Report: Multiple sources are speculating that Reid Travis is transferring to Kentucky

All of you guys talking about Reid helping his draft stock at Kentucky really have no clue how the draft works and what teams look for in a 1st round pick. He will turn 23 in November and after another season of college ball, would be a 24 year old rookie. He has already proven his talent at the college level and has very limited upside left to explore.

Now, if Reid's goal is to play in the tourney, contend for a national title etc then more power to him. Kentucky would certainly help that in that regard. But if his goal is to play in the NBA, he'd be MUCH better off turning pro right now and attempting to get into an NBA system/start making money (even if that is somewhere overseas for the time being).

As an undersized 6'8" PF, Travis is unlikely to last long in the NBA if he makes it at all. He went to one of the best academic schools in the country and got a degree. Now maybe it's his goal to win a national championship, and he feels Kentucky is his best chance to do that. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Well he didn't choose to transfer to Minnesota so he is viewed as a pariah by a lot on this forum.

Who was the poster that said he talked to Pulley guys at the state tournament and said he loves Stanford and their academics... So much for that if he goes to Tucky.

I'd tell Matz, I hope you enjoyed your free year of tuition and C'ya later if Reid wanted to come here.

^This.

Reid can play wherever he freaking wants. Glad to hear UK is morally inferior to Minnesota (hello sex scandal after scandal) but I doubt Reid (or most persons in his position) care about someone else's lofty moral standards. Maybe Reid wants to play in the NCAA tournament or *gulp* even win an NCAA tournament GAME.

Good luck to Reid if he chooses UK or elsewhere. Minnesota is NOT going to attract these high-end players and I have no issue with it.

This post is a fail on so many levels. Each sentence more foolish than the last.

Where is Guy Fawkes when we need him? What’s the latest inside scoop on Travis, Guy? lmao

All of you guys talking about Reid helping his draft stock at Kentucky really have no clue how the draft works and what teams look for in a 1st round pick

Let's say he was around ~70th best prospect for this years draft. It's not impossible to work your way up to the top 30 and get some guaranteed money if he has a great season on the big stage. Not saying this is going to happen, but there's a chance... Going to Europe, the likelihood of making it back to the NBA is not good.

Hope he enjoys his last year of college ball and makes a run in the tourney.

This post is a fail on so many levels. Each sentence more foolish than the last.

Another frustrated and sadly jealous Gopher fan (its understandable given 30 years of sub-mediocrity). Gophers can be good maybe even excellent from time to time; but never consistently great. Best players will continue to go to the highest profile programs. Thats the way of the college basketball world and its ok with me. I like the guys we have.

Let's say he was around ~70th best prospect for this years draft. It's not impossible to work your way up to the top 30 and get some guaranteed money if he has a great season on the big stage. Not saying this is going to happen, but there's a chance... Going to Europe, the likelihood of making it back to the NBA is not good.

Hope he enjoys his last year of college ball and makes a run in the tourney.

That's just not really how the draft works, nor how prospects are scouted. Players are drafted on potential, and Reid has more than enough film banked over his career at Stanford. NBA teams know exactly what he can do, and his stock will not measurably improve after a year at Kentucky (unless he wins the Naismith Aware or something).

That's just not really how the draft works, nor how prospects are scouted. Players are drafted on potential, and Reid has more than enough film banked over his career at Stanford. NBA teams know exactly what he can do, and his stock will not measurably improve after a year at Kentucky (unless he wins the Naismith Aware or something).

True to an extent.

However, the pundits have stated next year will be a much weaker draft (I think they always say that). So maybe Travis believes he has a better shot of going in the FIRST round next year and getting that guaranteed contract. In the NBA, it's all about getting picked in the first round.

That is one of many aspects that come into play. It is a very important aspect but hardly the only. Players move up or down in the draft all the time. Donte Divincenzo, for example, went from an after thought to a 1st round pick with his tournament play last season.

Hope its Nova...

