Gopher Softball 2019

Wonder if there'd be enough notice for the games to get pushed up to tomorrow or if that's only a BYU exception

I would say it's highly unlikely we see any schedule changes, due to the Georgia - Drake game being on ESPN2. If none of the games were televised, they may be more open to adjusting schedule.

In the scenario where not a single game is played this weekend, Minnesota advances.

I would say it's highly unlikely we see any schedule changes, due to the Georgia - Drake game being on ESPN2. If none of the games were televised, they may be more open to adjusting schedule.

In the scenario where not a single game is played this weekend, Minnesota advances.

They could rerun the cornhole 2017 championships and probably draw the same ratings

When saying "I've never paid that much attention" I'm talking about weather delay procedure. I've been a borderline softball junkie for several years. The NCAAs are great and could be a few notches greater with teams outside of the south and west like every other division. This year is headed in the right direction.

Sorry, I was kinda joking and didn't inrtend to question your judgment about the matter. Despite the accuracy of your comments about the weather delay procedure and the improved inclusion of teams outside the west and south this year, I think the NCAA could improve its softball operation by wresting even more control from the SEC and PAC 12.

Sorry, I was kinda joking and didn't inrtend to question your judgment about the matter. Despite the accuracy of your comments about the weather delay procedure and the improved inclusion of teams outside the west and south this year, I think the NCAA could improve its softball operation by wresting even more control from the SEC and PAC 12.

I think, and hope, that this year's seeding was a shot across the bow to teams that play patsy non-conference schedules regardless of conference. Especially the old-school SEC method of playing patsy non-con schedules all at home then relying on the incestuous circle jerk of SEC play to build RPI and get the NCAA regional host. It looks like the committee went out their way to reward teams that challenged themselves in non-conference away from home (Oklahoma, UCLA, Florida, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Kentucky - all landing spots above RPI except Oklahoma) and pushed down teams using the old non-con patsy method (mainly Alabama, Arizona, Louisiana?, and maybe even Georgia which is accustomed to hosting).

I can only hope that's what happend at least. Growing the sport nationally could be a big deal.

I think, and hope, that this year's seeding was a shot across the bow to teams that play patsy non-conference schedules regardless of conference. Especially the old-school SEC method of playing patsy non-con schedules all at home then relying on the incestuous circle jerk of SEC play to build RPI and get the NCAA regional host. It looks like the committee went out their way to reward teams that challenged themselves in non-conference away from home (Oklahoma, UCLA, Florida, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Kentucky - all landing spots above RPI except Oklahoma) and pushed down teams using the old non-con patsy method (mainly Alabama, Arizona, Louisiana?, and maybe even Georgia which is accustomed to hosting).

I can only hope that's what happend at least. Growing the sport nationally could be a big deal.

Seriously Panthadad2? Arizona used the "old non-con patsy method" of scheduling games?

So I guess when Arizona schedules games against Michigan (15 seed) and Florida (5 seed) in Tampa, with Alabama (8 seed), neutral site games with Oklahoma State (13 seed) and Oklahoma (1 seed), and a 3 game series against Florida State (4 seed), and in case you forgot, a home game with Minnesota (a 7 seed). According to you, all of these non-conference games qualify as the "patsy method" of scheduling.

As far as "relying" on each other to build our RPI" (where Ucla, Washington, and Arizona are all in the top 8 seeds, and both Furd and ASU played well this year as well), when we "beat up on each other (UCLA sweeps Washington, Washington sweeps Arizona, and Arizona beats Ucla 2 out of 3 games), our RPI doesn't falter much. Keep in mind the PAC12 record/reputation in the WCWS is unmatched. Yes, Washington has only won it once, but between Ucla & Arizona, we've won close to 20 titles...

and BTW, Arizona's RPI is No. 3, but seeded No. 6, and correctly so, especially given we lost 2 of 3 games against Washington with the winning or tying run at the plate or on base in the bottom of the 7th, and the loss to Oklahoma in the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs was by a single run a day after UCLA beat Oklahoma 7-1. Arizona can play and beat anyone anywhere. Remember last week the Cats beat UCLA 2 of 3 games in Los Angeles.

... and BTW, Arizona is 11-0 in games against other non-seeded teams in the tourney...

Overall, I respectfully disagree with your analysis.

Best of luck overall Gophers, you have a very good team this year... again!

Last edited:

Seriously Panthadad2? Arizona used the "old non-con patsy method" of scheduling games?

So I guess when Arizona schedules games against Michigan (15 seed) and Florida (5 seed) in Tampa, with Alabama (8 seed), neutral site games with Oklahoma State (13 seed) and Oklahoma (1 seed), and a 3 game series against Florida State (4 seed), and in case you forgot, a home game with Minnesota (a 7 seed). According to you, all of these non-conference games qualify as the "patsy method" of scheduling.

