All things Gophers in the CFL thread

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Thought I would do a thread on Gophers who are in CFL training camps. Think my info is accurate/ complete:

-Drew Wolitarsky- Winnipeg: Is considered Canadian due to Canadian mother. This is a huge advantage for Drew. Currently #1 on Winnipeg's depth chart. Has a far better football pedigree than most Canadian receivers. Expect big things although he was pretty meh last year.

-Chris Streveler- Winnipeg: Is currently third on depth quart. Bombers have a star in Matt Nicholls as the starter and then zero experience backing him up. Streveler is well positioned to learn, he may be a good fit for the CFL as mobility is huge and lots of QBs have arm issues that are mitigated by the bigger field and good receivers. Kind of surprised he didn't try the NFL (in another position)

-Philip Nelson- Winnipeg: Got cut right before training camp in a move that could interpreted as making room for Streveler. Kind of surprised me, I thought Nelson would get a shot.

Simoni Lawrence- Hamilton: Year and year out a top defensive player in the CFL. Age must be catching up but was solid last year.

Troy Stoudermire- Calgary: Was ok in Winnipeg and then abruptly cut. Will have his work cut out for him in making Canada's best team.

Will try to update periodically.

is that why Streveler didn't play much?

It's an interesting question. Leidner was clearly the team leader and perched atop the QB rotation. Sounds like coaches wanted to change his position/great athlete. Reports out of practice from gopherholers said he had a rubber arm with terrible accuracy. His one shot to start a game we zone read the opposition to death and gave him low percentage third down attempts (sound familiar) to predictable effect? He chose to transfer and played lights out in FCS. Nominated for player of the year. Maybe he'll pan out in the CFL. Interesting he seemingly beat out Mankato Jesus.

It's an interesting question. Leidner was clearly the team leader and perched atop the QB rotation. Sounds like coaches wanted to change his position/great athlete. Reports out of practice from gopherholers said he had a rubber arm with terrible accuracy. His one shot to start a game we zone read the opposition to death and gave him low percentage third down attempts (sound familiar) to predictable effect? He chose to transfer and played lights out in FCS. Nominated for player of the year. Maybe he'll pan out in the CFL. Interesting he seemingly beat out Mankato Jesus.

This same thing occurs with the netminders for Goph hockey for the past 20 years. All things being equal you go with the lockerroom leader.

This same thing occurs with the netminders for Goph hockey for the past 20 years. All things being equal you go with the lockerroom leader.

And, Leidner seemed poised for a breakout senior year in 2016 after peaking statistically and subjectively in 2015. That never came to be for a variety of reasons, particularly as we were missing some pieces to graduation and injury on offense. Still won 9 games. Between Leidner a lock to start in 2016 and being passed over for Croft vs NW as mop up in 2015 the writing was on the billboard.

Streveler does have an awful arm and being 3rd string in the CFL doesn't prove otherwise.

In one of his last games I watched this season they had 40 yards to go and needed a TD with only a few seconds left. He threw two, 35 yard hail marys as neither of them even made it to the goal line.

Streveler does have an awful arm and being 3rd string in the CFL doesn't prove otherwise.

In one of his last games I watched this season they had 40 yards to go and needed a TD with only a few seconds left. He threw two, 35 yard hail marys as neither of them even made it to the goal line.

That’s weird since I saw game highlights with effortless and/or off balance 35-40 yard passes. You know he hurt his shoulder later in the 2017 season?

You think any team is going to bring in a guy that can’t throw it 35 yards? GTFO. Keep digging on Streveler.

Just curious. Was that by design? Was the QB rolling out? Many Hail Mary formations.

That’s weird since I saw game highlights with effortless and/or off balance 35-40 yard passes. You know he hurt his shoulder later in the 2017 season?

You think any team is going to bring in a guy that can’t throw it 35 yards? GTFO. Keep digging on Streveler.

Weird because I live in SD and saw him in person 4 times. I've also watched several full games on TV, not just a couple of highlights. Never have I seen him throw 35-40 yard, effortless, off balance passes. I have nothing against Streveler but it was obvious his arm was poor both at MN and at USD. He could just get away with it at the FCS level.

Weird because I live in SD and saw him in person 4 times. I've also watched several full games on TV, not just a couple of highlights. Never have I seen him throw 35-40 yard, effortless, off balance passes. I have nothing against Streveler but it was obvious his arm was poor both at MN and at USD. He could just get away with it at the FCS level.

Why would Jerry Kill sign a qb who is not able to throw a ball 35 yards?

I mean, it's on video. Just google it. Were you blitzed out of your mind? Are you?

You make some very interesting arguments.

I mean, it's on video. Just google it. Were you blitzed out of your mind? Are you?

