Gophers Announce Start Times for Five Home Football Games

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have announced the start times for five 2018-19 football games.

The team will open the season at TCF Bank Stadium on Aug. 30 against New Mexico State at 6 p.m. CT (BTN). The Aggies will be inexperienced at quarterback as Nick Jeanty and JUCO transfer Matt Romero battle for the starting quarterback job. New Mexico State also lost multiple key playmakers on offense, including top wide receiver Jaleel Scott. They have three wide receivers returning with varying levels of experience, but will be relying on JUCO players to step up. On defense, the Aggies set a school record with 43 sacks and a respectable amount of talent returns to the unit.

In week two, the team will host a talented Fresno State team that won ten games last year. Kickoff is slated for 6:30 p.m. CT on Sept. 8 (FS1). Quarterback Marcus McMaryion is a dynamic weapon who passed for 2,726 yards, 14 touchdowns, and five interceptions in 14 games last season. His favorite wide receiver and future NFL prospect Keesean Johnson returns for his senior season after leading the team in targets last year. On the other side of the ball, the key will be how Fresno State responds to losing three key defensive linemen, including Robert Stanley.

In the final game of the non-conference slate, Miami (OH) will travel to Minnesota on Sept. 15 at 2:30 p.m. CT. (BTN). A five-win team last year, the Redhawks dealt with inexperience and adversity, including the recovery of quarterback Gus Ragland, who suffered a torn ACL in 2016. In 2018, they'll have a more experienced roster, headlined by top wide receiver James Gardner.

To begin Big Ten play, the Gophers will host Iowa for their 100th Homecoming game. The matchup will be played at 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. CT on Oct. 6 (broadcast information to be announced). Junior quarterback Nate Stanley returns, but the Hawkeyes must replace key contributors like running Akrum Wadley, linebacker Josey Jewell, center James Daniels and cornerback Josh Jackson. The biggest hole for the Hawkeyes will be at linebacker, where freshman will be asked to play major roles.

Later in the month, Minnesota will square off with Indiana for the first time ever at TCF Bank Stadium. The game will be played on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. CT (FS1) as part of the Big Ten Conference’s new game schedule. Hoosiers quarterback Richard Lagow graduated, but redshirt sophomore Peyton Ramsey received valuable snaps last season. In nine games (four starts), he completed 65.4 percent of his passes for 1,252 yards, 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. Wide receiver Simmie Cobbs graduated, but Nick Westbrook has experience at the position. On defense, the Hoosiers lost six defensive players, including four contributors in the secondary.

The remaining home schedule will be announced at a later date, including a Nov. 10 game against Purdue and a Nov. 17 matchup with Northwestern.

Home Game Schedule

Week 1- Aug. 30- New Mexico State – 6 p.m. CT- BTN
Week 2- Sept. 8- Fresno State – 6:30 p.m. CT- FS1
Week 3- Sept. 15- Miami (OH) – 2:30 p.m. CT- BTN
Week 5- Oct. 6- Iowa – 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m. CT- (broadcast info TBA)
Week 8- Oct. 26- Indiana – 7 p.m. – FS1

Nov. 10 vs Purdue and Nov. 17 vs. Northwestern - TBD

I actually like 11 am games.

The night games largely mean I can't take the kids ... :(

For high school fans, the Friday game should work. It is the sectionals and it is usually a Tuesday-Saturday schedule that week for the high schools.

Great trip for Fresno State/San Francisco fans who want to take in Fresno State-Minnesota on Saturday night and then San Francisco-Minnesota Vikings on Sunday at noon.

Love no 11am kickoffs, despite a terrible home schedule, again.

This might be an interesting "test" to see if the start times alone really have much impact on attendance.

I doubt it.

For high school fans, the Friday game should work. It is the sectionals and it is usually a Tuesday-Saturday schedule that week for the high schools.

Except all the 6A games are on the 26th.

11am starts are my favorite, really like getting up and going to the game then getting home and getting the rest of my day going. 2:30 are the worst start times, eats up the entire day.

Ah! I land at 4:50p at MSP on the Thursday night of the Opener! Looks like I’ll be uberring directly to the stadium! I was hoping for a 7cst or 8cst start! Can’t wait though

Very nice schedule and is it unusual that it’s announced so early?
Excited for the all the home games this year! Win the home games and steal one or two on the road and it will be a good season in my book.

