Triple Jeopardy in College Sexual Assault Case Ends an N.F.L. Career

I think it may be time to re-think how these cases are handled. Any investigation of a possible crime should be handled by law enforcement. If there is a complaint of sexual assault, etc, let the police investigate. After the investigation, the college gets a copy of the final report, and then the college can conduct any disciplinary proceedings it wishes to hold, separate of the criminal justice system.

Now, having said that, let's say for sake of argument the police investigate, and decide that no criminal charges will be filed. The report still should go back to the college, and the college can have its own disciplinary process - but there need to be limits and guidelines for how that process operates. if the cops say no crime was committed, then that should limit the level of discipline or punishment that a college could mete out.

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with a small extension of sorts where schools could review a report or behavior that might not be illegal exactly and take some limited action. The catch is that with their full blown parallel kangaroo courts I'm not sure they could handle responsibly at this point.

Bottom line is: recruits read this board, recruits' parents read this board, players read this board, players' parents read this board, and coaches read this board.
We don't need to have constant conversations about a controversial subject that makes everyone look bad.

Please stop dragging this conversation up every week.

Worrying about that while people are having their lives shattered without appropriately thorough and fair due process and diligence. I'd advise you to rethink your life but I doubt you'll take me up on it

Worrying about that while people are having their lives shattered without appropriately thorough and fair due process and diligence.

I can only assume you were equally concerned when women were having their lives shattered without appropriately thorough and fair due process and diligence before the days of Title IX and EOAA's.

Until the US Supreme Court reverses the below cited cases there is no way colleges and universities are going to stop handling suspected sexual harassment and assault under their student code of conduct procedures. The days when administrators look the other way, or refuse to investigate and take appropriate action, when their students claim they have been sexually harassed or assaulted are drawing to a close. It can't happen fast enough.

In 1992 the US Supreme Court established that monetary damages are available to victims of sex discrimination under Title IX (Franklin v. Gwinnett County Public Schools 1992).

In 1999 the Court as established institutional liability for student-on-student sexual harassment or assault in Davis v. Monroe County Board of Education (1999). The Court held that school districts could be liable for student-on-student sexual harassment when:

(1) school personnel have actual knowledge of the harassment;

(2) school personnel are deliberately indifferent to the harassment or respond in a clearly unreasonable manner in light of the known circumstances; and

(3) the harassment is so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that is can be said to deprive the victim(s) access to educational opportunities.

Read more at: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00098655.2017.1361287

I can only assume you were equally concerned when women were having their lives shattered without appropriately thorough and fair due process and diligence before the days of Title IX and EOAA's.

Until the US Supreme Court reverses the below cited cases there is no way colleges and universities are going to stop handling suspected sexual harassment and assault under their student code of conduct procedures. The days when administrators look the other way, or refuse to investigate and take appropriate action, when their students claim they have been sexually harassed or assaulted are drawing to a close. It can't happen fast enough.

In 1992 the US Supreme Court established that monetary damages are available to victims of sex discrimination under Title IX (Franklin v. Gwinnett County Public Schools 1992).

In 1999 the Court as established institutional liability for student-on-student sexual harassment or assault in Davis v. Monroe County Board of Education (1999). The Court held that school districts could be liable for student-on-student sexual harassment when:

(2) school personnel are deliberately indifferent to the harassment or respond in a clearly unreasonable manner in light of the known circumstances; and

(3) the harassment is so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that is can be said to deprive the victim(s) access to educational opportunities.

Read more at: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00098655.2017.1361287

I am very concerned about sexual assault.

There is nothing precluding schools from having fair and unbiased investigatory and adjudication procedures. The problem comes with biased, unfair processes infused with panelist indoctrination in faulty statistics and science. The school itself doesn’t define sexual assault as the general public understands it.

I am perhaps biased, with good friends falsely accused of wrongdoing in the past. Not my opinion, I actually have knowledge of what happened and in the end justice prevailed but in the hands of campus activists....not likely. Couple that with extensive life experience with those that have a very loose relationship with the truth, and knowledge of realistic statistics on false accusations and one realizes why most legal scholars, the ACLU, liberals, centrists, and conservatives have issues with what’s happening. Activists and victims are not the people that should be setting policy.

Pathetic post on many levels.

Ted, is that you?

Top Bottom