Jarvis Omersa: Practicing against Jordan Murphy will "be really good for me"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Jarvis Omersa: Practicing against Jordan Murphy will "be really good for me"

per Marcus:

Practicing against All-Big Ten power forward Jordan Murphy will “be really good for me,” Omersa said about when he joins the team this summer. Murphy is one of the most athletic players in the Big Ten, but Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Omersa will be the best athlete on the team.

“I don’t even think it’s close that he’s hands down the best athlete,” Pitino said. “I haven’t recruited a lot of crazy dunkers. Jarvis is one of the best athletes in the country. Jarvis excites me. Being a great athlete is great. That’s not what makes you a great player. But I think he’s got a lot of intangibles: Underrated passer, terrific rebounder, great size and strength. That’s what excites me.”

Omersa knows everyone will label him as a dunker coming into college, but he’s working on showing the Gophers he can be much more than that. He hopes to impact the game on both ends of the floor.

“Definitely athleticism is a big part of my game,” he said. “But if you ask people that play with me it’s not just the athleticism. They say that when they play with me it’s about playing hard. I just bring intensity and energy to the game when I play.”

Omersa added: “I’ve definitely been in the lab working. That’s what I need at this level for sure to be able to shoot and put the ball on the floor for sure. But defense for sure, rebounding for sure, running the floor for sure will get me on the court right away.”

http://www.startribune.com/jarvis-o...-aau-event-excited-to-join-gophers/483476091/

Go Gophers!!

The only way someone like that doesn't get minutes is if he is a turnover machine. If he can safely get the ball to a teammate and play defense, rebound, dunk...obviously he's an important piece to our most talented Pitino team. Omersa should be fun to watch develop.

He is getting minutes. From the bits I have seen, his game will be better than Curry’s freshman year game. His post moves are better, he elevates better, his outside shot is way better than freshman yr Curry. He plays good D, and he rebounds well, it’s difficult for me to compare these to Curry based on what I have seen, but my guess is he will match Curry in these areas. Assuming all that, we know the impact Curry had; this kid is going to get good minutes.

He is getting minutes. From the bits I have seen, his game will be better than Curry’s freshman year game. His post moves are better, he elevates better, his outside shot is way better than freshman yr Curry. He plays good D, and he rebounds well, it’s difficult for me to compare these to Curry based on what I have seen, but my guess is he will match Curry in these areas. Assuming all that, we know the impact Curry had; this kid is going to get good minutes.

He definitely elevates better but not 100% sold on those two in the bold. Plus you are probably comparing what you've seen with Jarvis against HS kids vs Curry against Big Ten players.

Whose minutes does he take? I can't see him getting more than 10.

I think Jarvis has great potential but I disagree Curry was more developed coming in.

I see maybe 10 mins/game unless someone gets hurt but I think by the time he’s a junior he’s going to be really good. Reminds me a little bit of Murphy/Rodney Williams

He definitely elevates better but not 100% sold on those two in the bold. Plus you are probably comparing what you've seen with Jarvis against HS kids vs Curry against Big Ten players.

Curry’s outside shot was not good FR year, and his form needed some work. His post moves were good, but he struggled finishing. Most of his points came from dishes and offensive put backs, because shots off the post moves were usually off. Considering he was a post scorer, he shot 43%, which is pretty low. Bakary shot 46% that year, so that gives you a frame of reference.

I’m not saying that Jarvis is going to put 15 pts on the board and start, but I am saying he has enough game that he will give us something similar to what Curry gave us his FR year. Curry put up obtainable numbers 5 pt/g, 5 rb/g in 19 m/g. Curry was effective cause he brought energy and athleticism off the bench.

Might not be a bad idea. Add 10-15 pounds with out losing any speed or hops,

He prob wont see much playing time as a freshman anyway...

plays the 3/4, Coffee and Murphy play 30 min + per game.....

Might not be a bad idea. Add 10-15 pounds with out losing any speed or hops,

He prob wont see much playing time as a freshman anyway...

plays the 3/4, Coffee and Murphy play 30 min + per game.....

Sounds good initially to redshirt him. However, depth has been our biggest issue the past few years. Injuries, foul trouble, etc. happen. We will need him. Also, we will really need him next year when Murphy is gone. There is no better teacher than playing time. The sooner he gets minutes, the better. Lastly, there is nothing like a high-flying slam to ignite a lazy crowd. I say he averages 5-10 minutes a game this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. I like Jarvis, I think he'll be a nice player a few years down the road but all he is right now is a dunk, rebound and block shots athlete.

Sounds good initially to redshirt him. However, depth has been our biggest issue the past few years. Injuries, foul trouble, etc. happen. We will need him. Also, we will really need him next year when Murphy is gone. There is no better teacher than playing time. The sooner he gets minutes, the better. Lastly, there is nothing like a high-flying slam to ignite a lazy crowd. I say he averages 5-10 minutes a game this year.

