Triple Jeopardy in College Sexual Assault Case Ends an N.F.L. Career

Yet, the social media mob continues to point at anyone with a slight conservative sensibility and cry fascism.

After the last couple weeks......being caught spying during an election, fabricating evidence to start an investigation, the directives to be wreckless sexual-assault investigations rearing its head......how can a liberal in this fine land ever call anyone a fascist/Nazi/etc with a straight face?

Yet, the social media mob continues to point at anyone with a slight conservative sensibility and cry fascism.

After the last couple weeks......being caught spying during an election, fabricating evidence to start an investigation, the directives to be wreckless sexual-assault investigations rearing its head......how can a liberal in this fine land ever call anyone a fascist/Nazi/etc with a straight face?
This isn't the comments section of the strib.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I just don't know what to think anymore. Clearly some are guilty, but some clearly not guilty. States that the woman walked without any problem on the video and that should amount to something as to her current state. Good grief.

How does it feel to be angry about politics all the time to the point that you can't read an article without drawing conclusions like that?

That's no way to live man.

I just don't know what to think anymore. Clearly some are guilty, but some clearly not guilty. States that the woman walked without any problem on the video and that should amount to something as to her current state. Good grief.

It is impossible to know what happened. Her claim might be 100$% on the ball.

But whatever the claim I don't think it is fair to hold these kinds of kangaroo courts where appeals continue ... even if someone doesn't get the email.

Full bias disclosure: As a Republican who couldn’t bring myself to vote for trump. Your quote feels misguided

1: you don’t want our government spying on Russia. Confirmed by republican senator that what was happening

2: fabricating evidence to start investigation. This feels like a stretch with no facts yet but we will see

3: I remember when we used to be the party of old fashioned values with reputation as gentleman and people who held doors open for women. Now it’s the party of locker room talk and questioning a societal movement to treat women with respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full bias disclosure: As a Republican who couldn’t bring myself to vote for trump. Your quote feels misguided

1: you don’t want our government spying on Russia. Confirmed by republican senator that what was happening

2: fabricating evidence to start investigation. This feels like a stretch with no facts yet but we will see

3: I remember when we used to be the party of old fashioned values with reputation as gentleman and people who held doors open for women. Now it’s the party of locker room talk and questioning a societal movement to treat women with respect

Don't forget owned by big donors intent on running the government for their own benefit with no concept of good governance or sustainability.... or OMG responsible spending....

Don't forget owned by big donors intent on running the government for their own benefit with no concept of good governance or sustainability.... or OMG responsible spending....

I honestly have no idea which side you’re talking about. Useful idiots on both sides.

Getting back to the article the pendulum is perhaps slowly swinging back the other direction since the common sense train jumped the tracks. This isn’t a liberal/conservative issue. This is an agenda driven by loons without regard for facts. Public awareness is building and maybe grown adults can have a rational conversation now.

This stuff would offend Joseph Stalin's idea of due process.

This seems like a thread that belongs in the off topic board....seeing as how it's shifted into political talk.

This seems like a thread that belongs in the off topic board....seeing as how it's shifted into political talk.

The issue is inexorably intertwined with today’s brand of orchestrated politics and has implications for all college students which includes athletes (obviously). That said, it’s probably going to veer into shouting matches Kaepernick style.

What the hell did I just read?

Wow, your sure are chugging the Kool Aid! You need to do your own thinking and not just recite what you hear. Have you ever read 1984?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a horrible process. The Gophers football players who Coyle and Kaler railroaded is almost as bad as this. Kaler and Coyle both need to be fired for that incident.

Anyway, the lack or service of process is absolutely mind-boggling. How on earth do we allow a university to have a default judgment against somebody when notice was delivered via email? What a joke! There's a reason we have to have notice delivered in-person in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Moreover, the failure to allow questioning of the accuser, depositions, interrogatories, etc. is completely disgraceful.

Allowing the accuser to appeal is another travesty that doesn't even crack the top 5 of travesties.

Universities have no business handling incidents beyond academic and in-class misconduct. Their systems and processes are corrupt and inadequate through the entire "judicial" process.

The U will not get another dollar from me until this is rectified. The law schools at all of these universities should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for not speaking against this garbage. The U's law school, my alma mater, has really let me down.

I think it may be time to re-think how these cases are handled. Any investigation of a possible crime should be handled by law enforcement. If there is a complaint of sexual assault, etc, let the police investigate. After the investigation, the college gets a copy of the final report, and then the college can conduct any disciplinary proceedings it wishes to hold, separate of the criminal justice system.

Now, having said that, let's say for sake of argument the police investigate, and decide that no criminal charges will be filed. The report still should go back to the college, and the college can have its own disciplinary process - but there need to be limits and guidelines for how that process operates. if the cops say no crime was committed, then that should limit the level of discipline or punishment that a college could mete out.

This is a horrible process. The Gophers football players who Coyle and Kaler railroaded is almost as bad as this. Kaler and Coyle both need to be fired for that incident.

Anyway, the lack or service of process is absolutely mind-boggling. How on earth do we allow a university to have a default judgment against somebody when notice was delivered via email? What a joke! There's a reason we have to have notice delivered in-person in all but the most extreme circumstances.

Moreover, the failure to allow questioning of the accuser, depositions, interrogatories, etc. is completely disgraceful.

Allowing the accuser to appeal is another travesty that doesn't even crack the top 5 of travesties.

Universities have no business handling incidents beyond academic and in-class misconduct. Their systems and processes are corrupt and inadequate through the entire "judicial" process.

