Gopher Softball 2019

That seventh inning was huge. Sort of salvaged OKC for the Gophs.

And the second strike to Pertain was a fantastic pitch or a nice little assist to the Huskies by the umpire.

It would not surprise me to see Carlie at short. Ellee will return to the outfield.

3-0 Bama. Would be nice consolation for Florida to lose. And 6-0 now. Barnhill sucks today

Last edited:

It would not surprise me to see Carlie at short. Ellee will return to the outfield.
That would be interesting. She's definitely got the range and arm to play there. And she was one of the team's best hitters at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I'm disappointed the team didn't really show up for the WCWS or start off their games with strong hitting the way I thought they would. If Kammetmeuller had handled the slow roller to start the 7th, then Washington wouldn't have scored runs 4 & 5 & Brandt's hit would have tied it 3-3. Disappointing, too, that the top 3 hitters in the lineup produced no huge hits. I wonder: Is Partain injured? Her bat speed seemed way slow. I desperately wanted the team to come to life with some big innings, the way Alabama is doing on Barnhill.

Still, the Gophers went a long, long way this season and gave tons of excitement. The strong competition at this level will surely show what added strengths they need next year and beyond. Can't wait to see who comes along to fill those spots. I just hope they keep improving, improving, improving. Great season!

Makenna had boot for last month so guessing she can't get a full stride in

A couple of badly timed flight times disallowed me from seeing any of Thursday's game live and all but the first two innings of today's WCWS game. That might actually be a good thing because I tend to get grumpy in losses and not see the forest through the trees.

This season has been about as dramatic as it can get and will go down as a milestone in Gopher lore. Five or six bats needed to be replaced in the lineup going into this year (including a massive bat that bolted teammates weeks before the season) and the Gophs, to their credit, succussfully did that and more. Several early frustratingly-close losses on the road against NCAA host teams taught the Gophs what it takes to compete at a high level, and it probably earned them some respect nationally. It was fun watching several first-time starters grow in to their roles and even more exciting to see some seasoned starters ratchet it up a notch throughout the season. These WCWS losses will teach them even more.

The leadership of Houlihan and Arneson will be missed as well as a strong #2 in Smith, but an extremely strong core is returning. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

The Gophs beating two hot SEC teams at home in post-season proved to the NCAA that northern teams can win too with home cooking. Maybe the reason the SEC won so many regionals at home over the years is because..... they were at home for post-season and non-conference and not necessarily because the SEC is that much better than everyone else. On a side note, I developed a new found respect for Oklahoma this year as they played a ton of road games this year too.

Now.... early next season as soon as season tickets go on sale, someone remind me to get off my butt and purchase early so I can get back into the chairbacks so I'm not relegated to G.A. seats again :)

Last edited:

Wash/Alabama gonna start really late if they actually start it tonight

I
A couple of badly timed flight times disallowed me from seeing any of Thursday's game live and all but the first two innings of today's WCWS game. That might actually be a good thing because I tend to get grumpy in losses and not see the forest through the trees.

This season has been about as dramatic as it can get and will go down as a milestone in Gopher lore. Five or six bats needed to be replaced in the lineup going into this year (including a massive bat that bolted teammates weeks before the season) and the Gophs, to their credit, succussfully did that and more. Several early frustratingly-close losses on the road against NCAA host teams taught the Gophs what it takes to compete at a high level, and it probably earned them some respect nationally. It was fun watching several first-time starters grow in to their roles and even more exciting to see some seasoned starters ratchet it up a notch throughout the season. These WCWS losses will teach them even more.

The leadership of Houlihan and Arneson will be missed as well as a strong #2 in Smith, but an extremely strong core is returning. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

The Gophs beating two hot SEC teams at home in post-season proved to the NCAA that northern teams can win too with home cooking. Maybe the reason the SEC won so many regionals at home over the years is because..... they were at home for post-season and non-conference and not necessarily because the SEC is that much better than everyone else. On a side note, I developed a new found respect for Oklahoma this year as they played a ton of road games this year too.

