Season Win/Loss Predictions 3 months out...

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
Until I see a trigger-man that can make plays this is what I see...

NM State - WIN Aggies get out manned by Goph D
Fresno State - LOSS Tedford is legit and although lost a lot from '17 I don't have a good feeling
Miami (OH) - WIN mid-pack MAC team
Maryland - LOSS PJ vs DJ part two Durkin has recruited at a pretty high level and if QBs healthy they have some playmakers
Iowa - LOSS returning QB who picked apart tOSU last season and had 26TD passes LB core inexperienced but D-line and secondary decent
Ohio State - LOSS borderline loser proof for tOSU fans
Nebraska - LOSS Husker D shaky but I think Frost has found a trigger man for his fast paced O in Martinez
Indiana - WIN home game vs coach looking for an offense
Illinois - WIN Young roster for Lovie which doesn't look too impressive
Purdue - LOSS Tough call but two good QBs for Brohm although they lose a lot on D side
NW - WIN QB recovering from bowl injury and RB graduated
WI - LOSS That will be 15 in a row

A few may swap but I see 5-7

NM State - WIN
Fresno State - WIN
Miami (OH) - WIN
Indiana - WIN
Illinois - WIN
Purdue - WIN
NW - WIN

7-5 entering bowl game.

4 for sure

NM State, Miami (OH), Illinois and Fresno or NW (both would give us 5; I think both are possible)

hopefully more but I'm not confident in our x's and o's

If you held a gun to my head, I guess I would say 6-6 right now. My opinion will likely change after the first couple of games, but I want to see how the offense looks before I would bet my own money on what this team will do.

I'm on board with 5-7.

7-5

Wins against: NM State, Miami OH, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern

8-5 including a shocker at OSU.

If I had to guess now, 5-7 seems reasonable. A game either way (4-8 or 6-6) wouldn't surprise me.

5-7 seems like a baseline. +1 or -1 on that wouldn't be a big surprise.

So many unknowns. Things could swing dramatically.

NM State -W
Fresno State - W
Miami (OH) - W
Maryland - L
Iowa - L
Ohio State - L
Nebraska - W
Indiana - W
Illinois - W
Purdue - W
Northwestern - L
Wisconsin - L

I think we will for sure lose against Wisconsin and OSU, and we should for sure win against New Mexico, Miami, and Illinois. Should probably win against Indiana and Nebraska, and I would say we will probably lose against Iowa and Northwestern. That leaves us with Fresno, Maryland, and Purdue as games that are sort of toss ups to me. I don't think Purdue will have as good of a season they did a year ago with all of the losses on Defense, although I do think that Blough could have a nice year. I feel like Maryland will be a tough one with all of the good talent they keep bringing in although I don't know their roster that well. Fresno scares me as they are a proven solid team and we face them early in the year.

NM State -W
Fresno State - W
Miami (OH) - W
Maryland - L
Iowa - L
Ohio State - L
Nebraska - W
Indiana - W
Illinois - W
Purdue - W
Northwestern - L
Wisconsin - L

I think we will for sure lose against Wisconsin and OSU, and we should for sure win against New Mexico, Miami, and Illinois. Should probably win against Indiana and Nebraska, and I would say we will probably lose against Iowa and Northwestern. That leaves us with Fresno, Maryland, and Purdue as games that are sort of toss ups to me. I don't think Purdue will have as good of a season they did a year ago with all of the losses on Defense, although I do think that Blough could have a nice year. I feel like Maryland will be a tough one with all of the good talent they keep bringing in although I don't know their roster that well. Fresno scares me as they are a proven solid team and we face them early in the year.

Yeah you gotta thinks with the talent Maryland finally takes off a bit sometime.

Yeah you gotta thinks with the talent Maryland finally takes off a bit sometime.

I am thinking PJ is being to coy with this team. I mean there is more talent than he is mentioning. The only change I would make is a win versus Northwestern. 8 - 4 You can take that to the bank.

And people were upset with Judd Zulgad and the Omaha World Herald? :confused:

8-5 with a regular season win on 11/24 included. This will make my Thanksgiving weekend completely satisfying!

