Thanksgiving Friday

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Bill Moos confirms that #Huskers' two games against Minnesota on the last week of the season in 2020 and 2021 will be on Friday. Then working for it to be Iowa indefinitely, "long after I'm gone."

According to a tweet from Parker Gabriel. Not sure I've seen this out there.

Yeah. I also hope Coyle is fighting for our season ender to be Wisconsin idefinitely too!

Yeah. I also hope Coyle is fighting for our season ender to be Wisconsin idefinitely too!

agreed. I either want to end their magical season or continue ours in perpetuity.

I don't get the fervor over protecting the Nebraska-Iowa "rivalry"

The Iowa campus is closer to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois and equidistant to Purdue, from the Nebraska campus.

Prior to Nebraska joining the B1G, they had played Iowa six times since World War II. Minnesota and Nebraska faced off 23 times over that same time period.

Is Iowa as close as Nebraska is going to get to a traditional rival in the Big Ten? Yeah. But this insistence of it being on the schedule at the end of the year is over the top. Hell, Nebraska and Oklahoma was THE Thanksgiving rivalry and that didn't even survive in the Big 8, it changed to Colorado after a while.

The Iowa campus is closer to Nebraska than any other Big Ten campus so I totally get the fervor over protecting the "rivalry".

Really, I'm ok with the last game for the Gophers being either Wisconsin, Iowa, or Nebraska. Wisconsin's our #1 rival, Iowa was the last game for most of my childhood, and Nebraska's going to be a traditional and competitive rival for the foreseeable future. Plus I grew up in Nebraska and I love the Gophers beating them :cool:

While at a Husker game a few years ago, a number of Neb fans said that they hate Iowa. But Colorado more.

While at a Husker game a few years ago, a number of Neb fans said that they hate Iowa. But Colorado more.

As a little kid in the 80s near Lincoln, I remember when it was ALL about Oklahoma.

The Iowa campus is closer to Nebraska than any other Big Ten campus so I totally get the fervor over protecting the "rivalry".

Looked and got 303 miles from Iowa City to Minneapolis and 304 from Iowa City to Lincoln, NE. TCF is a few miles in from the border, but the distances are virtually the same.

5 hrs and 36 minutes to Minneapolis and 5 hrs and 5 minutes to Lincoln. It takes less time not less distance.

Gonna guess that the Hawkeye fans who are actually driving to the games from Iowa, rather than living in MN or NE, like the Nebraska trip for two reasons, whether they'd say so or not.

1. They like to think that Iowa is a program that's above Minnesota, and right there with Nebraska. Can't argue with the 1st point, the 2nd point?

2. An overnight trip to Lincoln is much cheaper than one to the Twin Cities. Now this seems right on.

Looked and got 303 miles from Iowa City to Minneapolis and 304 from Iowa City to Lincoln, NE. TCF is a few miles in from the border, but the distances are virtually the same.

5 hrs and 36 minutes to Minneapolis and 5 hrs and 5 minutes to Lincoln. It takes less time not less distance.

Gonna guess that the Hawkeye fans who are actually driving to the games from Iowa, rather than living in MN or NE, like the Nebraska trip for two reasons, whether they'd say so or not.

1. They like to think that Iowa is a program that's above Minnesota, and right there with Nebraska. Can't argue with the 1st point, the 2nd point?

2. An overnight trip to Lincoln is much cheaper than one to the Twin Cities. Now this seems right on.

I think what they meant was that Iowa is the closest big ten school to Nebraska. So having a rivalry with them is easier, travel wise, for Nebraska fans.

I think what they meant was that Iowa is the closest big ten school to Nebraska. So having a rivalry with them is easier, travel wise, for Nebraska fans.

Yeah uh...opps. :eek:

Still hold on to how cheap Iowa fans are. ;)

I'm not thrilled with the Gopher/Husker games being on that Friday, but I'm not upset, either. Much prefer that to the Indiana turdfest this year.

My only gripe would be that the MN State HS football championships (aka the Prep Bowl) usually start on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Depending on which teams are playing, I could potentially be more likely to watch a HS game than the Gophers. At the very least, I would be flipping back and forth to try and follow both games. Of course, that all depends on kickoff times for the Gophs, and who's playing in the Prep Bowl.

Don't like the Thanksgiving Friday games. A lot of people still work that day.

My only gripe would be that the MN State HS football championships (aka the Prep Bowl) usually start on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Depending on which teams are playing, I could potentially be more likely to watch a HS game than the Gophers. At the very least, I would be flipping back and forth to try and follow both games. Of course, that all depends on kickoff times for the Gophs, and who's playing in the Prep Bowl.

There are also Prep Bowl games on Saturday.

Friday is usually: 9-man, 2A, 4A, 6A
Saturday is: 1A, 3A, 5A

Top Bottom