STrib: Can Richard Pitino's newest Gophers fuel bounce-back season?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In the span of three weeks, Pitino added Willis, Carr and Stull, an injection of May optimism. All three are talented guards and have different reasons for coming — but they share Gophers fans’ excitement. Pitino added to the buzz Tuesday on the Gopher Road Trip stop in St. Cloud, calling his current roster the “most talented” he has had at Minnesota.

His lineup’s final piece was Stull, who committed May 15 after visiting campus. He took the longest to decide, ultimately choosing the same path from Wisconsin-Milwaukee as former Panthers guard Akeem Springs: an immediately eligible graduate transfer with an NCAA-tournament-or-bust attitude. Springs got to the Big Dance with Minnesota in 2017.

“Not making it my last three years to the tournament, I think it’s kind of like a must,” the 6-4 Stull said. “I came out and looked at schools I felt like had a really good chance to make the tournament. I wanted to play an important role on a good, winning team.”

As a two-year starter and one of best shooters in the Horizon League, Stull was a hot name on the transfer market. His all-around game (13.4 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists last season) attracted interest from Butler, North Carolina State and Virginia.

“Other schools were going to give me kind of the same opportunity Minnesota was. But I clicked with the staff and the campus was awesome — kind of everything I was looking for plus more,” said Stull, who played for new Gophers assistant Rob Jeter at Milwaukee. “When I came up on my visit, I was blown away.”

http://www.startribune.com/brock-st...st-gophers-fuel-bounce-back-season/483622181/

Go Gophers!!

Stull was a major grab. We really needed another body in the backcourt and we nabbed a guy who was sought after by some really good teams.

Stull was a major grab. We really needed another body in the backcourt and we nabbed a guy who was sought after by some really good teams.

Wondering if Springs success helped him with his decision..

Top Bottom