You make some very interesting arguments.

Really? Post it then. And I make 'interesting arguments'? For some reason you've been repeatedly arguing about Streveler's arm strength since he left on here. That's just the tip of the iceberg for the dumbest things you argue about over and over again.

The whole lie that Streveler cannot throw the ball 40 yards into the end zone is silly. Does anyone really think that Chris Streveler can't heave the ball 40 yards?

I was such a terrible QB that I became a TE/ LB in a hurry and I am pretty sure I could throw the ball 40 yards. We had JV QBs back in HS that could throw the ball 40 yards in their sleep.

Now I do recall that Teddy. Bridgewater had some trouble getting the ball to end zone from 50 yards or so at times with the Vikings, which was troubling. By contrast I think Aaron Rodgers might have thrown a hail Mary TD from his own 35 yard line at least once. I recall Daunte Culpepper firing it some very long distances as well in desperate late game moments.

The whole lie that Streveler cannot throw the ball 40 yards into the end zone is pretty sad, I guess anything that guy can type to discredit the past regime is OK in his view.

Now I do recall that Teddy. Bridgewater had some trouble getting the ball to end zone from 50 yards or so at times with the Vikings, which was troubling. By contrast I think Aaron Rodgers might have thrown a hail Mary TD from 65 plus yards at least once. I recall Daunte Culpeper firing it some very long distances as well in desperate late game moments.

How is that a lie when I saw it with my own eyes? And how is that discrediting the past regime? Kill was right for choosing Leidner over Streveler because he was a better QB. Just like Claeys was right for choosing Leidner over Croft or Rhoda.

I edited the post to revise my comment about the old staff and Streveler; they were reluctant to remove Leidner for anyone. I think Kill made a big mistake by not letting Streveler throw vs. SJSU (the rain delay game) to show what he could do. Passing the ball would have opened it up for his running game as well. I always viewed the whole idea of putting in a limited "package" for a "wildcat" or a running QB to be a waste of time if there was no intent to fire the ball downfield early to prove it was a threat and open up the running game.

Regardless of what happened in that game you saw, do you really believe that Chris Streveler cannot physically heave a football 40 yards? How does a QB put up big numbers in a very good FCS conference with a "weak" arm?

These numbers look pretty great to me even if the long passes were 5 yard passes with 70 yard runs: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=225778

For reference, here is Chris Streveler in the South Dakota vs Nicholls St. game. He was playing with a hand injury and in the first 6 minutes I saw at least 3 throws for 40+ yards. Guess I'll watch the rest just to make sure it's not a mirage.

Really? Post it then. And I make 'interesting arguments'? For some reason you've been repeatedly arguing about Streveler's arm strength since he left on here. That's just the tip of the iceberg for the dumbest things you argue about over and over again.

I've heard some whoppers regarding this guy. Someone (was it you or Jonny?) argued with me about my statement he's a dynamic runner. Now we hear he can't throw it 35 yards at max effort. It's ludicrous.

Dude had over 4000 yards passing, 32 TD 8 INT, 720 rushing yards in his senior year alone, and that's with missing some time to injury. Obviously there's more to it as far as being an NFL QB or he'd be signed but it's looking like he might get a solid chance to collect a check playing professional football at quarterback which is more than the majority of Div 1 QBs will be able to say.

We'll start off with this one:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwPbk0K6Ja4?start=33" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How about off balance 35 yards in the air

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k1aJGJjwWxA?start=56" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Less than maximum effort

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OxGEc9cdJkQ?start=263" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How about his high school Hudl? 35 yarder in the first 15 seconds.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/1568453/5721ae03c124573b5440c49e' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

well, PE provided video clips of tosses beyond 35 yds. apologies are owed. i'll wait here.

I've heard some whoppers regarding this guy. Someone (was it you or Jonny?) argued with me about my statement he's a dynamic runner. Now we hear he can't throw it 35 yards at max effort. It's ludicrous.

Dude had over 4000 yards passing, 32 TD 8 INT, 720 rushing yards in his senior year alone, and that's with missing some time to injury. Obviously there's more to it as far as being an NFL QB or he'd be signed but it's looking like he might get a solid chance to collect a check playing professional football at quarterback which is more than the majority of Div 1 QBs will be able to say.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwPbk0K6Ja4?start=33" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k1aJGJjwWxA?start=56" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Less than maximum effort

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OxGEc9cdJkQ?start=263" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/1568453/5721ae03c124573b5440c49e' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why are we picking on GopherWeatherGuy? He saw the first 10 seconds of this video:

Good lord, I was considering looking up some highlights last night to repudiate the lies that GWG was putting out there about Streveler, but instead I just posed a link to the game stats.

