Minnesota Football: The Importance of the Run Game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per O'Brien:

Heading into the 2018 season, Minnesota must make establishing a strong running game on offense a priority in order to improve from last season. A big reason as to why the team was not always successful when handing the ball off is because of a lack of depth among the offensive line, which has been addressed this offseason through recruiting. With a deeper and stronger offensive line and veteran running back Rodney Smith in the backfield, it should be somewhat easier for the team to run the football consistently and effectively in 2018.

As far as improving their run defense, it comes down to better tackling and not getting bullied by the offensive line of opposing teams. In games when Minnesota gave up more than 200 rushing yards, it appeared as if the opponents’ offensive linemen were more physical and moving the Gophers front seven out of the way. Minnesota needs to see improvement in this area from their front seven, especially from traditional run-stuffing positions like middle linebacker or defensive tackle. As players continue to get more experience in Fleck’s defensive system, the defensive unit can make strides to become better against the run.

https://www.isportsweb.com/2018/05/28/minnesota-football-the-importance-of-the-run-game/

Go Gophers!!

I know the Gophers have a lot of "needs." But, I wonder if the biggest need isn't a really good D Tackle who can tie up O-Lineman and clog up the middle on defense.

Yeah - I know those type of players are really hard to find. It just seems to me as if the Gophers are always throwing slightly undersized D-tackles out there and hoping to get by on quickness and technique. That is all well and good, and Steven Richardson did a great job, but sometimes it would be nice to simply have a big ol' body out there who can do what Linval Joseph does for the Vikings.

Again - I know - hard to find. But isn't that the definition of a "need?"

I know the Gophers have a lot of "needs." But, I wonder if the biggest need isn't a really good D Tackle who can tie up O-Lineman and clog up the middle on defense.

Yeah - I know those type of players are really hard to find. It just seems to me as if the Gophers are always throwing slightly undersized D-tackles out there and hoping to get by on quickness and technique. That is all well and good, and Steven Richardson did a great job, but sometimes it would be nice to simply have a big ol' body out there who can do what Linval Joseph does for the Vikings.

Again - I know - hard to find. But isn't that the definition of a "need?"

Or run a different defense. If you can't recruit DT's, then maybe tweak the Defense where you don't need as many.

per O'Brien:

Heading into the 2018 season, Minnesota must make establishing a strong running game on offense a priority in order to improve from last season. A big reason as to why the team was not always successful when handing the ball off is because of a lack of depth among the offensive line, which has been addressed this offseason through recruiting. With a deeper and stronger offensive line and veteran running back Rodney Smith in the backfield, it should be somewhat easier for the team to run the football consistently and effectively in 2018.

As far as improving their run defense, it comes down to better tackling and not getting bullied by the offensive line of opposing teams. In games when Minnesota gave up more than 200 rushing yards, it appeared as if the opponents’ offensive linemen were more physical and moving the Gophers front seven out of the way. Minnesota needs to see improvement in this area from their front seven, especially from traditional run-stuffing positions like middle linebacker or defensive tackle. As players continue to get more experience in Fleck’s defensive system, the defensive unit can make strides to become better against the run.

https://www.isportsweb.com/2018/05/28/minnesota-football-the-importance-of-the-run-game/

Go Gophers!!

Crack journalism here (maybe journalism on crack?) Lazy, either way . The answer is there, just not in the text.

Offensively it appears we have the right plan, we need better players to go against the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern and Maryland

Of course when you're getting blown out by a score of 70-0 in you final two games and only attempt 20 passes in the games - combined mind you - having a game plan that at least attempts to make something happen offensively might help the running game get on track. Not that it would have changed the outcome, but it wouldn't have hurt our chances either.

Defensively, it appears we have no plan, but we need better players to avoid getting bowled over by the likes of Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern and Maryland (well maybe not Michigan on this one).

Of course, not being left on the field forever each of these games might help the defense from getting worn down as well.

Better coaching will help both situations as well. I do expect we'll see better coaching on offense this year given we've "proved our point" (or at least I hope so) in year zero. Defensively, we'll see what happens, but with better players, I'm not sure our defense is headed in the right direction given the D-Coordinator, and the massive turnover in coaching staff from year zero, -1, 1 whatever it is we're calling it this week.

All I know for sure is we shouldn't expect anything until every single guy on the roster is one of PJ Fleck's hand picked "Elite" recruits, so that's, what, another three years before we even have a chance to be good, right? Fits the timeline (somewhat) that has been laid out (at least originally. I forget if it's 2021 or 2022 now that we're supposed to be able to get excited about.

I’m pretty excited to see what Rodney Smith can do as the guy this year. I’ve loved him since we picked up his commitment - definitely one of those underrated gems.

If the 210 roster weight is legit he’s developed some decent size to go with his elite quicks. He looked to be in a different tier from our other options during the spring game. The big question marks will as always be a) can he stay healthy, and b) whether the blocking will be there, and c) get some help from the pass game.

I’m pretty excited to see what Rodney Smith can do as the guy this year. I’ve loved him since we picked up his commitment - definitely one of those underrated gems.

If the 210 roster weight is legit he’s developed some decent size to go with his elite quicks. He looked to be in a different tier from our other options during the spring game. The big question marks will as always be a) can he stay healthy, and b) whether the blocking will be there, and c) get some help from the pass game.

Agree. I'll add that I am excited to see if he plays a more dynamic role. I won't be surprised to see him more active in the passing game, and not as just a blocker.

Can't argue about the need for OLs to foster not only the running game, but the passing game too.

Bottom line. The Gophers need better recruits. And plenty of them for both the offensive and defensive line.

It won't happen overnight. However, we are seeing PJ Fleck shoring up the defensive line this recruiting cycle. The Gophers need to recruit at least another good OL recruit. Carroll is gone, and it looks like Benhart is going to the dark side.

Or run a different defense. If you can't recruit DT's, then maybe tweak the Defense where you don't need as many.

but, at some point, you just can't scheme around a lack of beef up front. given a choice, at least on 1st and 2nd down, I'll take a 320-lb DT over a 280-lb DT every time. Especially with the Gophers' strength at LB. a Linval Joseph-type DT can tie up one or two OL, freeing the LB's to flow with the play and make tackles.

Imagine what the Gopher LB's could do if they didn't have to fight off secondary blocks by the other teams o-linemen.

when it comes to DT's, quick is fine. but big, strong and mean trumps quickness in the trenches.

but, at some point, you just can't scheme around a lack of beef up front. given a choice, at least on 1st and 2nd down, I'll take a 320-lb DT over a 280-lb DT every time. Especially with the Gophers' strength at LB. a Linval Joseph-type DT can tie up one or two OL, freeing the LB's to flow with the play and make tackles.

Imagine what the Gopher LB's could do if they didn't have to fight off secondary blocks by the other teams o-linemen.

when it comes to DT's, quick is fine. but big, strong and mean trumps quickness in the trenches.

I do agree. I also don't think getting a couple DT's will be an issue. The problem has been the drop off from the starters to the second/ third string. The biggest problem our Gophers have had is essentially no depth, so the starters get gassed. Claey's full season? was nice because we had Ekpe, Richardson, Jackson, and Timms. That was a pretty strong two deep. It was probably the deepest DL we've had in some time. They could spell each other without a huge drop off. Most years we don't have that.

Having a defense that we can go multi/ send people from different positions and create havoc from time to time could help.

Top Bottom