STrib: Gophers coach Richard Pitino says next team will be most talented

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Pitino, however, sees big things for the upcoming season: “I’ll tell you what: The team we have coming up I think is our most talented team.It’s got our most depth.’’

Pitino pointed to the return of senior Jordan Murphy, whom he said, “will probably go down as one of the best players to ever play at the University of Minnesota,’’ along with the return to health of Coffey, guard Dupree McBrayer and Eric Curry, the maturation of point guard Isaiah Washington, and the addition of graduate transfer Brock Stull from Milwaukee. In addition, incoming freshmen Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur have the coach upbeat.

“Daniel Oturu is one of the best high school seniors in the country, Jarvis Omersa is probably the most athletic kid that I’ve ever coached, and Gabe Kalscheur is just a winner who puts the ball in the basket,’’ Pitino said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ys-next-team-will-be-most-talented/483534771/

Go Gophers!!

Ummm, Richard, what about Max? :rolleyes:

per Randy:

Pitino, however, sees big things for the upcoming season: “I’ll tell you what: The team we have coming up I think is our most talented team.It’s got our most depth.’’

Pitino pointed to the return of senior Jordan Murphy, whom he said, “will probably go down as one of the best players to ever play at the University of Minnesota,’’
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ys-next-team-will-be-most-talented/483534771/

Go Gophers!!

In terms of depth, yeah, it should be his best team. Most quality depth in the frontline for sure but his previous teams here haven't featured a lot of quality depth in the frontline. I'm still not convinced that he can put three guards on the floor as good as Austin H., Andre H., and Mathieu.

I love Murphy but what is Pitino's set for defining the "one of the best ever?" Top 20? Quite possibly. Top 5? No way. Top 10? Probably not.

Kevin McHale, Archie Clark, Lou Hudson, Mychal Thompson, Ray Williams, Bobby Jackson, Trent Tucker, Willie Burton, etc.

Maybe Pitino's isn't counting former gophers who played before he was born!
Also maybe its a record book thing. When a person isn't good enough to go pro early they get 4 years of statistics.

per Randy:

Pitino pointed to the return of senior Jordan Murphy, whom he said, “will probably go down as one of the best players to ever play at the University of Minnesota,’’ along with the return to health of Coffey, guard Dupree McBrayer and Eric Curry, the maturation of point guard Isaiah Washington, and the addition of graduate transfer Brock Stull from Milwaukee. In addition, incoming freshmen Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur have the coach upbeat.

“Daniel Oturu is one of the best high school seniors in the country, Jarvis Omersa is probably the most athletic kid that I’ve ever coached, and Gabe Kalscheur is just a winner who puts the ball in the basket,’’ Pitino said.

Go Gophers!!

By far his best roster. There are not 3 better rosters top to bottom in the conference.

By far his best roster. There are not 3 better rosters top to bottom in the conference.

Hmmmm? Maybe on paper. Freshman are always an unknown. Gabe and Jarvis may not play any significant minutes. I hope they do!!

Coach Pitino agrees with me....better than last years 14th ranked team.

Maybe Pitino's isn't counting former gophers who played before he was born!
Also maybe its a record book thing. When a person isn't good enough to go pro early they get 4 years of statistics.

Not sure if you realize this, but if Murphy performs at last year levels he could be 2nd on the all time scoring career list and 3rd on the all time rebounding, Pitino is exactly correct.

In terms of depth, yeah, it should be his best team. Most quality depth in the frontline for sure but his previous teams here haven't featured a lot of quality depth in the frontline. I'm still not convinced that he can put three guards on the floor as good as Austin H., Andre H., and Mathieu.

I love Murphy but what is Pitino's set for defining the "one of the best ever?" Top 20? Quite possibly. Top 5? No way. Top 10? Probably not.

Kevin McHale, Archie Clark, Lou Hudson, Mychal Thompson, Ray Williams, Bobby Jackson, Trent Tucker, Willie Burton, etc.

He's up there, he's a special player. If the team as a whole wouldn't have fell apart he would have ended up a lot higher on these lists;

Junior Jordan Murphy has put up numbers among the best in the nation halfway through the season, and on Thursday, the Los Angeles Athletic Club has announced its John R. Wooden Award® presented by Wendy’s® Midseason Top 25 on ESPN.com.

