6-6 would be a win for next year

gophers141

Reaction score
You can chose not to believe the source but I spoke with a member of the coaching staff who said due to youth the team could take a step backwards next year.
They also said our QB situation could be trouble. (most of us already assumed that)

Given that info paired with an easier schedule than last season I'd say reaching 6-6 and making a bowl game would be a win for Coach Fleck.

Keep in mind this same source predicted 5-6 wins for their first season under Fleck.

You can chose not to believe the source but I spoke with a member of the coaching staff who said due to youth the team could take a step backwards next year.
They also said our QB situation could be trouble. (most of us already assumed that)

Given that info paired with an easier schedule than last season I'd say reaching 6-6 and making a bowl game would be a win for Coach Fleck.

Keep in mind this same source predicted 5-6 wins for their first season under Fleck.

A member of the coaching staff (whose continued employment relies upon meeting expectations) is tamping down expectations? Why would anyone choose not to believe that? Seems perfectly logical and downright obvious.

I guess it is possible, but I would think the coaching staff would be kinda careful who they talk to ... and what positions they talk down that specifically...

If we take a step backwards from last year that would imply 4 or less wins, particularly as the schedule is arguably a notch tougher. Fresno State, Purdue improving, Nebraska will be better, OSU, Indiana likely better.

I think it’s fine and expected for a coach to lower expectations as it’s a win/win for them but obviously hope they’re not sending the the same message to the players.

I guess it is possible, but I would think the coaching staff would be kinda careful who they talk to ... and what positions they talk down that specifically...

So Friggin glad they got rid of Coach Claeys after winning 8. Things were such a mess back then.

When we are talking next year...like 2018 season or next year like 2019? I assume 18? I could see that...but 19 no way! Not with all the redshirts and 3 recruiting classes on campus.

When hasn't the QB situation trouble? 20? 30 years ago.people will now mention qb names of people who played before the seniors at the U were born.

There is no way the QB situation is not an improvement from last year.

There is no way the QB situation is not an improvement from last year.

By the end of the season, or even midseason, YES; to start the season? Mmmmmmm.... Not sure about that, but it's possible

Starting offense could very well have 8 of 11 guys in third, fourth or fifth year.

Fifth year senior running back Rodney Smith considered among best in country.

Two fifth year o-linemen in front of him. Greene considered an NFL prospect. Weyler on Rimington watch list.

22 year old Juco offensive tackle we flipped from UCLA, beat out ASU, TCU other power five teams for may start.

Two returning oline starters in Olson and Schlueter, third year guys. Fourth year guys Dovich and Oseland have game experience and will compete to start on oline. Third year guy Davis has a year of juco experience.

Fourth year Beebe and third year Kieft and fourth year Witham big physical blocking tight ends. Third year Seth Green may add athleticism at TE.

Third year Tyler Johnson looked like an AllBig Ten receiver in Spring game. Third year Howard has experience at WR. Third and fourth year walkon guys Geary and Morse could break out like Kuznia, Engel, Barker in past years. Yale Van Dyne sat out after Iowa transfer, but brings maturity as a 23 year old (played pro hockey a gew years). Transfer Gossage sat out last year but had nice numbers as a freshmen and soph at EIU.

Starting defense could well have 10 of 11 guys in third, fourth or fifth year.

Up the middle on defense could be fifth year Gary Moore and fifth year OJ Smith. Fourth year guy Royal Silver should help.

Third year guys Coughlin and Devers and fourth year guy Winston DeLattiboudere defensive ends with starting/game experience.. Fifth year guy Gibson was in dline two deep chart last year before injury. Fourth year guy Renner in mix to start at 5 technique, says PJ.

Fourth year Cashman and third year guys Barber and Martin and fourth year Ju Huff will be mainstays at linebacker. Chad Greenway cousin Schoenfelder in third year, got experience in 9 games last year.

Fourth year Jacob Huff and third year Antoine Winfield at safety.

Fourth year Williamson and third year Kiondre Thomas at corner. Fourth year Shenault at corner. Third year guys Durr and Swenson can help in secondary. Third year db guy Leius has Community college year, was Scout team standout while sitting out last year.

Fifth year kicker, two fourth year punters, fifth year long snapper.

Morgan and Annexstad looked very good in Spring game. Third year guy Viramontes has something Michigan and Cal liked. Experience as juco offensive player of year in his league. Great run threat, at least. Autman-Bell and Bateman sound like guys Fleck and Simon can put in the NFL.

I love our maturity. 26 fourth and fifth year guys, 24 third year guys.

I feel like we keep hearing we’re too young. If Swingmans assessment is correct, seems like the team has plenty of experience albeit with a new coach. Is that still considered young when stacked up to our conference?

6 - 6...let's not get our hopes up. [emoji32]

By the end of the season, or even midseason, YES; to start the season? Mmmmmmm.... Not sure about that, but it's possible

We know that last season's quarterbacks were bad when they faced Big Ten competition but they were acceptable against weaker competition during the first three games when we had enough outside of the quarterback position to win. I don't see why this year's quarterbacks couldn't do just as well during the first three games. We may have a very slightly tougher non-conference schedule but all games are at home anyway.

We do at least have some hope that the current group of quarterbacks will be better than last year's in Big Ten competition. I agree with diehard. I don't see how they can't be at least somewhat better and I believe the line and receivers should be better if we can maintain a fair level of health.

Success means 7 wins + a bowl. Six would be the absolute minimum for success, given one of the easier schedules. Nebraska has a murderous schedule, but is expected to win six, maybe 7.

It's hard to imagine the QB situation being worse than last year, however I've thought the same thing about the WR position for a few years now and somehow it found a way to sink lower. The same could possibly be said for DE. I am never going to call 6-6 a "win", but I am not going to be overly concerned by the record in year 2 either.

