All things Gophers in the CFL thread

Nothing was debunked and what I said was 100% the truth. Maybe it was because he was having shoulder issues at the end of the season, but he couldn’t throw it 40 yards. I tried finding a full game to prove it but it’s not out there. It’s something that’s obviously not going to show up on highlights.

So you can have your 3 highlights over his entire college football career, I’ll stick to what I saw in person. Which happens to align with what every other talent evaluator says.

I couldn't sit back and take this any longer.....I was at every game last year except for 2 of them so my frame of reference is larger than yours. There is a lot more to being an effective QB than being able to throw the ball 100mph and 70 yards - if that was the case J'Marcus Russel would have been all world. Streveler can throw the ball far enough. What he has is accuracy and a total command of that offense. Look at what his USD coaches and teammates have said about what he did for that program. And there are plenty of cases where guys for one reason or another didn't get the right opportunity to show what they could do on the field. Kurt Warner from UNI was bagging groceries until he got his opportunity - I can list more of these cases if need be.
If you want to be a Streveler hater, be my guest and you are entitled to your opinion. I just know what I've seen with my 2 eyes and heard with my 2 ears and in my opinion he is one hell of a competitor, leader and QB.

I couldn't sit back and take this any longer.....I was at every game last year except for 2 of them so my frame of reference is larger than yours. There is a lot more to being an effective QB than being able to throw the ball 100mph and 70 yards - if that was the case J'Marcus Russel would have been all world. Streveler can throw the ball far enough. What he has is accuracy and a total command of that offense. Look at what his USD coaches and teammates have said about what he did for that program. And there are plenty of cases where guys for one reason or another didn't get the right opportunity to show what they could do on the field. Kurt Warner from UNI was bagging groceries until he got his opportunity - I can list more of these cases if need be.
If you want to be a Streveler hater, be my guest and you are entitled to your opinion. I just know what I've seen with my 2 eyes and heard with my 2 ears and in my opinion he is one hell of a competitor, leader and QB.

When did I ever knock his competitiveness and leadership? All I ever said was that he has a weak arm and he would have struggled staying in MN at the B1G level. Kurt Warner has twice the arm Streveler does, that's a terrible comparison.

Streveler was a good FCS QB who did do a lot for USD. He got away with a lot at the FCS level that he would have never gotten away with in the B1G. It was easy to see when Kill actually did let him throw a few passes here. Streveler was exactly where he belonged at USD. He's not a B1G or NFL level QB. Not even close.

When did I ever knock his competitiveness and leadership? All I ever said was that he has a weak arm and he would have struggled staying in MN at the B1G level. Kurt Warner has twice the arm Streveler does, that's a terrible comparison.

Streveler was a good FCS QB who did do a lot for USD. He got away with a lot at the FCS level that he would have never gotten away with in the B1G. It was easy to see when Kill actually did let him throw a few passes here. Streveler was exactly where he belonged at USD. He's not a B1G or NFL level QB. Not even close.

We have established the fact that ol country Jerry couldn’t recognize a BCS QB or wasn’t able to attract a big time q.v. with his FCS runrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrun offense. Jerry couldn’t make the leap

Hmm, another pivot. Keep digging this is enjoyable.

Are you going to post all those expert assessments on why Streveler was a terrible quarterback? If you want to discuss pre-draft assessment (and you very, very desperately do) I’ll go first. Then you go, got it?

Big, strong guy with excellent frame and musculature despite only being 6'2" tall.
Fast, quick feet, good ball carrying skills. His feet are a weapon the defense must account for.
Has played wide receiver, tight end, full back, running back. Have to be smart to move all around like that.
Good communication skills. Widely regarded by teammates to be the leader. Has TWO Master's degrees.
Easily the fastest release I've seen in the 2018 draft. His release is so quick, it's a major weapon.
Great natural arm strength that can get even better if he keeps working on consistency in footwork.
Very accurate with the football. Throws players open. Makes decisions about ball trajectory and touch.
Doesn't over-rely on one receiving weapon; efficient chemistry with a dozen different players.
An intangible physicality; absolutely not intimidated by bodies cluttering the pocket. This is a big deal.
Regularly gets through to his third option, can get from one side of the field to the other with timing and accuracy.
Keeps his eyes up while scrambling and can flick the ball on a hair trigger to the open player.
Ran a blazing fast no-huddle, much like Jimmy Garoppolo did at Eastern Illinois. Requires fast information processing.
Took a team that hadn't won more than 6 games in a decade, won 8 games, beat an FBS team, won a playoff game.
Tough. Played with an injured throwing hand for much of 2017. Had to start throwing with a glove.
Throwing Stats: 316 of 481 (66%) for 4,134 yards (8.6 YPA), 31 TDs (6.4%), 8 INTs (1.7%).
Rushing Stats: 168 runs, +870 positive gains, -150 negative gains (sack yardage), 11 TDs.
If I had to really boil it down to what is so attractive with Chris Streveler, it is that he has a lot of intangibles in terms of physicality inside the pocket, leadership, intelligence, and yet he also has tangible qualities in terms of his strength, feet, ball carrying skills, arm strength, and especially that hair trigger release.