Now.... early next season as soon as season tickets go on sale, someone remind me to get off my butt and purchase early so I can get back into the chairbacks so I'm not relegated to G.A. seats again :)
I hate to break it to you , but season tickets for next year are sold out. They have started a waiting list. Maybe they will get around to adding some seats

I
I hate to break it to you , but season tickets for next year are sold out. They have started a waiting list. Maybe they will get around to adding some seats

I have season tickets. I just don't want general admission because the sight lines are terrible. There will be openings once next year's renewal period opens up and some don't renew.

I have season tickets. I just don't want general admission because the sight lines are terrible. There will be openings once next year's renewal period opens up and some don't renew.
Good luck. I have been trying to do that with volleyball for the last few year and it hasn’t worked out to well.

Garcia threw 179 pitches-10 inning shutout for UCLA vs WASH
And she hit a 3 run walk off homer in the 10th

Pretty good day's work for the kid-congratulations.

In her public statements, Houlihan is not shying away from giving credit to the coaching staff.

Congratulations for the season. We all wanted more, but this team accomplished a lot. Next year we get Ellie back, some bench player will make great strides and the incoming freshman class could have some good ones. Biggest question mark will be the #2 pitching spot. Will there be a transfer on the horizon or will Carly, Hanna or Rachel step up. Maybe the Canadian. Anyway, as a season ticket holder thank you for something special.

More lineup depth would help. I think a couple of great transfers will be a definite need unless the freshmen are of national caliber. Another strong power hitter and a front-line strikeout pitcher to line up beside Fiser. The Gophers need to win the BIG regular season; there's no sense of Michigan sneaking in every year playing a weak East schedule. We all want the Gophers to keep getting better and better every year.

More lineup depth would help. I think a couple of great transfers will be a definite need unless the freshmen are of national caliber. Another strong power hitter and a front-line strikeout pitcher to line up beside Fiser. The Gophers need to win the BIG regular season; there's no sense of Michigan sneaking in every year playing a weak East schedule. We all want the Gophers to keep getting better and better every year.

I'm hoping West schools are stumping hard for one of 1) division champs...seing how softball is essentially using the football scheduling methodology now, 2) schedule methodology change having the prior year good teams play each other, or 3) championship trophy and AQ going to the tourney winner.

Another season in the books... I was very happy to see the Lady Gophs host and win the Supers, then make the trip to OKC, FINALLY! You'll now likely be expected to win most every game, & even when you face a "better" team, it won't be a shock when you win them, nor will those teams be reluctant to schedule games with you! Not only that, recruiting will be easier for you too!

Ucla did the Pac12 proud. I don't have any hard feelings for the Bruins as they didn't cause the Cats to lose their two games in OKC, perhaps a little help from the HP umpires on a few balls in those loses which lead to walks & ultimately runs, but that can probably be said about any game. AZ played Ucla 4 times this year, they split those 2-2, but the last one AZ lost hurt.

As far as a Pac12 Softball Conference Tourney, AZ, and I believe Ucla and UW as well, are not in favor of one. While conference tourneys have positive sides, there are negative sides to them as well. Having a "lesser" team earn the AQ is not a good thing imho because that can likely (more easily) cause a lower seeding for the regionals/supers which can spell doom for a team that is clearly going anyway. That's the belief of Coach Candrea anyway. Lesser teams want it for a chance to "have an incredible weekend" and get to go, but the better teams don't need them.

Looking forward to next season!

Since the PAC-12 plays a balanced schedule, a tournament doesn't make much sense. For a conference like the BIG10, a tournament makes more sense.

Since the PAC-12 plays a balanced schedule, a tournament doesn't make much sense. For a conference like the BIG10, a tournament makes more sense.

Concur. If we played everyone our conference championship would be enough.

Top Bottom