ESPN: Jim Harbaugh plans to take Michigan to South Africa in 2019

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan football team are headed to South Africa in 2019.

Harbaugh said in the past that he plans to coordinate an annual expenses-paid trip to a foreign country every year for his team, but had not revealed the next destination on the Wolverines' travel itinerary until Monday morning. The coach said during a radio interview with WTKA-AM that his team was planning to visit Johannesburg and Cape Town, along with going on a safari.

"How about that? How about a safari?" Harbaugh said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Last month, Michigan returned from a teamwide trip to France, where the players and coaches visited Paris and Normandy. A year ago, the team traveled to Italy in the first of what has become an annual excursion.

The trip to Italy was held as the finale to Michigan's spring practice schedule and included three workouts overseas. The team did not practice while in France, spending all of its time sightseeing and doing other team-building activities.

Players aren't required to go on the trips, but their costs are covered if they choose to do so. The trips have been financed thus far by a pair of Michigan donors -- Bobby Kotick and Don Graham.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...gh-take-michigan-wolverines-south-africa-2019

Go Gophers!!

Wolverines more times to South Africa than Indianapolis

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

While Michigan is the only team to do this, shouldn't football have the same limits as other sports when it comes to travel. Basketball is one every five years, and I think volleyball has the same restriction.

Good for them. If they have the money to do it, they should.

It's not paying players, but promising 4-5 extravagant trips that would cost several thousand dollars normally is pretty cool.

Ridiculous. Giving a kid a $50 bill for groceries is impermissible. But, by all means fly them to France and feed them at a Michelin star restaurant at $500 bucks a person.

Ridiculous. Giving a kid a $50 bill for groceries is impermissible. But, by all means fly them to France and feed them at a Michelin star restaurant at $500 bucks a person.

There is always the possibility of a trip to China. Ask the Melo kid and his two friends for advice.

Will Harbaugh still be there? That would be Year 5 at Michigan. This year will be year 4- and he's never stayed anywhere longer than 3. There's always rumors at then end of every season that he's gone too...

per ESPN:

Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan football team are headed to South Africa in 2019.

Harbaugh said in the past that he plans to coordinate an annual expenses-paid trip to a foreign country every year for his team, but had not revealed the next destination on the Wolverines' travel itinerary until Monday morning. The coach said during a radio interview with WTKA-AM that his team was planning to visit Johannesburg and Cape Town, along with going on a safari.

"How about that? How about a safari?" Harbaugh said. "I'm looking forward to it."

Last month, Michigan returned from a teamwide trip to France, where the players and coaches visited Paris and Normandy. A year ago, the team traveled to Italy in the first of what has become an annual excursion.

The trip to Italy was held as the finale to Michigan's spring practice schedule and included three workouts overseas. The team did not practice while in France, spending all of its time sightseeing and doing other team-building activities.

Players aren't required to go on the trips, but their costs are covered if they choose to do so. The trips have been financed thus far by a pair of Michigan donors -- Bobby Kotick and Don Graham.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...gh-take-michigan-wolverines-south-africa-2019

Go Gophers!!
This is great. It's a neat "study abroad" concept that other students get access to, but being a D1 athlete would mostly prohibit due to time constraints. For the experience to be built into the program it's a fantastic perk. It would be great to see others incorporate this model.

Will Harbaugh still be there? That would be Year 5 at Michigan. This year will be year 4- and he's never stayed anywhere longer than 3. There's always rumors at then end of every season that he's gone too...

Didn’t the AD state he’s working on a lifetime contract? I thought I read that somewhere but I may be mistake. Also, it seems these days contract lengths don’t matter anyway.

Didn’t the AD state he’s working on a lifetime contract? I thought I read that somewhere but I may be mistake. Also, it seems these days contract lengths don’t matter anyway.

I think the AD said he wanted Jim to stay forever, but I don't belive they were actually talking about working on a contract.

I think the AD said it, mostly because everyone knows Jim will move on one day back to the NFL and the AD wanted it clear he would do anything he could to keep him (so he doesn't get blamed later when Jim does go).

Are “sleepovers” legal there?

Huh? 4 years at Stanford and 4 at SF.

If he goes 0-2 against a certain two schools again, the AD likely will change his tune about Goofy Jim.

That is a haul. I don’t know how those guys will handle sitting in an airplane seat for 17 hours. I flew to China a decade ago with a connection in Narita and I can sit comfortable in most airline seats but I was miserable. Then we hit some serious turbulence coming into Narita and some people started freaking out. I was considering seeking asylum in Japan just to avoid the flight home.

Top Bottom