Gophers forward Jordan Murphy has moved into second place in the bi-weekly NBC Sports Player of the Year Power Rankings - Dec. '17

All-Big Ten selection (second team – media; third team – coaches) for the second straight year • was named a top-10 candidate for the Karl Malone Award as the nation’s top power forward • set a new single-season school record and led the nation with 24 double-doubles • posted a new school record for rebounds in a season (361), leading the Big Ten and ranking fifth in the nation in that category • led the team and ranked seventh in the conference scoring 16.8 points per game, including 31 double-figure games • also led the team with 32 steals and ranked second with 32 blocks • started every game, the only Gopher to do so • was a three-time Big Ten Player of the Week, just the second Gopher to ever accomplish the feat • scored career-high 35 points with 15 rebounds for double-double

Not sure if you realize this, but if Murphy performs at last year levels he could be 2nd on the all time scoring career list and 3rd on the all time rebounding, Pitino is exactly correct.

Actually, Murph already IS #3 on the rebounding list (908 now) and only currently 48 behind #1 Mychal Thompson. So he will easily end up the Gophers' all-time leading rebounder. As far as scoring, you're right, if he scores like he did this past season, he will end up #2 there.

I'd say you could make a real strong argument that the #1 career rebounder and #2 career scorer should be considered one of our Top 10 of all-time.

“Bells” only play three years? Love Murph although his advantage will be he played 4 years which is not his fault and I am glad he stayed.

Actually, Murph already IS #3 on the rebounding list (908 now) and only currently 48 behind #1 Mychal Thompson. So he will easily end up the Gophers' all-time leading rebounder. As far as scoring, you're right, if he scores like he did this past season, he will end up #2 there.

I'd say you could make a real strong argument that the #1 career rebounder and #2 career scorer should be considered one of our Top 10 of all-time.

100%

I prescribe to the theory that athletes keep getting progressively better with every generation. The best players in each respective sport are the best players ever to play those sports.

If you take LeBron back in time to the early 90s and swap him with MJ on the Bulls, LeBron is better. Mike Trout is better Willie Mays. Tom Brady is better than Joe Montana, and so on.

So, yes, Jordan Murphy probably is one of the best Gophers of all time, if we're talking about ability and not just counting points and comparing different eras (apples to oranges). Plop Murphy opposite Kevin McHale in his heyday with the Gophers, Murphy would eat him alive, and it wouldn't even be close.

Just because this team is more talented than past teams, doesn't mean it will Beverly more successful.

I prescribe to the theory that athletes keep getting progressively better with every generation. The best players in each respective sport are the best players ever to play those sports.

If you take LeBron back in time to the early 90s and swap him with MJ on the Bulls, LeBron is better.

MJ and Lebron are only 22 years apart, a generation is a span of about 30 years...

So your saying if MJ was currently 33 he would be even that much better than LeBronze?

Mike Trout is better Willie Mays.

Huh???? Trout is better than Willie Mays????? You must be smoking some major weed or something.
Mike Trout has played 8 seasons in the Major Leagues. Willie Mays played in 22 season. He would have played in 2 more but was drafted into the Army during the Korean War.

Willie Mays career highlights:
24 All Star Game appearances(tied for 1st all time)
660 career home runs(5th all time, 3rd when retired)
12 Gold Gloves for outfielder(tied for 1st)
1954 Player of the Year
1979 Hall of Fame inductee(94.7% votes received on 1st ballot)
Credited with the most amazing over the shoulder catch and throw by a center fielder during the 1954 World Series against Cleveland Indian's Vic Wertz.

I agree that Trout is a great player and deserves accolades, but lets not compare him to Mays until he plays for about another 10-12 years.

MJ and Lebron are only 22 years apart, a generation is a span of about 30 years...
So your saying if MJ was currently 33 he would be even that much better than LeBronze?

From the movie "Cobb":

LOUIS PRIMA:
With all the great players playing ball right now, how well do you think you would do against today's pitchers?

