B1G Standings Projection (Post-NBA Draft Deadline Decisions); Gophers at #9

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Michigan just announced Charles Matthews is coming back. Tyler Cook only B1G player yet to announce his final status.

Click on the tweet to get some of the response. Apparently Michigan fans are upset with my 4th-place projection.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lol Wisconsin at 3. Did I miss something?

Lol Wisconsin at 3. Did I miss something?

That one definitely on the bold and controversial side. I liked the way they finished last year despite the injuries. Played best basketball at end of season.

Even so, if Happ goes down with injury Badgers will be staring down Weakling Wednesday. He's that important.

That one definitely on the bold and controversial side. I liked the way they finished last year despite the injuries. Played best basketball at end of season.

Even so, if Happ goes down with injury Badgers will be staring down Weakling Wednesday. He's that important.

As Happ goes, so does Wisconsin. I think Reuvers could take a bigger step this year, but their freshmen class leaves a lot to be desired.

I would probably put Nebraska and Michigan above Wisconsin. Probably drop Ohio St below Minnesota and Iowa. Lastly, put Illinois last. I think Rutgers will be improved this year. I know Rutgers lost Saunders, but he was a black hole on offense with his pull up contested 2s.

I'm just not sold on Wisconsin. If they end the year with the third best record in the Big Ten, that is a Bo-Ryan-level of overachieving in my opinion. Bo was great at taking whatever team he had, and coaching that squad up every year to a top 4 finish. Gard just hasn't shown that ability yet. He was handed some great veterans who then carried the squad to a couple of sweet sixteens. While I think they can make the NCAA tourney because Happ returned, I see much more of a middle of the pack Big Ten team. This is the year we'll find out just how well Gard can coach, as many gave him a free pass last year because of some injuries.

I will believe Wisconsin finishing below Minnesota when I see it...for the first time in over two decades.

I'm just not sold on Wisconsin. If they end the year with the third best record in the Big Ten, that is a Bo-Ryan-level of overachieving in my opinion. Bo was great at taking whatever team he had, and coaching that squad up every year to a top 4 finish. Gard just hasn't shown that ability yet. He was handed some great veterans who then carried the squad to a couple of sweet sixteens. While I think they can make the NCAA tourney because Happ returned, I see much more of a middle of the pack Big Ten team. This is the year we'll find out just how well Gard can coach, as many gave him a free pass last year because of some injuries.

I don’t think Bo Ryan ever had a team as injured or as young as last year’s Becky team. I’m not sure I think he’s a great coach, but I’m not projecting it off of last year’s results.

Michigan just announced Charles Matthews is coming back. Tyler Cook only B1G player yet to announce his final status.

Click on the tweet to get some of the response. Apparently Michigan fans are upset with my 4th-place projection.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Most surprised that anyone would put Indiana that high.

My Badgers will be an interesting group. Lots to like, buy quite a few questions that need to be resolved. I have no idea who will win the PG spot. Is it the injured incumbent Trice, his replacement Davison, the newcomer Strickland, or the walkon (transfer from UWGB) Anderson. Does Reuvers take the step up and grab a starting role? Does Kobe King force his way into the 3spot?

I think they have the capability of reaching the lofty position you project if things fall right. Will need health and some development to get there.

Really think the B1G is wide open this year, more than I can ever remember. MSU makes sense as the favorite but even they are not as fearsome as they have been. Only Illinois seems locked into the depths. I could see Rutgers, PSU, or NW finishing in the top 7.

I will believe Wisconsin finishing below Minnesota when I see it...for the first time in over two decades.

Happ - Stockman, Oturu (Wisc adv)
Ruevers - Murphy (Minn Adv)
Iverson - Coffey (Minn adv)
Trice - Washington (Toss Up)
Pritzel - Mcbrayer (Minn Adv)

I'll take Minnesota in that match up, especially if healthy and with the best bench Pitino has had in his tenure.

I'll take Minnesota in that match up, especially if healthy and with the best bench Pitino has had in his tenure.

Not sure if those will be the lineups for UW. As of now, I think Iverson is the starter at "4". Pritzl or King at 3. Davison at 2. Any of three at PG (Trice, Strickland, Anderson). Too hard to predict at this point. The only things I'm certain of is Happening at C and Davison will start somewhere. Iverson is our best defender and fits the mold of a wing, but I think they will play small and get a dangerous scorer in that spot. I am excited to see Strickland. Not sure if he will grab the reins immediately, but think he might.

The last two sure look like homer picks to me, and I absolutely hate the Badgers.

The last two sure look like homer picks to me, and I absolutely hate the Badgers.

Trice and Washington are both Sophomores, have similar level of experience, I'll take my chances with Washington but I don't think either are going to be polished, I'll take a healthy McBrayer over Pritzel or Davison, I'm not a Davison fan, I think his shooting is streaky and he's just not quick enough, he can be defended in my mind.

I feel like we’d win 50% of the “position vs position” picks over the past 15 years but we probably average finishing 10 games behind them every year.

Ah... it’s that time of the year again where we predict if this is the year we finish ahead of the badgers

Trice and Washington are both Sophomores, have similar level of experience, I'll take my chances with Washington but I don't think either are going to be polished, I'll take a healthy McBrayer over Pritzel or Davison, I'm not a Davison fan, I think his shooting is streaky and he's just not quick enough, he can be defended in my mind.

You are certainly entitled to that opinion. But to begin with, Davison is definitely going to be a starter. And I’d bet a majority of B1G fans of other schools would take Davison over IW or Dupree. I can’t stand Davison, and even I can admit that he was pretty impressive last year.

Top Bottom