Ex-SIU player and Kill recruit Jason Seaman shot 3 times, intervened to stop attacker

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
High character.

Jason Seaman, a former defensive lineman at Southern Illinois, was the teacher who intervened to help stop a shooter at a middle school in Indiana on Friday.

Seaman was shot three times -- in his abdomen, hip and forearm -- after a student armed with two handguns opened fire at Noblesville West Middle School in suburban Indianapolis on Friday morning.

Seaman released a statement Friday evening confirming he was injured and thanking first responders.

...Students and parents said Seaman, a science teacher who also coaches football and track, helped stop the shooter, who pulled out a gun and opened fire while a seventh-grade class was taking a test.

"Our science teacher immediately ran at him, swatted a gun out of his hand and tackled him to the ground,'' seventh-grader Ethan Stonebraker said. "If it weren't for him, more of us would have been injured for sure.''

Police said a male student asked to be excused from class before returning with the guns, and investigators believe he acted alone.

Jacob Long, an eighth-grader, said students throughout the school were crying in their classrooms while teachers took off their belts to tether doors.

Long knew Seaman because he played football and ran track for him.

"He's a good coach and a good teacher," Long told the Indianapolis Star, "an all-around good guy."

Mac Lynas, a seventh-grader who also played football for Seaman, said, "He's a good coach, a good person."

Janna Lynas, Mac's mother, said Seaman cares about the kids. "More than just developing football players," she said, "he wants to develop kids into young men."

Seaman played at Southern Illinois from 2007 to 2010. He played in 47 career games and tallied eight sacks with two forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

Jerry Kill, the former SIU football coach who oversees the Salukis' athletic department, recruited Seaman.

"Someone asked me if I was surprised by what he did, and I said 'absolutely not,' he was our type of kid," Kill said. "That's what he stood for. He's a great young man."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...on-seaman-intervenes-school-shooting-shot-3-s

Jerry is a man of integrity and he develops men. Maybe not qbs but no doubt on him being a solid guy

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's what he does. he turns boys in to men, i'm not surprised in the least that one of his kids is a hero.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's what he does. he turns boys in to men, i'm not surprised in the least that one of his kids is a hero.

He had Seaman for his freshman year and then left for Northern Illinois. Seaman is a real hero and I sure wish Kill could have continued here, but let's not go too overboard.

Top Bottom