TY COBB:
Well, I figure against today's pitchers I'd only probably hit about .290

LOUIS PRIMA:
.290? Well that's amazing, because you batted over .400 a... a whole bunch of times. Now tell us all, we'd all like to know, why do you think you'd only hit .290?

TY COBB:
Well, I'm 72 f***ing years old you ignorant son of a bitch.

How did this thread move to the NBA? Just curious. And I don’t mind threads evolving but this is quite a radical change in my humble estimation.

Earth to thread.... earth to thread... over....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huh???? Trout is better than Willie Mays????? You must be smoking some major weed or something.
Mike Trout has played 8 seasons in the Major Leagues. Willie Mays played in 22 season. He would have played in 2 more but was drafted into the Army during the Korean War.

Willie Mays career highlights:
24 All Star Game appearances(tied for 1st all time)
660 career home runs(5th all time, 3rd when retired)
12 Gold Gloves for outfielder(tied for 1st)
1954 Player of the Year
1979 Hall of Fame inductee(94.7% votes received on 1st ballot)
Credited with the most amazing over the shoulder catch and throw by a center fielder during the 1954 World Series against Cleveland Indian's Vic Wertz.

I agree that Trout is a great player and deserves accolades, but lets not compare him to Mays until he plays for about another 10-12 years.

I hate to bring this back up, I really do. But if you put 2018 Mike Trout in the 1954 season, he'd break every record in the book. It's not close. Players in today's day and age are just better than they were back then. That's fact.

I hate to bring this back up, I really do. But if you put 2018 Mike Trout in the 1954 season, he'd break every record in the book. It's not close. Players in today's day and age are just better than they were back then. That's fact.

If you put together the greatest outfield of all time, Mike Trout does not make the list, Babe Ruth does not make the list. It goes - Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Ted Williams. Period. Paragraph.

If you put together the greatest outfield of all time, Mike Trout does not make the list, Babe Ruth does not make the list. It goes - Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Ted Williams. Period. Paragraph.

I’d love to see the numbers of those guys if they faced specialty pitchers coming in throwing 98 with a hard slider instead of the same guy throwing the same junk to get to 135 pitches. It’s impossible to know.

As an example, Ted Williams was borderline mortal against lefty pitching. Williams had 6700 righty plate appearances vs 1900 lefties.

As a random contemporary lefty, Joey Votto has seen 4400 right handed pitcher plate appearances vs 1900 lefty.

That right there is the tip of the iceberg as to why it’s impossible to tell. If Joey Votto got to face Phil Hughes 5 times in a game that was 9-8 but the Twins threw Hughes 8 innings because it was what you did, he may have put up Ted’s numbers. Instead, Votto would’ve faced a ton of tough lefty relievers who have him scouted and are in to throw gas for 20 pitches.

This has gone off the rails, but oh well.

You're right. Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Early Wynn, Warren Spahn, and Robin Roberts were real hacks and didn't have any good stuff.

This thread reminds me of when I'm watching a funny dog video someone sent me and an hour later I'm watching a youtube video on the German invasion of Poland. Like, how the hell did I get here?

If Pitino can get Cobb, Mays, Feller and/or Trout...I’m tell’n ya he’ll have one helluva team!

If you take LeBron back in time to the early 90s and swap him with MJ on the Bulls, LeBron is better. Mike Trout is better Willie Mays. Tom Brady is better than Joe Montana, and so on.

LeBron might be the best NBA player ever. However, even if that is true, it does not follow logically that the current population of NBA players is better than the population of NBA players 20 or 30 years ago. Similarly, even if Tom Brady is the best quarterback of all time, it does not follow that today's quarterbacks, on the whole, are better than the ones 25 years ago. It's a logical fallacy to judge a population by its most outstanding (or even most inferior) examples.

I would say with some confidence that the NBA centers of today are not of the same caliber as the centers that played in the latter eighties and nineties.

Is it likely that we will get to see the new Gophers (sans Oturu) play in any summer leagues locally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it likely that we will get to see the new Gophers (sans Oturu) play in any summer leagues locally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is about comparing current to past generations of MLB and NBA players. Please take this to another thread. ;)

I don't think "fact" means what you think it does.

MLB lowered the mound in 1968 to put more offense into the game.

Top Bottom