Jarvis Omersa: Practicing against Jordan Murphy will "be really good for me"

People are missing my point; let me put it this way, do you think Jarvis can give us 5 pt/g, 5 rb/g next year?

Honestly, I'm skeptical. I'm assuming those were Curry's stats and why you bring them up as a point of reference. I think Jarvis will be fine in the non con, but will have a tougher time come the Big Ten season (obvious statement, I know). I just think he's just an athlete playing basketball right now. Granted, you can get away with that much much more as a big man than as a guard but I think his actual skill development has a ways to go. Murphy and Curry were much more polished coming in as freshmen and they weren't close to finished products.

I think he can contribute and he will have some dunks this year that just amaze you but IMO he is the freshman that I think will have the toughest time right away. Doesn't mean he can't be a good player down the road but I'm not expecting too much of him.

Sometimes they don't.
What changes a game is getting stops on defense and scoring on offense. I couldn't care less about the means by which that happens.

For being "too cerebral" you seem to be missing their points--and they're good ones. They're saying a big dunk can contribute to other parts of the game, including getting stops on defense and scoring on offense. In other words, more than just two points.

I don't generally get too excited about a Murphy layup. But I do get off my seat when he throws one down. Yes it's only 2 points but it generally ignites the Barn.

I assume MennoSota doesn't think the crowd affects the game at all, and ultimately doesn't believe that home court advantage is a thing. Likely doesn't believe in momentum or confidence either.

I assume MennoSota doesn't think the crowd affects the game at all, and ultimately doesn't believe that home court advantage is a thing. Likely doesn't believe in momentum or confidence either.

I've seen statistical evidence of home court advantage, I haven't seen statistical evidence that a dunk contributes more to a win than any other type of basket.

For being "too cerebral" you seem to be missing their points--and they're good ones. They're saying a big dunk can contribute to other parts of the game, including getting stops on defense and scoring on offense. In other words, more than just two points.
A layup can do the same thing, or a three point shot. We're just talking about emotions of fans. I have no problem with fans liking a dunk shot, but it only counts as two points.
Rodney Williams could jump out of the gym and had some athletic dunks, but he rarely changed a games outcome with a dunk. In fact, Rodney's one dimensional game was often a hindrance when we needed a big bucket.

I've seen statistical evidence of home court advantage, I haven't seen statistical evidence that a dunk contributes more to a win than any other type of basket.

What contributes to home court advantage? Do the fans have anything to do with that? Do the fans react differently when a player posterizes someone than they do when they make a routine layup?

What contributes to home court advantage? Do the fans have anything to do with that? Do the fans react differently when a player posterizes someone than they do when they make a routine layup?

Answers to questions 2 and 3: 2). Yes, 3). Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is zero chance Omersa redshirts this season, none. Quite frankly, I'm shocked it's even a topic. The dude is freakishly athletic and does more than just dunk. He can play defense and rebound. Sure the offensive game needs some polishing, but that's true for any incoming freshman. People trying to compare him to Rodney Williams is laughable. Rodney relied on talent and athleticism, but he didn't care about working on his game. When others lock themselves in a gym late at night, he was nowhere to be found. He never got better in college.

Omersa won't have to put up 15 and 10 per night to be effective as a freshman. You've got Murphy and Curry in front of him. At some point in a game next season, Curry and/or Murphy will have foul trouble. Omersa will be needed for depth. He'll get 10-15 minutes per game if, as stated earlier in this threat, the college game isn't too much for him to handle as a freshman. His body looks Big 10 ready, but we won't find out until we see him in action.

Most fans are morons...[emoji28]

The crowd can create energy and get the players focused, I think home court advantage is more related to familiarity than the crowd though.

Most fans are morons...[emoji28]

My questions were rhetorical. Figured that would be obvious. Feel free to continue thinking “dunk shots” don’t get players and fans more excited than layups though.

My questions were rhetorical. Figured that would be obvious. Feel free to continue thinking “dunk shots” don’t get players and fans more excited than layups though.
I never said players and fans didn't get more excited. I said they are only worth 2 points.
Getting stops and making shots wins games. How they are made is irrelevant to the outcome.
Just win.

I’m of the opinion omersa will get plenty of minutes. With him, curry and stockman on the floor with Murphy teams will not be able to double or game plan just for Murphy. It will also keep Murphy fresher at end of games. Watching games last year with konate and diedieu they couldn’t track the ball and where always a step late - Curry played well as a freshman, stockman size should make a difference and if omersa can make teams pay for to much attention on Murphy he will get plenty of minutes.