With Streveler playing at a perennial loser in the FCS, turning them into a winner, he's not about to be intimidated by the FCS Championship Game runner-up (beating Bo Pellini's Youngstown State), nor by an FBS team (beating Bowling Green). He's going to carry that offense on his back, representing about 71% of the offense's yardage and 66% of its touchdowns. And if he goes down to a better team in the FCS playoffs, he's going to go down swinging, scoring 42 points of offense, accounting for 571 yards and 6 TDs on his own.

If he doesn't have the time in the pocket to operate the offense, then he doesn't have the time in the pocket to operate the offense. There's not much to be done about that. Streveler's offensive line was NOT good. But he's not going to be overwhelmed, regardless. He's going to stand in there, make passes with guys in his face, take hits and pop back up, and even do some things with his feet to buy time and get a pass off. That snap trigger of Streveler's is a real weapon, yet his mechanics are not standard issue. That makes me compare him to a Phil Rivers.

I really think you can do worse than a guy who is a physical specimen, has intangible qualities, the quickest release in the draft, and is intelligent enough to have accumulated two master's degrees by the time he was done with school. Even in the FCS.

Are you going to post all those expert assessments on why Streveler was a terrible quarterback? If you want to discuss pre-draft assessment (and you very, very desperately do) I’ll go first. Then you go, got it?

Big, strong guy with excellent frame and musculature despite only being 6'2" tall.
Fast, quick feet, good ball carrying skills. His feet are a weapon the defense must account for.
Has played wide receiver, tight end, full back, running back. Have to be smart to move all around like that.
Good communication skills. Widely regarded by teammates to be the leader. Has TWO Master's degrees.
Easily the fastest release I've seen in the 2018 draft. His release is so quick, it's a major weapon.
Great natural arm strength that can get even better if he keeps working on consistency in footwork.
Very accurate with the football. Throws players open. Makes decisions about ball trajectory and touch.
Doesn't over-rely on one receiving weapon; efficient chemistry with a dozen different players.
An intangible physicality; absolutely not intimidated by bodies cluttering the pocket. This is a big deal.
Regularly gets through to his third option, can get from one side of the field to the other with timing and accuracy.
Keeps his eyes up while scrambling and can flick the ball on a hair trigger to the open player.
Ran a blazing fast no-huddle, much like Jimmy Garoppolo did at Eastern Illinois. Requires fast information processing.
Took a team that hadn't won more than 6 games in a decade, won 8 games, beat an FBS team, won a playoff game.
Tough. Played with an injured throwing hand for much of 2017. Had to start throwing with a glove.
Throwing Stats: 316 of 481 (66%) for 4,134 yards (8.6 YPA), 31 TDs (6.4%), 8 INTs (1.7%).
Rushing Stats: 168 runs, +870 positive gains, -150 negative gains (sack yardage), 11 TDs.
If I had to really boil it down to what is so attractive with Chris Streveler, it is that he has a lot of intangibles in terms of physicality inside the pocket, leadership, intelligence, and yet he also has tangible qualities in terms of his strength, feet, ball carrying skills, arm strength, and especially that hair trigger release.

With Streveler playing at a perennial loser in the FCS, turning them into a winner, he's not about to be intimidated by the FCS Championship Game runner-up (beating Bo Pellini's Youngstown State), nor by an FBS team (beating Bowling Green). He's going to carry that offense on his back, representing about 71% of the offense's yardage and 66% of its touchdowns. And if he goes down to a better team in the FCS playoffs, he's going to go down swinging, scoring 42 points of offense, accounting for 571 yards and 6 TDs on his own.

If he doesn't have the time in the pocket to operate the offense, then he doesn't have the time in the pocket to operate the offense. There's not much to be done about that. Streveler's offensive line was NOT good. But he's not going to be overwhelmed, regardless. He's going to stand in there, make passes with guys in his face, take hits and pop back up, and even do some things with his feet to buy time and get a pass off. That snap trigger of Streveler's is a real weapon, yet his mechanics are not standard issue. That makes me compare him to a Phil Rivers.

I really think you can do worse than a guy who is a physical specimen, has intangible qualities, the quickest release in the draft, and is intelligent enough to have accumulated two master's degrees by the time he was done with school. Even in the FCS.

the player in the description above was on the gophs but did not play? I didn't go to gopher football games so I never saw Streveler play but this description sounds like Mn may have missed on the next Kurt Warner. If he is the next Kurt Warner then go ahead and put a cover on TCF and make it parking for hockey ( yeah i know i said that before but i want warmer parking in winter).