QB is the most important guy on the field and with that being a question mark, I won't even venture a guess at our record. Like others, I think our QB situation will prove to be better than last year as the season rolls on, but experience matters and the lack of it will likely show up early.

Imo after 5-7 a 6-6 season is more of the same not a win considering the talent influx the team has had and returning starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we have a good mix of veterans and youth on both sides of the ball and I'm tired of hearing we're young. Talent is another matter. Not that the talent isn't there; it remains to be seen. And depth is an issue.

The lines aren't overly young, but we don't know how good they'll be. We have one of the best senior RBs in the country and an experienced LB corps. We need a QB and some young guys to develop at WR and DB.

Half of our schedule is against non-established coaches: Frost in year 1; Brohm, Tedford, Allen all in year 2; Lovie and Durkin in year 3.

As I've said, I can imagine a scenario where the team only wins 4 or 5 games. I can also imagine a scenario where the team wins 8 games.

Right now, all we have to go on is what we saw during the Spring game - essentially an intra-squad scrimmage - and we were not watching a true 1st-team vs 2nd team situation, either.

We will all learn a lot more after the non-conference games. after the non-conference games, we may be A. more confident about the team's prospects; B. less confident, or C. feel about the same.

3 months to go.

Hopefully, when Fall Camp opens, there will be at least a little more information to digest on how the team is looking.

As I've said, I can imagine a scenario where the team only wins 4 or 5 games. I can also imagine a scenario where the team wins 8 games.

Right now, all we have to go on is what we saw during the Spring game - essentially an intra-squad scrimmage - and we were not watching a true 1st-team vs 2nd team situation, either.

We will all learn a lot more after the non-conference games. after the non-conference games, we may be A. more confident about the team's prospects; B. less confident, or C. feel about the same.

3 months to go.

Hopefully, when Fall Camp opens, there will be at least a little more information to digest on how the team is looking.

With the new culture of Manhattan Project-levels of secrecy and paranoia we will probably hear as much as we did during spring: pretty much bupkus.

The clues will be there pretty early in the non-con. These aren’t quite the patsies we faced last year.

The deflection of any blame for Fleck will get even more off-the-wall if he wins less than 6. That'll be interesting, even if the team won't be.

I shouldn't be surprised how fast the shine has worn off Viramontes, but I am. A couple months ago he was going to be somewhere between Ben Rothlisberger and Cam Newton. Morgan and Annexstad were also lightyears ahead of what we had last year. All of sudden, the roster is devoid of QBs again.

3 months to go.

I duno, outside of QB swapping again (gawd please no PJ!) I can't imagine really knowing much positive wise. Just don't know until these guys are tested....

I guess that coach new VV was leaving the program, makes perfect sense now.

Starting offense could very well have 8 of 11 guys in third, fourth or fifth year.

Fifth year senior running back Rodney Smith considered among best in country.

Two fifth year o-linemen in front of him. Greene considered an NFL prospect. Weyler on Rimington watch list.

22 year old Juco offensive tackle we flipped from UCLA, beat out ASU, TCU other power five teams for may start.

Two returning oline starters in Olson and Schlueter, third year guys. Fourth year guys Dovich and Oseland have game experience and will compete to start on oline. Third year guy Davis has a year of juco experience.

Fourth year Beebe and third year Kieft and fourth year Witham big physical blocking tight ends. Third year Seth Green may add athleticism at TE.

Third year Tyler Johnson looked like an AllBig Ten receiver in Spring game. Third year Howard has experience at WR. Third and fourth year walkon guys Geary and Morse could break out like Kuznia, Engel, Barker in past years. Yale Van Dyne sat out after Iowa transfer, but brings maturity as a 23 year old (played pro hockey a gew years). Transfer Gossage sat out last year but had nice numbers as a freshmen and soph at EIU.

Starting defense could well have 10 of 11 guys in third, fourth or fifth year.

Up the middle on defense could be fifth year Gary Moore and fifth year OJ Smith. Fourth year guy Royal Silver should help.

Third year guys Coughlin and Devers and fourth year guy Winston DeLattiboudere defensive ends with starting/game experience.. Fifth year guy Gibson was in dline two deep chart last year before injury. Fourth year guy Renner in mix to start at 5 technique, says PJ.

Fourth year Cashman and third year guys Barber and Martin and fourth year Ju Huff will be mainstays at linebacker. Chad Greenway cousin Schoenfelder in third year, got experience in 9 games last year.

Fourth year Jacob Huff and third year Antoine Winfield at safety.

Fourth year Williamson and third year Kiondre Thomas at corner. Fourth year Shenault at corner. Third year guys Durr and Swenson can help in secondary. Third year db guy Leius has Community college year, was Scout team standout while sitting out last year.

Fifth year kicker, two fourth year punters, fifth year long snapper.

Morgan and Annexstad looked very good in Spring game. Third year guy Viramontes has something Michigan and Cal liked. Experience as juco offensive player of year in his league. Great run threat, at least. Autman-Bell and Bateman sound like guys Fleck and Simon can put in the NFL.

I love our maturity. 26 fourth and fifth year guys, 24 third year guys.

Who cares what year they are. The question is if enough of them can compete at a level to actually beat someone. The team that lost 84-13 to Nebraska had some experienced players as well.

Do you think losing the 3rd string QB should involve less production?

1. You have no idea where he stood on the depth chart
2. He was a highly coveted recruit for MN that, for whatever reason, only spent one semester on campus. That is not good on many counts.
3. He was the only QB on the roster that had taken a snap at any college level.

Top Bottom