Highest Cumulative GPA Ever for Football Team!

As usual, you have it wrong. It has been stated in GopherHole dozens of times that Brewster improved the academics of the football team significantly beyond what they were under Mason. They only began to slide after he was fired. The facts are there for you to look up if you are at all interested in truth and accuracy. Almost nothing that gets posted in GopherHole about Brewster is accurate. You are one of the biggest culprits.

So I'm interested in facts and "truth" so I looked it up, and shockingly, they don't quite support the argument you make, but do show that academics, as measured by APR have come a long way in the past 14 years.

As measured by APR, Mason was only measured for four years (in this data, APR data comes out after each academic year. For the year a coach was fired or left, since the first half of the year was under that coach, APR was left with the departing coach - e.g. Mason was fired during the 2006-2007 academic year, so 2007 was considered in Mason's tenure). Based on this, here are the averages, by coach, from 2004 (year data was first reported) to 2016 (last year, so Fleck isn't included in the Gophers data as of yet).

View attachment 5522

So while there is truth to Brewster increasing academics, at least as measured by APR, significantly is not the word that comes to mind. If you look at the Median, Brewster's 938 Score is higher than Mason's 929.5, again by .9%. Brewster's APR numbers were: 904, 968, 938, which supports the slide you suggest.

A couple of other numbers:

Mason: Min 912, Max 941
Brewster: Min 904, Max 968

So Brewster had a higher Max, but also a lower Min, although the Max was a bigger delta than the difference between the Mins.

And in the chart above, Mason's performance versus the average for All D-1A Football during his tenure was above, slightly, Brewster's.

Kill, on the other hand did much better than both of them:

Median - 991, 6.6% increase over Mason, 5.7% increase over Brewster.

Min - 917
Max - 994

Claeys single year reported is what it is. 2017 data will be attired to him, under the model I constructed, 2018 will be Fleck's first year of data.

What's interesting at this point, and an area Fleck seems to have bucked the trend, the data in year 1 for Brewster and Kill were the lowest for their tenures, and showed a 37 and 21 point decline vs. the previous year respectively. It appears that Fleck will have successfully maintained/improved grades, and will be interesting to see what happens to the APR when it's reported.

So there are the facts in terms of APR. This seems to support that academics, as measured by APR under Kill performed at a higher level than they did under Brewster. The strib article, (not SONs opinion) indicates that 21 players were under probation when Kill took over in early 2010. depending on roster size at the time, that's 15-20% of the roster.

Did I count wrongly? It actually took 27 posts for someone to bring up Kill?

How about we celebrate that Kill, Claeys, AND Fleck have all done a great job with the team's academic performance?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

How about we celebrate that Kill, Claeys, AND Fleck have all done a great job with the team's academic performance?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I like the way you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believer there were revisions to the APR over the years so schools were not dinged for players transferring while academically eligible or other reasons totally unrelated to academics (which this purports to measure in the least stringent and accurate way possible). That is good, as that caveat never made sense in the first place. I doubt if anyone took the time to revise the APRs prior to this change.

Top Bottom