Agreed. I wish Reid had played for the Gophers, but he's a good dude and it would be fun (maybe a little bittersweet) seeing him kill it for Nova. Would much rather he have a big year for them than Kentucky.

All of you guys talking about Reid helping his draft stock at Kentucky really have no clue how the draft works and what teams look for in a 1st round pick. He will turn 23 in November and after another season of college ball, would be a 24 year old rookie. He has already proven his talent at the college level and has very limited upside left to explore.

Now, if Reid's goal is to play in the tourney, contend for a national title etc then more power to him. Kentucky would certainly help that in that regard. But if his goal is to play in the NBA, he'd be MUCH better off turning pro right now and attempting to get into an NBA system/start making money (even if that is somewhere overseas for the time being).

I think you're a bit off here. It's not even specifically about the draft. If Reid wants to play in the NBA he needs to show the league that he can do what they would need him to do in terms of shooting, defense or whatever else the feedback he's gotten is. Guys like that can simply go the route of the G-League which is helpful in terms of being a full time pro but is also a real grind. Or you can show a year in college with improved skill and hope a team is intrigued. Being a 24 year old rookie matters if you're in talks of being a sure fire 1st rounder but at the back of the 1st and in the 2nd round teams want guys they think can contribute. Getting a 24 yr old that can play a role on your team on a cheap 4 year contract is a big deal for most teams, especially since most late 1st/2nd round guys aren't seeing a 2nd contract anyway.

I think you're a bit off here. It's not even specifically about the draft. If Reid wants to play in the NBA he needs to show the league that he can do what they would need him to do in terms of shooting, defense or whatever else the feedback he's gotten is. Guys like that can simply go the route of the G-League which is helpful in terms of being a full time pro but is also a real grind. Or you can show a year in college with improved skill and hope a team is intrigued. Being a 24 year old rookie matters if you're in talks of being a sure fire 1st rounder but at the back of the 1st and in the 2nd round teams want guys they think can contribute. Getting a 24 yr old that can play a role on your team on a cheap 4 year contract is a big deal for most teams, especially since most late 1st/2nd round guys aren't seeing a 2nd contract anyway.

Yep. This has been a big change in the league for a few years now. Used to be that late 1st rounders and were a pain financially. 2nd rounders were a waste. Now they are both in high demand.

I’m in the camp that says by going to KY and playing deep into the NCAA tournament that Travis improves his draft stock by demonstrating he is a key component to the teams success. Every year multiple guys in the final four get drafted. Guys that wouldn’t have without the exposure.
The guys in the top 60 I think move up and down based on how their teams do on many occasions. Absolutely not the only factor but I think it is one...or at the very least can be.

I’m in the camp that says by going to KY and playing deep into the NCAA tournament that Travis improves his draft stock by demonstrating he is a key component to the teams success. Every year multiple guys in the final four get drafted. Guys that wouldn’t have without the exposure.
The guys in the top 60 I think move up and down based on how their teams do on many occasions. Absolutely not the only factor but I think it is one...or at the very least can be.

It certainly can’t hurt him, unless he rides the pine. If he has a good run at KY in a leadership role that should elevate his draft stock. As for KY, it looks like Duke has taken over as the spot for all the top players to go, so it would be a good pickup for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who was the poster that said he talked to Pulley guys at the state tournament and said he loves Stanford and their academics... So much for that if he goes to Tucky.

I'd tell Matz, I hope you enjoyed your free year of tuition and C'ya later if Reid wanted to come here.

I mean he already got his Stanford degree. I'm not sure how him going to UK in his 5th year disproves that.

I mean he already got his Stanford degree. I'm not sure how him going to UK in his 5th year disproves that.

The comment I was refereing to was in refrence to him staying there for his 5th year. The poster was saying that he wouldn't transfer from there....

Not sure why everone assumes UK, maybe, but there are other great options.

Hmmmm....yeah but is Kentucky really interested in a one year rent-a-player? :D

Top Bottom