Someone posted these videos above where Streveler threw a few 40 plus yard lasers (not high hail marys), and it probably took about 30 seconds to find them. So much for the credibility of G.W.G. I am waiting for the public apology.

Streveler looks like Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees on some of these highlights. Weak arm and cannot throw the ball 40 yards, OK.

Less than maximum effort

Thanks for the clips. So you found two throws of ~40-45 yards. And one 'off balance' 35 yard throw, that was floated. Then you had to resort to a high school clip. And by those I'm supposed to be convinced that he has a strong arm? A max of 45 yards is still nothing when you're playing in the top conference in college football or in the NFL.

Those again are highlights, and if you watch an entire game of his, you'll see most of his passes are short for a reason. He has poor mechanics and a weak arm. Most of his balls are thrown 'off balance' with his short side arm delivery because that's just who he is. Oak Street's comparisons to Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are laughable.

I guess I and NFL scouts, along with other major college football programs are just missing the boat on Streveler. They should have just watched a few highlights and decided he's a good QB. Even Leidner got a preseason chance in the NFL, Streveler is getting a chance at a 3rd string CFL job. We know he's very athletic, but I can't imagine why someone with that athleticism and a 'cannon arm' can't make a NFL training camp roster.

Thanks for the clips. So you found two throws of ~40-45 yards. And one 'off balance' 35 yard throw, that was floated. Then you had to resort to a high school clip. And by those I'm supposed to be convinced that he has a strong arm? A max of 45 yards is still nothing when you're playing in the top conference in college football or in the NFL.

Those again are highlights, and if you watch an entire game of his, you'll see most of his passes are short for a reason. He has poor mechanics and a weak arm. Most of his balls are thrown 'off balance' with his short side arm delivery because that's just who he is. Oak Street's comparisons to Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are laughable.

I guess I and NFL scouts, along with other major college football programs are just missing the boat on Streveler. They should have just watched a few highlights and decided he's a good QB. Even Leidner got a preseason chance in the NFL, Streveler is getting a chance at a 3rd string CFL job. We know he's very athletic, but I can't imagine why someone with that athleticism and a 'cannon arm' can't make a NFL training camp roster.

I’m sure there are more videos out there. Your argument was he couldn’t throw it 35 yards which I thoroughly debunked. Everything else in your post is strawman garbage. Your continued insistence he can’t throw or play quarterback after throwing for over 4100 yards, 32 TDS and rushing for 720 more is particularly laughable. Newsflash: most throws are not 35+ yards in the air, at any level. His arm strength is more than sufficient which is plainly obvious.

Leidner got an invite because he’s 6 foot 4 with a strong arm, not because he’s a particularly excellent QB. Plenty of serviceable Divison 1 QBs never get an opportunity beyond college, even in the CFL.

I’m sure there are more videos out there. Your argument was he couldn’t throw it 35 yards which I thoroughly debunked. Everything else in your post is strawman garbage. Your continued insistence he can’t throw or play quarterback after throwing for over 4100 yards, 32 TDS and rushing for 720 more is particularly laughable. Newsflash: most throws are not 35+ yards in the air, at any level. His arm strength is more than sufficient which is plainly obvious.

Leidner got an invite because he’s 6 foot 4 with a strong arm, not because he’s a particularly excellent QB. Plenty of serviceable Divison 1 QBs never get an opportunity beyond college, even in the CFL.

Nothing was debunked and what I said was 100% the truth. Maybe it was because he was having shoulder issues at the end of the season, but he couldn’t throw it 40 yards. I tried finding a full game to prove it but it’s not out there. It’s something that’s obviously not going to show up on highlights.

So you can have your 3 highlights over his entire college football career, I’ll stick to what I saw in person. Which happens to align with what every other talent evaluator says.

Nothing was debunked and what I said was 100% the truth. Maybe it was because he was having shoulder issues at the end of the season, but he couldn’t throw it 40 yards. I tried finding a full game to prove it but it’s not out there. It’s something that’s obviously not going to show up on highlights.

So you can have your 3 highlights over his entire college football career, I’ll stick to what I saw in person. Which happens to align with what every other talent evaluator says.

You’re something. Nothing was debunked? The videos literally show him easily throwing over 45 yards. Get your eyes checked. Believe what you want. I found those highlights literally in the first 4 or 5 videos I viewed, a labor simply to once again disprove an absurd opinion.

Regarding the highlighted, please post all these expert opinions.... Two Division 1 staffs recruited him to play quarterback. He was a finalist for national player of the year. He was recruited by a professional CFL team, as a QB....

Yes, Jerry Kill knew how to pick top notch FCS QBs...he did it so well that it is his BCS epitaph. Leidner>Streveler>Croft - but all of them together couldn't beat a Stave/Bollinger

Top Bottom