Pre-May 30 NBA Draft Deadline B1G Power Rankings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I've moved Gophers up a couple spots to #8 with addition of Brock Stull. Will update May 31 after we know which B1G players stay in the draft. Every team I currently have ahead of Gophers has at least one pending NBA decision:

Michigan State (Nick Ward)
Maryland (Bruno Fernando, Kevin Huerter)
Indiana (Juwan Morgan)
Michigan (Charles Matthews)
Wisconsin (Ethan Happ)
Nebraska (Isaac Copeland, James Palmer Jr.)
Purdue (Nojel Eastern, Carsen Edwards)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A look at B1G player decisions

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nebraska I think has the most to lose if both of their players enter the draft, but I don't see that happening.

Based on this past weekend, wouldn't surprise me if Huerter stayed in the draft. Supposedly really impressed at the combine. I would be really surprised if Edwards and Happ stayed in. I thought I remember reading that Edwards really struggled running an offense one of the days.

Nebraska I think has the most to lose if both of their players enter the draft, but I don't see that happening.

Based on this past weekend, wouldn't surprise me if Huerter stayed in the draft. Supposedly really impressed at the combine. I would be really surprised if Edwards and Happ stayed in. I thought I remember reading that Edwards really struggled running an offense one of the days.

My impression is the 2 Maryland guys are the only ones that realistically might stay in the draft. Like you said, Huerter has been the eye-opener. I think everyone else returns, unless Matthews and/or Ward make stupid decisions.

My impression is the 2 Maryland guys are the only ones that realistically might stay in the draft. Like you said, Huerter has been the eye-opener. I think everyone else returns, unless Matthews and/or Ward make stupid decisions.

Its a sneaky deep draft this year. There isn't room for the current Nick Ward's of the basketball world in the today's NBA. He really needs to develop an outside game.

Its a sneaky deep draft this year. There isn't room for the current Nick Ward's of the basketball world in the today's NBA. He really needs to develop an outside game.

Yep, Ward is a man without a (NBA) position right now. Really good low-post scorer in the college game, but he's too small to be a NBA center, or maybe even a 4. Needs to develop some face-the-basket game.

I agree with most rankings there. I like Minnesota's roster better than Wisconsin's. Have to see the wins this year though.

We actually shot better from 3 than Wisconsin did.

All conference player Happ is great, Davidson and Reuvers have potential. The rest of the roster is pretty underwelming.

Murphy and Coffey should be all conference. Curry and IW have all conference potential. Stull, McBayer, and Oturu should be excellent role players. We just need to put a solid consistent season together.

If everyone returns to college this could really be a bounce back year for the conference! I mean from top to bottom pretty solid teams.

If everyone returns to college this could really be a bounce back year for the conference! I mean from top to bottom pretty solid teams.

I agree. I have Northwestern & Illinois 12 & 13, and I don't think they'll be bad teams at all. Ditto for 10 OSU & 11 Penn State.

I agree. I have Northwestern & Illinois 12 & 13, and I don't think they'll be bad teams at all. Ditto for 10 OSU & 11 Penn State.

I would say the conference would be deeper than last year, but do you think there's an upper echelon that can contend for a national championship?

I would say the conference would be deeper than last year, but do you think there's an upper echelon that can contend for a national championship?

No.

And definitively no if Ward, Huerter, and Fernando all leave early.

No.

And definitively no if Ward, Huerter, and Fernando all leave early.

I agree. I think there's only one upper echelon player in Romeo Langford. There's not a lot of top flight talent or teams this year in the big ten, but it could be deeper overall.

The one team I am intrigued by outside of Minnesota is Purdue. I know they lose 4 starters and their depth wasn't the greatest to begin with last year, but they still have Haarms and some shooting coming back. If Edwards decides to go pro, I would probably drop them beneath Penn St.

The conference will surely have more tournament teams this year. I think 10 wins might be the cutoff point - assuming a normal noncon performance. But I don’t think there are really any contenders there unless the Maryland guys come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would consider 6-10 Jalen Smith, freshmen for Maryland, as an expected upper echelon player. Ranked #13 in the country.

FYI Oturu is up to #35 on 247 rankings.

I think Michigan St., and Maryland should be ranked in top 10, Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska in the top 25.
Assuming everyone returns.

I would consider 6-10 Jalen Smith, freshmen for Maryland, as an expected upper echelon player. Ranked #13 in the country.

FYI Oturu is up to #35 on 247 rankings.

I think Michigan St., and Maryland should be ranked in top 10, Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska in the top 25.
Assuming everyone returns.

This seems about right If things break our way we should have a floor of 6th and then can hopefully move up from there.

Somewhat off topic, I wonder what will happen with Reid Travis. Go pro and do the summer league and see if he can make a roster, if not go G-league or Europe. Or will he end up back at Stanford or grad transfer to a Kentucky type program.

Agreed. Huerter has only a 50/50 chance of improving his draft standing if he returns to school so he might strike while he's still hot. Fernando could still get drafted (albeit maybe 2nd round) based on size and athleticism alone.

Its a sneaky deep draft this year.

I don't know what to think of this draft. Yes, it looks like it could be deep with good, but not great, players. But, one never knows. Who would have thought that Donovan Mitchell would have had as good of a rookie year as he did?

I agree with most rankings there. I like Minnesota's roster better than Wisconsin's. Have to see the wins this year though.

We actually shot better from 3 than Wisconsin did.

All conference player Happ is great, Davidson and Reuvers have potential. The rest of the roster is pretty underwelming.

Murphy and Coffey should be all conference. Curry and IW have all conference potential. Stull, McBayer, and Oturu should be excellent role players. We just need to put a solid consistent season together.

Everyone is undefeated right now and it is Silly season until the arrows start flying. I will take Kobe King, Iverson, Pritzl, Trice on my team any day. Strickland might be the best 300 + rated player I've seen in a while. Wis has a chance to be very good too.

I foresee a deep Big Ten next year that gets the "down year" rap because there's a lack of star power or elite teams. But lots of teams should be good and it stands to be a very competitive and fun season.

Everyone is undefeated right now and it is Silly season until the arrows start flying. I will take Kobe King, Iverson, Pritzl, Trice on my team any day. Strickland might be the best 300 + rated player I've seen in a while. Wis has a chance to be very good too.

Iverson can't shoot, and relying on Pritzl to do anything but shoot is dangerous. Kobe King will probably be a really nice player. I like Trice's game too, but his size limits him a bit. Relying on a player of Strickland's ranking to the extent WI fans are currently is hilarious to me. Net/net, I'll keep the guys on our squad over theirs, thanks.

Am having trouble seeing how we can't compete against anyone in conference. Michigan and MSU lost a lot. What Indiana brings back isn't scary. Maryland does bring back a lot plus good recruits. Nebraska brings back a lot but not great recruiting class. Given IW improves modestly and good health why can't we compete well with these teams? Would feel a lot better if Carr was eligible, of course.

Top Bottom