The U will not get another dollar from me until this is rectified. The law schools at all of these universities should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for not speaking against this garbage. The U's law school, my alma mater, has really let me down.

The U is not 'out of the woods' regarding the incident from back in 2016. the culture has changed and these cases are being reviewed in an attempt to glean hundreds of millions of dollars from fat endowments.

I think it may be time to re-think how these cases are handled. Any investigation of a possible crime should be handled by law enforcement. If there is a complaint of sexual assault, etc, let the police investigate. After the investigation, the college gets a copy of the final report, and then the college can conduct any disciplinary proceedings it wishes to hold, separate of the criminal justice system.

Now, having said that, let's say for sake of argument the police investigate, and decide that no criminal charges will be filed. The report still should go back to the college, and the college can have its own disciplinary process - but there need to be limits and guidelines for how that process operates. if the cops say no crime was committed, then that should limit the level of discipline or punishment that a college could mete out.
There should be no investigation by schools if law enforcement won't press charges at minimum. Punishing someone who law enforcement has cleared or doesn't have evidence to prove a crime has happened is INSANE. This madness needs to stop. As far as I am concerned if a person is not charged by law enforcement and the school decides to investigate and perpetuate a claim damaging to the accused they should be open to civil claims. Let law enforcement do their jobs, that is why they are there, schools are there to educate.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

There should be no investigation by schools if law enforcement won't press charges at minimum. Punishing someone who law enforcement has cleared or doesn't have evidence to prove a crime has happened is INSANE. This madness needs to stop. As far as I am concerned if a person is not charged by law enforcement and the school decides to investigate and perpetuate a claim damaging to the accused they should be open to civil claims. Let law enforcement do their jobs, that is why they are there, schools are there to educate.

This thread shows that there is hope. Many posters here were either on our side of this from the beginning, of they have seen the light of day.

We need to end this madness.

So the problem is with the school’s title IX office. Seeming shocking that a school’s title IX office is digging up possibly make believe dirt. Cleared by law enforcement and then cleared by title IX, but accuser files an appeal and he gets kicked out. Geez gotta love it.

The Gophers football players who Coyle and Kaler railroaded is almost as bad as this. Kaler and Coyle both need to be fired for that incident.

What the hell? Which players did Coyle and Kaler railroad? Did you follow the case?

I'm not sure why people have such difficulty distinguishing criminal court procedures from a university hearing. People get kicked out of unversity housing or out of the university for any number of actions that either don't rise to criminal behavior or would be too difficult to prove in a criminal court. It happens all the time. The difference is athletes at high profile programs have their stories reported to a national audience.

Good god, just f***ing stop.

a) The University holds student athletes to a higher standard than the criminal justice system (as it should).
b) None of us look good talking about this s***.
c) Every time you bring this up, people read the crap we're saying.

We got a black eye, it's over, let it go.

I'm not sure why people have such difficulty distinguishing criminal court procedures from a university hearing. People get kicked out of unversity housing or out of the university for any number of actions that either don't rise to criminal behavior or would be too difficult to prove in a criminal court. It happens all the time. The difference is athletes at high profile programs have their stories reported to a national audience.

The last sentence indicates you may on some level understand the high stakes at play, particularly for public figures like FBS athletes. The connotations and implications that go along with a sexual assault label shouldn’t be difficult to suss out hence a higher standard is needed.

Good god, just f***ing stop.

a) The University holds student athletes to a higher standard than the criminal justice system (as it should).
b) None of us look good talking about this s***.
c) Every time you bring this up, people read the crap we're saying.

We got a black eye, it's over, let it go.

You fail to understand people increasingly don’t agree with you and the activists and for many good reasons. Get over it.

You fail to understand people increasingly don’t agree with you and the activists and for many good reasons. Get over it.

They're not activists. It's a government mandated board put in place to review this crap. I don't agree with their structure or how they're run either.

People are free to disagree or agree whenever they damn well please, but if we end up with a Penn State-esque reputation, I'm going to be pretty damn mad.

Don't do sketchy crap, don't get a sketchy reputation. Whether you like it or not, Minnesota's athletic department has a joke of a reputation. Cheating basketball players, multiple sexual assault investigations, drug dealing students, propositioning reporters et al.

I'm sick and tired of reading about it, and even more sick and tired of all the apologists making excuses.

Most universities can run their athletic department without the constant drama.

Stop grasping around for excuses. There aren't excuses.

With even a second's distance y'all look like a bunch of whiny children, man up.

They're not activists. It's a government mandated board put in place to review this crap. I don't agree with their structure or how they're run either.

People are free to disagree or agree whenever they damn well please, but if we end up with a Penn State-esque reputation, I'm going to be pretty damn mad.

Don't do sketchy crap, don't get a sketchy reputation. Whether you like it or not, Minnesota's athletic department has a joke of a reputation. Cheating basketball players, multiple sexual assault investigations, drug dealing students, propositioning reporters et al.

I'm sick and tired of reading about it, and even more sick and tired of all the apologists making excuses.

Most universities can run their athletic department without the constant drama.

Stop grasping around for excuses. There aren't excuses.

With even a second's distance y'all look like a bunch of whiny children, man up.

Pathetic, and sad. Shameful reasoning.

That’s both parties slab. See Soros etal.

Pathetic, and sad. Shameful reasoning.

Bottom line is: recruits read this board, recruits' parents read this board, players read this board, players' parents read this board, and coaches read this board.
We don't need to have constant conversations about a controversial subject that makes everyone look bad.

Please stop dragging this conversation up every week.

Top Bottom