STrib: Gophers coach Richard Pitino says next team will be most talented

One factor not being addressed, how will the rest of the Big Ten look next year?

No Miles Bridges, Jaren Jackson, Big guy from Purdue is gone,

Moritz is leaving Michigan,

I'm sure some will re-load effectively, but who's the best player left in the conference?

is it Jordan Murphy?

Carsen Edwards, Palmer Jr., Happ, Juwan Morgan. Murphy is right in the mix with those guys, IMO. Winston, Cowan, Huerter are some other top players. I'm sure I'm missing some others.

Carsen Edwards, Palmer Jr., Happ, Juwan Morgan. Murphy is right in the mix with those guys, IMO. Winston, Cowan, Huerter are some other top players. I'm sure I'm missing some others.

Huerter entered the draft.

Thanks. I thought he had pulled his name out. Apparently not.

One factor not being addressed, how will the rest of the Big Ten look next year?

No Miles Bridges, Jaren Jackson, Big guy from Purdue is gone,

Moritz is leaving Michigan,

I'm sure some will re-load effectively, but who's the best player left in the conference?

is it Jordan Murphy?

Dark horse might be Amir Coffey. Still a lot to prove, but I feel like he could do it.

I agree. Pitino hasn’t shown signs of incompetence, just some growing pains on roster mismanagement and over estimates on some players potential. It feels like he has gotten over those issues and will be a good coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting a combined ~1.2 seasons of play out of Josh Martin, Zach Lofton, Jarvis Johnson, and Kevin Dorsey certainly didn't help, especially considering the latter 3 probably could have been solid role players at worst. DaQuein McNeil seemed like he could have been decent, and Reid Travis would have started the Pitino era off with a bang.

I believe this team will live and die on Washington's play. Loosing Nate was HUGE...replacing him will be tough Road.

I do believe IW can do it and this team will be fun to watch!!

It does seem like a lot of people are overlooking the loss of Nate.

I don't think it is that cut and dried. It is apparent to me that the AD has expressed a lot of confidence in Pitino otherwise Pitino would not have recruited 2 guys that have to sit out this year. I think the tournament certainly sews up his staying for a good while, but I am not so sure that missing the tournament ousts him unless the year is a train wreck. That said- I think we finish in the upper half and make the tournament. This has the potential to be a really good team.

AD's that publicly endorse their coaches doesn't really mean anything. When was the last time an AD bashed the coach before the season even started? It's entirely possible he does have confidence in Pitino but whatever is said publicly is pretty much just lip service.

Some others have long overrated him.

He’s fifth on the all-time scoring list and second all-time in assists, and was the leading scorer on the best Gopher team since Pitino has been here. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he will be missed

AD's that publicly endorse their coaches doesn't really mean anything. When was the last time an AD bashed the coach before the season even started? It's entirely possible he does have confidence in Pitino but whatever is said publicly is pretty much just lip service.
Especially when talking about Mark, the snake, Coyle (Coil?). [emoji216]

I don't think bga is referring to a public endorsement. He's inferring that, because Pitino used 2 of our 3 spring scholarships on guys who cannot play this year, Pitino likely doesn't feel that he is in a "win now or you're fired" situation, and that he has the leeway to take a couple of sit-out transfers which will benefit the program more in the long term than taking some lightly recruited freshmen who at least have the possibility to provide some small on-court benefit in the 2018-19 season.

I do feel Pitino "thinks" he is safe for two years. And he talks to Coyle everyday. So he should know better than we would. He even joked about his hot seat, which also seemed to indicate he feels he has two years. I just hope he is right as I would not trust Mr Coyle at all.
Now, if we can stay healthy and get to the NCAA, then I do believe the analysis of coach Pitino is likely sound. Certainly hoping all around that is how it turns out.

If it was possible to somehow play, I think the 2016-17 team would probably defeat 2018-19, even if this year's version is healthy and IW improved. And as better usually means more talented it's hard for me to agree with Coach Pitino that this will be his most talented team.

I feel like Coyle's endorsements of Pitino feel more genuine than when Claeys won his 8th game here and Coyle told everybody he is our coach going forward. IIRC, that was really his first and only endorsement of Claeys and it just felt like he was very reluctant when he said it. I don't get that vibe from Coyle about Pitino. Could be wrong though.

I feel like Coyle's endorsements of Pitino feel more genuine than when Claeys won his 8th game here and Coyle told everybody he is our coach going forward. IIRC, that was really his first and only endorsement of Claeys and it just felt like he was very reluctant when he said it. I don't get that vibe from Coyle about Pitino. Could be wrong though.
Never trust a coyled up snake! [emoji216]

I can't say either way how genuine his remarks are, but, if Pitino's team doesn't make the post-season this year and he is retained beyond the year, that would be a slap in the face to the fans (after earning only two postseasons in 6 years). Tubby's teams earned 5 postseasons in 6 years. I've accepted the fashion of grading Pitino on a curve vs. Tubby but that attitude can go only so far.