I agree. In today’s game you need to play who you got. If they are real good they may not be around for that 4th or 5th year. I think Pitino expects to reload with good recruits every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. In today’s game you need to play who you got. If they are real good they may not be around for that 4th or 5th year. I think Pitino expects to reload with good recruits every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agrees. If you got a player who can contribute, play him now. Any number if things can happen, and if we can't find a replacement by the time we get to what would be his fifth year, we've got bigger problems than a single redshirt.

Agreed. With the depth problems we have had the last two years, red shirting him would be just asking for something bad to happen. In this day and age, red shirting is about giving a guy who is not ready to play physically a chance to get stronger and be more physically ready, or a player is injured. Pretty rare at the highest levels to red shirt to stockpile players.

Bingo. I like Jarvis, I think he'll be a nice player a few years down the road but all he is right now is a dunk, rebound and block shots athlete.

People are missing my point; let me put it this way, do you think Jarvis can give us 5 pt/g, 5 rb/g next year?

Agreed. With the depth problems we have had the last two years, red shirting him would be just asking for something bad to happen. In this day and age, red shirting is about giving a guy who is not ready to play physically a chance to get stronger and be more physically ready, or a player is injured. Pretty rare at the highest levels to red shirt to stockpile players.

If something bad happens, can always pull the red shirt.

Maybe it's time to be more like Villanova.

18-19 year old boys arent typically built to compete with 20+ year olds from michigan and mich st.

4's and 5's should redshirt, and add strength.

If he plays mostly at 3, maybe he can get away with being a little light to start out....

cant learn much from 10 minutes a game, especially if he's started his whole life.

can learn from the bench red shirting as well.

Still plays against big ten talent in practice every day.

18-19 year old boys arent typically built to compete with 20+ year olds from michigan and mich st.

If he plays mostly at 3, maybe he can get away with being a little light to start out....

cant learn much from 10 minutes a game, especially if he's started his whole life.

Good points. My one retort would be that if the red shirt is planned and then pulled later, he has lost a lot of game experience while prepping to red shirt. Call me paranoid about not having enough players.

UW , Villanova and UVA have made tremendous use of REDSHIRTS. Not forced, you present a likely minutes schedule and let the player decide. He gets off to a great academic start and in the extra year kids are working on a Masters. Basketball wise you have bigger, stronger players as 1 st years and that is the best way to combat the Dukes, KU ans UK's of the world because you will never out recruit them.

Good points. My one retort would be that if the red shirt is planned and then pulled later, he has lost a lot of game experience while prepping to red shirt. Call me paranoid about not having enough players.

Long time Gopher fans can never be called "paranoid."

Dunks are over rated. They are only worth 2 points.
We have no idea how healthy any of last year's casualties will be and whether they will hold up over the season. The kid has to be ready to bring it on day one and it sounds like he's pumped to do just that.

We have no idea how healthy any of last year's casualties will be and whether they will hold up over the season. The kid has to be ready to bring it on day one and it sounds like he's pumped to do just that.

Impressive dunks get the crowd going more than a layup or standard dunk. They also get the team more excited and at times give them more of a shot of adrenaline. All of those things are helpful.

Impressive dunks get the crowd going more than a layup or standard dunk. They also get the team more excited and at times give them more of a shot of adrenaline. All of those things are helpful.
Meh...I'm probably too cerebral. I see it as two points. To each their own.

That's like saying 'hustle plays are overrated. That loose ball is only 1 extra possession worth maybe .7-.8 points' Energy, excitement and aggression all matter and are all contagious on some level. Dunks are only worth 2 points but sometimes they change the feel of a game

That's like saying 'hustle plays are overrated. That loose ball is only 1 extra possession worth maybe .7-.8 points' Energy, excitement and aggression all matter and are all contagious on some level. Dunks are only worth 2 points but sometimes they change the feel of a game
Sometimes they don't.
What changes a game is getting stops on defense and scoring on offense. I couldn't care less about the means by which that happens.

Travis may well be a big contributor next year. Murphy needs a quaity power players around him to have his big games. It really depends at what we have at the 5. There will be minutes for Travis. He excites the game.

Travis may well be a big contributor next year. Murphy needs a quaity power players around him to have his big games. It really depends at what we have at the 5. There will be minutes for Travis. He excites the game.

Assume you mean Jarvis?

I don't generally get too excited about a Murphy layup. But I do get off my seat when he throws one down. Yes it's only 2 points but it generally ignites the Barn.

Very wishful thinking. Curry played extremely well as a true freshman. Typically you cannot expect that from anything other than the elite HS players. I'd love to be wrong.

Have always thought it is clearly in the gophers to redshirt him. Will he contribute more next year or as a 23 year old? Jarvis has to agree and it certainly would be a calculated risk given our injury history. Still, the long term benefit makes it a risk well worth taking. I am as well expecting more from Matz than some so makes it easier to take this position.

Top Bottom