn’t want a scholarship if one were available and offered.

Agree, and the OL should be improved with talent and depth this year. And even with that OL last year, we still didn't need the 3rd string QB. And if we don't need a 3rd string QB this year, Viramontes leaving will have little affect on anything.

I find it hard to believe he won’t redshirt Annexstad at all costs based on events last season. Having VV around as #2 would have been helpful.

Top Bottom