Grace Cumming, 6' 3", Des Moines Roosevelt HS, Freshman Year

hungan1

Reaction score
Grace Cumming playing in her Freshman year. She looks good!!! She gives the Gophers a nice interior player. It will be something if Paige Bueckers (2020) decide to join the Gophers.

Grace Cumming (2019) Basketball 2015/16

Grace Cumming, D.M. Roosevelt junior, will play basketball at Minnesota
John Naughton, Des Moines Register, September 7, 2017
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/09/07/roosevelts-grace-cumming-follows-moms-college-path-minnesota/640838001/

Her mom went to the U.

She looks like a player. If this is really from her freshman year I'm hoping she's continued to develop. Her handle looks functional for a big and she shoots the three with ease. Looks like a really nice recruit.

She looks like a player. If this is really from her freshman year I'm hoping she's continued to develop. Her handle looks functional for a big and she shoots the three with ease. Looks like a really nice recruit.

A unicorn?

Cumming missed six months last year with chronic back problems, and there was a lot of uncertainty among recruiters about how that would impact her long-term prospects. It is still very much a question mark but there's little doubt that she can be an impact player if she is healthy.

She has let her high school volleyball coach know that she is only playing basketball her SR year to concentrate on basketball and continue to train specifically for hoops. She had volleyball offers from Big10, Big East and Missouri Valley schools that she was considering as well. She led the state of Iowa in kills her Sophomore year, which precipitated her back issues. She played high level club in both sports simultaneously for 3 or 4 years, pretty much year round. She has never been basketball only.

She has let her high school volleyball coach know that she is only playing basketball her SR year to concentrate on basketball and continue to train specifically for hoops. She had volleyball offers from Big10, Big East and Missouri Valley schools that she was considering as well. She led the state of Iowa in kills her Sophomore year, which precipitated her back issues. She played high level club in both sports simultaneously for 3 or 4 years, pretty much year round. She has never been basketball only.

She'd been playing BB and VB for a long long with rarely a break. This finally caught up with her in the form of 24/7 pain. Taking a break probably contributed to her being rated not as high with questions about her durability. I think she is fine now and is a big get for the GOphers.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...yball-court-after-ending-24-7-pain/588591001/

"Pain became an opponent that finally benched her. After tendinitis and back problems gave her constant soreness — a result of overuse and poor mechanics — she finally decided she had enough last basketball season."

"For six months, Cumming dedicated herself to getting healthy through rest and retraining her body to move using proper technique."

Does anyone have the latest news on Grace Cumming and Sara Scalia?

Grace Cumming playing in her Freshman year. She looks good!!! She gives the Gophers a nice interior player. It will be something if Paige Bueckers (2020) decide to join the Gophers.

Grace Cumming (2019) Basketball 2015/16

Grace Cumming, D.M. Roosevelt junior, will play basketball at Minnesota
John Naughton, Des Moines Register, September 7, 2017
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/09/07/roosevelts-grace-cumming-follows-moms-college-path-minnesota/640838001/

Her mom went to the U.

Hopefully, her back issues have been resolved since focusing solely on basketball. The Gophers can sure use height in the interior. It will be interesting to see how she'll match up against bigger, faster, and stronger competition at the next level. I think a year under the strength and conditioning program in a red shirt year will help her get stronger.

I think a year under the strength and conditioning program in a red shirt year will help her get stronger.

Offhand I can't think of any recent non-injury, non-transfer red shirts. Zahui B I suppose; but that was because she enrolled for second semester and decided to wait and play a full season. I don't know what Whalen is planning; but I doubt healthy players will red shirt.

Whalen is about winning. I think she'll do great especially with the point guards. She'll develop players to their full potentials.

IMHO, she'll utilize virtually the entire bench (ala Cheryl Reeve) depending on opponents which will be fun and great for the players. They'll be more tournament ready when the team reaches that level of play.

Top Bottom