The trigger position is certainly important, but I think the success of 2018 will depend on our offensive line. If that unit is greatly improved 7-8 wins is possible, if not, 5 wins is the ceiling.

I am thinking PJ is being to coy with this team. I mean there is more talent than he is mentioning. The only change I would make is a win versus Northwestern. 8 - 4 You can take that to the bank.

With our team? Man I duno.... last year didn't make me feel like we were loaded with talent.... even if you're holding back guys to red shirt, some of the other guys not getting it done will play again this year.

This is the year that PJ steps up and matches TC!!!

I do not see why this team cannot win 7 or 8 games if the defense is any good and the offense shows a little life.

The only 99 percent losses on the schedule are Ohio State and Wisconsin. That Iowa QB looked pretty good last year and if they are trending upwards that is a tough one as well.

Northwestern gets talked up all the time and then they look like crap for half the year, and I am not sure why they are to be feared. ... edit this can't hurt though https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html

The big one I have an issue with is Nebraska being considered a Loss almost universally.

-Did not Nebraska look pretty awful last year?

-more importantly is it not Year Zero for Frost? We all know no coach can win in the dreaded Year Zero.

My Take On The Season

Until I see a trigger-man that can make plays this is what I see...

NM State - WIN Aggies get out manned by Goph D
Fresno State - LOSS Tedford is legit and although lost a lot from '17 I don't have a good feeling
Miami (OH) - WIN mid-pack MAC team
Maryland - LOSS PJ vs DJ part two Durkin has recruited at a pretty high level and if QBs healthy they have some playmakers
Iowa - LOSS returning QB who picked apart tOSU last season and had 26TD passes LB core inexperienced but D-line and secondary decent
Ohio State - LOSS borderline loser proof for tOSU fans
Nebraska - LOSS Husker D shaky but I think Frost has found a trigger man for his fast paced O in Martinez
Indiana - WIN home game vs coach looking for an offense
Illinois - WIN Young roster for Lovie which doesn't look too impressive
Purdue - LOSS Tough call but two good QBs for Brohm although they lose a lot on D side
NW - WIN QB recovering from bowl injury and RB graduated
WI - LOSS That will be 15 in a row

A few may swap but I see 5-7

Here we go:
NMS - W
Fresno State (KEY GAME) - L
Miami of OH - close W
Maryland - (KEY GAME) - L
Iowa - W
OSU - L
NE - L
IN - W
IL - W
PU - W
NW - W
WI - L

With our schedule, this team should definitely be a 7 or 8 win team. I'd be pleasantly surprised with 9, disappointed with 6, and furious with 5 or less.

NM State -W
Fresno State - W
Miami (OH) - W
@ Maryland - L
Iowa - W
@ Ohio State - L
@ Nebraska - L
Indiana - W
@ Illinois - W
Purdue - W
Northwestern - L
@ Wisconsin - L

7-5 overall, 4-5 in B1G

Second guess: 6-6 with the additional L being to Iowa, Fresno, or Purdue

Think the Fresno and Maryland games are big in terms of building momentum. Both winnable, but tough. If we start at 4-0 I'm going to be really excited.

NM State -W
Fresno State - W
Miami (OH) - W
@ Maryland - W
Iowa - W
@ Ohio State - L
@ Nebraska - W
Indiana - W
@ Illinois - W
Purdue - L
Northwestern - L
@ Wisconsin - L

Poised for greatness and injuries and lack of depth tank the end of the season. Still would be happy most of the season.

Doomsday prediction: 5 wins.

Realistic prediction: 6 wins.

Maroon colored glasses prediction: 7 wins.

Fantasy prediction: 8 wins.

Anything more than 8 wins means the making of the statue of PJ begins.

This is all based on the fact that the QB position is still an unknown.

I am so sick that we never have any hope of beating Wisconsin. There is no valid reason we don't compete year in and year out. Inexperienced or not if you believe our coaches CAN coach we should have above average QB play this year. 8 wins plus a nice bowl win. 9!!

BTW that includes a Maryland road win.

Top Bottom