Gophers will host NCAA Baseball Regional at Siebert Field

DanielHouse

Reaction score
After winning the Big Ten Tournament with a 6-4 win over Purdue, the Gophers baseball team will host an NCAA Tournament regional at Siebert Field for just the fourth time in program history. Minnesota, the No. 14 national seed (No. 1 in Minneapolis region), will open the regional with a first round matchup against Canisius at 7 p.m. CT on Friday. In the other portion of the bracket No. 2 UCLA will play No. 3 Gonzaga at 1 p.m. CT. All of these games will be televised on ESPNU. The double elimination tournament will begin June 1 and run through June 4 at Siebert Field. For the complete bracket, click here.

It’s just the second time head coach John Anderson’s team has hosted a regional during his 37-year career at Minnesota.

The Gophers finished the season by winning 13 of their final 14 games, including nine consecutive series wins. With a record of 41-13 overall, head coach John Anderson has Minnesota ranked in the top-three of the Big Ten for batting, pitching and fielding. With talented junior Reggie Meyer and true freshman Big Ten Pitcher/Freshman of the Year Patrick Fredrickson at the top of the rotation, the Gophers have two talented aces to carry them in the tournament. Out of the bullpen, true freshman closer Max Meyer has a 1.53 ERA and 18 saves. The help of young players like Meyer and Fredrickson have taken the Gophers to new heights in 2018. The entire Minnesota pitching staff finished the season with a 3.07 ERA, fueling their consistent success. At the plate, Minnesota has a balanced lineup, batting .301 and driving in 328 runs. Shortstop Terrin Vavra finished the season batting nearly .400 and has quickly become one of the top middle infielders in the country.

The Gophers’ ability to play strong defense, pitch, and score runs has them in a position to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

Hosting an NCAA Regional provides head coach John Anderson’s team with a home field postseason advantage for the first time since 2000.

Ticket information:

Beginning at 8 p.m. Sunday, all-session passes go on sale to current Gopher Score Members. Tuesday, May 29 at 12 p.m. Noon, all-session passes will go on sale to the general public. On Thursday, May 31 at 9 a.m., single session tickets will be released to the general public. To purchase tickets, click here: z.umn.edu/MBAPostSeason2018.

According to Gophers ticket office, all-session tickets can be purchased at a cost of $90 for a reserved stadium seat, $60 for an adult reserved bench seat, or $50 for a student, youth, or senior bench seats. Single-game tickets will be priced at $20 for remaining stadium seats while bench seats will be $12 for adults and $10 for students, youth, and seniors.

Question. Can the Gophers bring in baseball recruits as guests? Or would this be considered a violation?

Question. Can the Gophers bring in baseball recruits as guests? Or would this be considered a violation?

Pretty sure they cannot to post-season games. I’m sure someone knows, but it will still be great for recruiting if not. Hopefully games will be on TV too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they can officially but I'd guess there are ways around it. If the kid just pays for his own ticket it would be fine I think. I'm not sure if the new rule is in place yet or not where guys can't take unofficial/official visits until September 1st of their junior year. I guess if that was the case guys could still come to the games but just not interact at all with players/coaches.

As a former season ticket holder I have a Gopher Score of zero, I assume to be able to purchase currently you have to have a positive number?

EDIT- guess I have no Gopher score, which renders my question moot LOL

We got a favorable regionals.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Funny question since I'm poor and stuck in Ohio I've never been to Siebert Field so not sure of the layout other than what I've seen on Google Earth and watching games on TV (but I have been to handful of Gopher baseball and softball games when they travel to Columbus), but could they bring in some temporary auxiliry seating in the outfield if the demand for tickets exceeds seating capicity?

Funny question since I'm poor and stuck in Ohio I've never been to Siebert Field so not sure of the layout other than what I've seen on Google Earth and watching games on TV (but I have been to handful of Gopher baseball and softball games when they travel to Columbus), but could they bring in some temporary auxiliry seating in the outfield if the demand for tickets exceeds seating capicity?
Yeah there are a few different places they could if they need to.

I wonder what the ticket demand will be? I hope we put a lot of fans in the stands and put on a good show, win or lose.

No. Siebert is wedged in. People will need to walk a few blocks to get in as there is no parking close by. This was one of the reasons people feared the Gophers might not host.

I'm assuming that the Gophers Loyalty Card (which allows for free admission to Gophers Baseball games) doesn't apply to the NCAA Regionals? Not a big deal......I plan to attend AT LEAST one game.

I guess we disagree.
There is the berm over the left center field fence that you could figure how to put bleachers in although I'd just leave it open and people can bring chairs or just sit on the ground. Best option would be that you could add some on the back of the concourse above the berms down each base line as well.

I'm assuming that the Gophers Loyalty Card (which allows for free admission to Gophers Baseball games) doesn't apply to the NCAA Regionals? Not a big deal......I plan to attend AT LEAST one game.
Doesn't help you this weekend. All session pass $90 for seats, $60 for bleachers and single game $20 for seats, $12 for bleachers.

I wonder what the ticket demand will be? I hope we put a lot of fans in the stands and put on a good show, win or lose.

I'd like to check out a game but we'll see what tix are left by Thursday. I've not seen the new Siebert Field yet.

Chair backs are sold out except for a few singles.

Top Bottom