11am starts are my favorite, really like getting up and going to the game then getting home and getting the rest of my day going. 2:30 are the worst start times, eats up the entire day.

Amen.

I like having time after the game for activities.

Very nice schedule and is it unusual that it’s announced so early?
Excited for the all the home games this year! Win the home games and steal one or two on the road and it will be a good season in my book.

Not unusual at all. It's changed a bit with new TV deals, but they always announce some this time of year.

Now that I live down here I don't mind the 11:00 am starts.

When I lived in Fargo-Moorhead it was awful. Either wake up extremely early or pay for a hotel.

I know many fans who live up there who will appreciate the later starts.

Now that I live down here I don't mind the 11:00 am starts.

When I lived in Fargo-Moorhead it was awful. Either wake up extremely early or pay for a hotel.

I know many fans who live up there who will appreciate the later starts.

At least there is competition among hotels here....for many college towns the hotel prices are absurd.

Except all the 6A games are on the 26th.

The dozen or so people that don't go to Gopher game because a high school team is playing can work it out. The impact is so incredibly insignificant it's incalculable.

Being old-fashioned, I think all college FB games should kick off at 1:00 Saturday afternoon.

I realize that's not going to happen in today's media universe. Given that, my personal favorite is the 2:30 or 3:00 kickoff. Gives me time to get my work done Saturday morning and not have to rush home to catch the start of the game, or DVR the 1st half.

And, when the game ends, it's 6:00 or 6:30 - leaving enough time to do something else Saturday night - watch a movie, go out, whatever. (of course, if the Gophers lose, then I'm in a bad mood, and less likely to do something Saturday night. But that is still better than having an 11:00 game end at 2:30, and spending the rest of the day ticked off if the Gophers lose.)

Amen.

I like having time after the game for activities.

Sorry Slab but for those of us who like to take in the entire college game day atmosphere (Tailgating) the 11:00 starts suck. Whatever it is that you need another half day for plan it for Sunday. Saturday's are GOPHER Saturday's!!

Sorry Slab but for those of us who like to take in the entire college game day atmosphere (Tailgating) the 11:00 starts suck. Whatever it is that you need another half day for plan it for Sunday. Saturday's are GOPHER Saturday's!!
Maybe get up earlier?

A little bummed personally about the Fresno State game time, was hoping for an earlier kickoff time so I could go to the game and then walk to the Surly Brew festival and concert at 6:30. Had to commit to the tickets for the fest before they announced game times. Oh well...

Maybe get up earlier?

Haha! Well I am up at 5:00 am on game day regardless if what time the game is that day :)

Point is the 11:00 starts cut into 2 hours of tailgate time since the lots don't open until 7:00 am. Any game after 1:00 allows for the full 6 hours of tailgating. It's a big deal to our group. Saturday's are on full reserve for Gopher Football!

Haha! Well I am up at 5:00 am on game day regardless if what time the game is that day :)

Point is the 11:00 starts cut into 2 hours of tailgate time since the lots don't open until 7:00 am. Any game after 1:00 allows for the full 6 hours of tailgating. It's a big deal to our group. Saturday's are on full reserve for Gopher Football!

+1 million

11 AM kicks objectively suck. It hurts atmosphere, student attendance, impacts tailgating time, drinking time, etc. If you're a golfer (like me) it rules out a glorious Saturday fall round. It's an unnatural time for a college football game to start.

Anyone who actively campaigns for a morning kickoff is selfishly putting their own personal schedule over the good of the program and college football as a whole.

11 AM kicks objectively suck. It hurts atmosphere, student attendance

Let's see how that plays out this year.... everyone wants to blame start times or random stuff for attendance and atmosphere.

I think it is just Ws plain and simple.

I actually agree with you. I like 11 am and night games. Another thing the NFL does right is a noon start. I think that would be perfect.

These two non-Saturday games are brutal. Sounds like the big ten is committed to the Friday night bit. If our department cares about its fans, it should lobby hard for the conference to share the load evenly, and stop doing the Thursday night crap as soon as it's current commitments that require it expire.

Top Bottom