He’s got wonky footwork, unusual delivery, he’s not that tall, and he didn’t compete at the FBS level. He played with a glove on his throwing hand all season after another hand injury. All that turns off scouts. If he develops into something in the CFL maybe he gets a shot down the road several years. At this point who knows if he makes the final roster for Winnipeg.

This entire argument revolves around the absurd statement he couldn’t throw with accuracy or 35 yards. Beyond being behind an entrenched starter that looked to be on the rise in Leidner who knows how many other factors kept him from playing more. Nobody is saying Kills offensive staff was particularly gifted. Also, nobody is arguing Streveler is the next Kurt Warner or Doug Flutie or Warren Moon. He may continue to develop or he may not. To say he doesn’t have any skills, however, is laughable.

Lol what is this an athlon article? Amazing how this made him sound like a 1st or 2nd round pick, yet he was undrafted and now 3rd stringer in the CFL.

First exhibition game tonight.

Streveler just went 10 for 10 for 140 and 1 td. Ran for a first down. Blue Bomber nation currently has him as the second coming of Doug Flutie.

The presumed second string QB went 1-8 and has no real pedigree so things are looking good for Streveler.

Streveler just went 10 for 10 for 140 and 1 td. Ran for a first down. Blue Bomber nation currently has him as the second coming of Doug Flutie.

Did any throws travel more than 30 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If streveler is any good then Jerry Kill let down gopher fans as much as any coach in the past 130 years. Jerry will have screwed himself and failed us at the highest level.

If streveler is any good then Jerry Kill let down gopher fans as much as any coach in the past 130 years. Jerry will have screwed himself and failed us at the highest level.

Correct! That is showing that the lower level school he transferred too can develop QB’s better than Kill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So strevler only got better cuz he went to usd? 8 yrs of weberleidner has us where we have been for 50 yrs. why no bollinger Wentz here? Why not?

So strevler only got better cuz he went to usd? 8 yrs of weberleidner has us where we have been for 50 yrs. why no bollinger Wentz here? Why not?

I must have missed all the Wisky QBs ripping up the NFL (Wilson being the exception). Not many make it to the top tier of starting in the NFL.

I must have missed all the Wisky QBs ripping up the NFL (Wilson being the exception). Not many make it to the top tier of starting in the NFL.

Pointing out that a big ten team only needs a decent game manager to win a big ten title is not making this easier for me to comprehend.

Pointing out that a big ten team only needs a decent game manager to win a big ten title is not making this easier for me to comprehend.

Dude, after your post at the top of the page you're asking me to clarify? Beyond the carpetbagger Wilson SCSU has had about as much success as Wisconsin putting clipboard holders into the NFL.

Which nfl teams have gopher qbs holding clip boards? I liked Jerry Kill but many posters were right about him - the bring on FCs kids and coach them to play better. This approach doesn’t work in the bcs

Which nfl teams have gopher qbs holding clip boards? I liked Jerry Kill but many posters were right about him - the bring on FCs kids and coach them to play better. This approach doesn’t work in the bcs

By definition MN players were FBS and indeed Power 5, not FCS. Kill and his staff had obvious failings but they returned to the team to a competitive level and they were on a slow rise. Hard to say what would have happened if Kill hadn’t stepped down. Why are you are talking about the BCS in 2018.

Blue Bomber starting QB is out 4-6 weeks. Streveler battling with Ross for the starting gig. Will he beat out the incumbent #2? Season starts next Thurs on ESPN2. I’ve never been more excited for CFL three down football.

Jerry couldn’t recruit players that compete in the p5. I have zero proof that PJ is able to recruit any better than MAC players. If pj fails here comes bobby Petrine or anyone who has succeeded in the p5

Streveler will start Thursday and become the first straight from college QB to start an opening game in 23 years.

https://twitter.com/Ted_Wyman/status/1006252405514698754

For clarity, the Bombers starter is injured and the guy they brought in to be #2 retired right before the season. Still quite a honor. Streveler is the first Gopher QB to start in the CFL since Rickey Foggie.

Streveler will start Thursday and become the first straight from college QB to start an opening game in 23 years.

https://twitter.com/Ted_Wyman/status/1006252405514698754

For clarity, the Bombers starter is injured and the guy they brought in to be #2 retired right before the season. Still quite a honor. Streveler is the first Gopher QB to start in the CFL since Rickey Foggie.

Wow, even as the resident Streveler bobo I didn't think they'd throw him in the fire quite this soon; been there all of 4 weeks...sink or swim. What an opportunity though.

Wow, even as the resident Streveler bobo I didn't think they'd throw him in the fire quite this soon; been there all of 4 weeks...sink or swim. What an opportunity though.

The Offensive coordinator seems to really like him. The current number 2 has 1 year experience as a 3rd string. Threw 12 passes last year.

I love reading GopherWeatherGuy posts. I know it has to be a bit, but it is still great nonetheless.

Top Bottom