I can't say either way how genuine his remarks are, but, if Pitino's team doesn't make the post-season this year and he is retained beyond the year, that would be a slap in the face to the fans (after earning only two postseasons in 6 years). Tubby's teams earned 5 postseasons in 6 years. I've accepted the fashion of grading Pitino on a curve vs. Tubby but that attitude can go only so far.

Unless the wheels completely fall off on the court next year, or something bad happens off the court, Pitino will be here for at least 2 more seasons.

Unless the wheels completely fall off on the court next year, or something bad happens off the court, Pitino will be here for at least 2 more seasons.

If Pitino misses the tournament this year, that should be it. Heck, unless he makes the round of 32 or wins some big ten hardware, his first six years will have be inarguably worse than the six years that got his predecessor fired. Are our standards now that much lower than they were six years ago?

If Pitino misses the tournament this year, that should be it. Heck, unless he makes the round of 32 or wins some big ten hardware, his first six years will have be inarguably worse than the six years that got his predecessor fired. Are our standards now that much lower than they were six years ago?

I think there are a lot of different ways you can look at it. Was Tubby's overall record better than Pitino's? Yup. But Pitino's best regular season was far and away better than Tubby's best regular season. Everything that could have went wrong last year, did. If not for that they would have likely had just as good if not an even better season than the year before.

Tubby has his share of bad luck as well. He was fired because he was producing mediocre results and his last two recruiting classes were atrocious. He left Pitino nothing at the FR/SO levels. That's vastly different than where Pitino currently is. He continues to recruit well, and this roster is very talented and setup well for the future. Fair or not fair, Pitino is learning on the job, and gets a longer leash. Unlike Tubby who came in as a veteran head coach. If Tubby's roster was anywhere near the shape of Pitino's current roster, he would have never been fired.

I think there are a lot of different ways you can look at it. Was Tubby's overall record better than Pitino's? Yup. But Pitino's best regular season was far and away better than Tubby's best regular season. Everything that could have went wrong last year, did. If not for that they would have likely had just as good if not an even better season than the year before.

Tubby has his share of bad luck as well. He was fired because he was producing mediocre results and his last two recruiting classes were atrocious. He left Pitino nothing at the FR/SO levels. That's vastly different than where Pitino currently is. He continues to recruit well, and this roster is very talented and setup well for the future. Fair or not fair, Pitino is learning on the job, and gets a longer leash. Unlike Tubby who came in as a veteran head coach. If Tubby's roster was anywhere near the shape of Pitino's current roster, he would have never been fired.

Well said!

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

"But Pitino's best regular season was far and away better than Tubby's best regular season. "

"He left Pitino nothing at the FR/SO levels. That's vastly different than where Pitino currently is. He continues to recruit well, and this roster is very talented and setup well for the future. "

Your apologist arguments aren't at all convincing.

1) You judge a coach on his entire tenure, not one year;

2) Actually, the difference between Pitino's best year and Tubby's best year isn't nearly as large as the difference between Pitino's worst year and Tubby's worst year.

3) Yes, the underclassmen left by Tubby were very weak; however, the majority of of the significant personnel from the NIT championship team (including the MVP and two of the three members of the all tournament team) were left by Tubby.

4) Pitino doesn't recruit any better than he should considering the level of the institution and conference and the fact that this is the only D1 program in the state.

I noticed how you qualified it with "regular season." As you well know, the regular season is very important (essentially everything) in college football. In college basketball, the regular season is important insofar as it gets you to the Tournament, ideally with a nice seed. If you win the conference, great, but there is little distinction between 2nd and say, 7th, so long as you make the Tournament. Anyone who would rather finish 4th in the Big Ten and lose in the first round, instead of finishing 7th and winning a Tournament game, is either lying or has an agenda.

Lowering the standard for on the job training with a big ten head coaching job is patently absurd. I eagerly await when only getting to the round of 32 and only making the ncaa tournament in half your seasons becomes a fireable offense again. Pitino needs to do more next year than impress some message board posters with recruiting ratings to keep his job.

Got it.

Things that should determine whether or not a coach keeps his job are:
- Recruiting rankings
- Good freshmen and sophomores
- Age (They get more time if they are young because they have to learn.)

Things that should not factor in:
- Overall wins and losses
- NCAA tournament appearances
- Track record of success

Things that factor in differently depending on who the coach is:
- Bad luck
- Player transfers
- Recruiting misses

Got it.

- Recruiting rankings

- Bad luck
- Player transfers
- Recruiting misses

That seems to be it. And this criteria applies to multiple sports.

That seems to be it. And this criteria applies to multiple sports.

Correct. And it's why we all know that Steve Alford and Sean Miller are superior coaches to Jay Wright. Those actual basketball games and national championships don't mean anything if you can't bring in a top 10 recruiting class.

Got it.

- Recruiting rankings

- Bad luck
- Player transfers
- Recruiting misses

Can I print this post and frame it?

Top Bottom