Also every time I dunked in a game my teammates always seemed more confident and energized.

I never said players and fans didn't get more excited. I said they are only worth 2 points.
Getting stops and making shots wins games. How they are made is irrelevant to the outcome.
Just win.

Players feed off energy from the crowd and from each other so it can lead to stops and other points that they may not have gotten otherwise.

Players feed off energy from the crowd and from each other so it can lead to stops and other points that they may not have gotten otherwise.
This is an assertion that I doubt is backed up by facts. Many dunks excite the crowd, but don't change the outcome of a game at all.
You are free to get excited. I don't...unless the dunk wins the game (ie Oturu over Apple Valley).

A layup can do the same thing, or a three point shot. We're just talking about emotions of fans. I have no problem with fans liking a dunk shot, but it only counts as two points.
Rodney Williams could jump out of the gym and had some athletic dunks, but he rarely changed a games outcome with a dunk. In fact, Rodney's one dimensional game was often a hindrance when we needed a big bucket.

Haven't you noticed that the energy of the fans helps the players? You know, part of the reason teams play way better at home? An impressive dunk fires up teammates more than a layup. A three pointer ... it depends.

Reading the rest of the thread, it appears that several people have pointed out these same things to you. You don't need a scientific study to back what we are talking about. Anybody who regularly watches basketball and has any clue of what is going on knows that certain types of plays--regardless of how many point they are worth--affect the upcoming plays. It seems like maybe you think certain intangibles don't exist because they aren't as obvious to you.

There is zero chance Omersa redshirts this season, none. Quite frankly, I'm shocked it's even a topic. The dude is freakishly athletic and does more than just dunk. He can play defense and rebound. Sure the offensive game needs some polishing, but that's true for any incoming freshman. People trying to compare him to Rodney Williams is laughable. Rodney relied on talent and athleticism, but he didn't care about working on his game. When others lock themselves in a gym late at night, he was nowhere to be found. He never got better in college.

Omersa won't have to put up 15 and 10 per night to be effective as a freshman. You've got Murphy and Curry in front of him. At some point in a game next season, Curry and/or Murphy will have foul trouble. Omersa will be needed for depth. He'll get 10-15 minutes per game if, as stated earlier in this threat, the college game isn't too much for him to handle as a freshman. His body looks Big 10 ready, but we won't find out until we see him in action.

Agreed. He is way better and much more skilled than Rodney Williams. Jarvis can dribble, shoot, make fts, move the ball.

He will play and play a lot more than people think.

Agreed. He is way better and much more skilled than Rodney Williams. Jarvis can dribble, shoot, make fts, move the ball.

I'm counting on you being correct. We need more than a Rodney Williams clone.

Answers to questions 2 and 3: 2). Yes, 3). Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting theory,

It seems to work for Jay Wright at Villanova.

Jarvis' RS Senior year would be much better than his true freshman year, if he stays that long.

Though I cant name a current gopher in the pros off the top of my head.

I do not think he will redshirt but it is a worthy topic. Far more advanced players have done it at other programs precisely because of that 10 minutes versus 30 as a mature 5th year.

What makes you say this?

Neither were/are very good shooters and will/would only make an occasional three every once in a while. According to D1 circuit, Jarvis went 1-11 from 3 last year in the EYBL and made only 9 total 3's during this HS season on MN Basketball Hub. It does not list his total attempts there. As far as ball handling, Jarvis can dribble a little, maybe a little above average i'd say for a PF but I definitely wouldn't say he was for sure better than Rodney at this. Both guys can/could dribble some but neither are/were spectacular ball handlers.

The only thing that Jarvis for sure has on Rodney right now is strength and he's maybe an inch taller and is more suited to play PF. Skill wise I definitely wouldn't say either is more skilled than the other as they both leave much to be desired.

That being said, if Oturu and Washingotn turn out to be a studs, Carr becomes a quality piece and Gabe or Willis end up being a knockdown shooter then I'd be completely fine if Jarvis turned out to be another Rodney. The guy averaged double digit scoring numbers, over 5 RPG and over a block per game his last two years here. Of course if that ends up being the best we have then we are in trouble but if we have better players around him then I would absolutely take a Rodney Williams caliber guy as our 4th or 5th guy.

I do not think he will redshirt but it is a worthy topic. Far more advanced players have done it at other programs precisely because of that 10 minutes versus 30 as a mature 5th year.

I doubt Pitino will consider it either, but he should.

There is decent depth at 4/5

Curry, Stockman (if he earns pt), Orturo, and Murphy.

If Murph is in foul trouble, Orturo picks up more minutes, if Curry's knee isnt back to where it needs to be, Orturo plays more,

If more than that happens, pull a redshirt off Jarvis, he's been practicing against Murphy all year.

On the topic of red shirting Jarvis, Ryan James said on a One and Done Show podcast awhile back that Jarvis likely wouldn’t red shirt if he has aspirations of playing pro basketball, which he likely does, whether that’s the NBA or overseas, because he’ll only have his high level athleticism for so many years, and that a 5th year of college would cut into his available years to play professionally.

What makes you say this?

Neither were/are very good shooters and will/would only make an occasional three every once in a while. According to D1 circuit, Jarvis went 1-11 from 3 last year in the EYBL and made only 9 total 3's during this HS season on MN Basketball Hub. It does not list his total attempts there. As far as ball handling, Jarvis can dribble a little, maybe a little above average i'd say for a PF but I definitely wouldn't say he was for sure better than Rodney at this. Both guys can/could dribble some but neither are/were spectacular ball handlers.

The only thing that Jarvis for sure has on Rodney right now is strength and he's maybe an inch taller and is more suited to play PF. Skill wise I definitely wouldn't say either is more skilled than the other as they both leave much to be desired.

That being said, if Oturu and Washingotn turn out to be a studs, Carr becomes a quality piece and Gabe or Willis end up being a knockdown shooter then I'd be completely fine if Jarvis turned out to be another Rodney. The guy averaged double digit scoring numbers, over 5 RPG and over a block per game his last two years here. Of course if that ends up being the best we have then we are in trouble but if we have better players around him then I would absolutely take a Rodney Williams caliber guy as our 4th or 5th guy.

Stats wise, you may be correct. But did you watch Jarvis play over the last 2 months of the season?

Just watch film of Jarvis this yr and rodney his whole college career. Rodney never looked comfortable handling the ball. Jarvis wants the ball, is very physical, has a good touch on his shot (shooting and ft % a side)

Jarvis improved more in the last 12 months than almost any high end, HM MN prep I can remember in the last 15 yrs. He went from a total unknown to a complete monster, who brought the ball up, hit threes, blocked shots and D-ed up D1 players.

This isn't a slam on Rodney. It's just people who want to compete the two aren't close. Rodney never worked on his handles, always shot a flat knuckle ball, and was a 3 playing the 4 spot. Jarvis is a legit 4 man who has the skill to handle or float if needs be. Potential for this young man is high! Cant wait!

I don't see him getting many minutes. I don't think he can play the 5 and we already have Curry, Matz, and Oturu there. Don't think he'll get any minutes at the 3 as I don't think he has the necessary skill set plus we already have Coffey getting a bulk of the minutes there with Hurt hopefully improving enough to give us quality reserve minutes. He's a 4, and our two best 4s are Murph (arguably the best player on our team) and Curry.

Just don't see a spot where he gets significant minutes unless we have an injury or two. And he is still pretty raw overall. Just like the title of this thread says, the best thing he can do this year is get better by going against Murph in practice and then get some regular PT as a sophomore when we no longer have Murph. I love his attitude and potential. He could be a really good player for us down the road.

Best case scenario - Gophers redshirt Omersa because they don't need him to play significant minutes.

worst-case scenario - Omersa is forced to play significant minutes because players ahead of him on the depth chart are injured or under-performing.

One of the trickiest things to do in sports is to look at a 16 or 17-year-old kid and project what they can become as a 20 or 21-year old. Some guys peak early - hit a plateau and never get significantly better. Other guys mature later, and show a lot of growth from 18 to 21..

I would say, as a rule of thumb - if a player is not a 1-and-done, or an instant contributor as a FR, they're better off red-shirting to get a year older and stronger.

is it worth giving up a year of eligibility for 5-6 minutes and 2-3 points a game? I would say no. Now, if you're talking 15-20 minutes a game and 8-10 points, that's a different kettle of fish.

the one time I remember a RW dunk changing a game was when he had a breakaway 360 against Michigan or Michigan State with the Gophers up about 15. I mentioned to my seatmate that he maybe shouldn't poke the sleeping bear and sure enough they woke up and crushed the Gophers the rest of the way.

It was a sweet dunk though. I have a video of a Howard Pulley Pro-Am game back in the day where Rodney had about 12 dunks in a game. That was a better style of play for his game.

Top Bottom