As far as "relying" on each other to build our RPI" (where Ucla, Washington, and Arizona are all in the top 8 seeds, and both Furd and ASU played well this year as well), when we "beat up on each other (UCLA sweeps Washington, Washington sweeps Arizona, and Arizona beats Ucla 2 out of 3 games), our RPI doesn't falter much. Keep in mind the PAC12 record/reputation in the WCWS is unmatched. Yes, Washington has only won it once, but between Ucla & Arizona, we've won close to 20 titles...

and BTW, Arizona's RPI is No. 3, but seeded No. 6, and correctly so, especially given we lost 2 of 3 games against Washington with the winning or tying run at the plate or on base in the bottom of the 7th, and the loss to Oklahoma in the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs was by a single run a day after UCLA beat Oklahoma 7-1. Arizona can play and beat anyone anywhere. Remember last week the Cats beat UCLA 2 of 3 games in Los Angeles.

... and BTW, Arizona is 11-0 in games against other non-seeded teams in the tourney...

Good post. Fortunately for us, B1G softball is getting better. It really helped our RPI that Michigan and Northwestern are good teams this year. Great to go 3-2 against them this year and it didn't hurt our RPI one bit. It might have helped.

Yes, lumping Arizona in with the patsy group without explanation was incorrect. The reason I added it, rightfully or not, was the "challenge themselves away from home" speculation. Not a single one of the highly rated non-con games you mentioned above was a true road game. FSU X 3, Alabama, and Minnesota were home games. MI, Florida, OK and OK State were neutral site. The only true road games AZ had in non-con play were against lesser teams in USF, NM State, and Grand Canyon.

UCLA didn't play many true road games either, so maybe I'm off base there too, but they played a lot fewer home games. Whether that played a part in the committee giving a UCLA a better seed and Arizona a worst seed, who the hell knows? It's fun to speculate though.

Watching the Gopher's softball games is greatly enhanced, FOR ME, by the fact there is no replay review of calls and very little arguing of the calls by the players and even the coaches. They just play the game and sometimes the players make mistakes and sometimes the umpires make mistakes but the game just flows on thru.

And, FWIW, my impression is the BigTen umps actually do a pretty good job.

Yes, lumping Arizona in with the patsy group without explanation was incorrect. The reason I added it, rightfully or not, was the "challenge themselves away from home" speculation. Not a single one of the highly rated non-con games you mentioned above was a true road game. FSU X 3, Alabama, and Minnesota were home games. MI, Florida, OK and OK State were neutral site. The only true road games AZ had in non-con play were against lesser teams in USF, NM State, and Grand Canyon.

UCLA didn't play many true road games either, so maybe I'm off base there too, but they played a lot fewer home games. Whether that played a part in the committee giving a UCLA a better seed and Arizona a worst seed, who the hell knows? It's fun to speculate though.

Well, calling the USF Opening Weekend Invitational as a "neutral" site, aside from USF, is by NCAA guidelines correct, but realistically inaccurate. Florida had to travel all of 130 miles from Gainesville whereas Arizona had to travel 2,000 miles. Not only that, it's improbable more than a few softball fans will travel across the country to attend games whereas a car ride for “nearby” fans is no big deal. Just like calling the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton CA where Florida lost 2 games to UCLA a "neutral site" for both is hardly fair either. The Bruin fans had to travel 40 miles from Easton Stadium whereas Florida had to travel 2,400 miles. Because CS Fullerton hosted the event, it’s considered a “neutral site” for both the Bruins & the Gators... again hardly accurate.

As far as the teams that travel far, those are basically “away games” unless both teams have to travel a long ways to get there and thereby not having the benefit of playing in front of their own fans; similar to the game between Michigan and Arizona in Tampa. Let’s not forget teams that play at these “neutral” sites who are in close proximity to each other typically play on those fields every year so they are already familiar with them, which can also be an advantage.

The Gophers travel a lot, such as the trip to USF (Tampa) which included a game against FGCU. You traveled 1,600 miles to play at that “neutral site” against FGCU who was only 140 miles away from Tampa. Was that truly a “neutral site” for FGCU? I don’t think so as FGCU probably had a contingent of fans whereas you may have had handful. Not only that, we all know that USF Softball Stadium was full of Floridians, not Minnesotans.

All that said, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear the committee takes this into account regardless of the NCAA rules regarding home, away, and neutral sites. Now it's time for "both of us" to take care of business on our "earned" home fields. Good luck! I'll be watching your games as well, just not in person!

I hope all games can be played this weekend...

That said, the Gophs need to stay undefeated as play progresses. In the case the tournament can't be completed on time, the highest seed undefeated team gets to advance to super regionals. Go Gophs!

BRN30055CE90350_000828.jpg

Last edited:

This is one of my beefs with college sports: It's more about the TV networks and the fans than it is about the athletes. I do realize, of course, that it's fans and networks that help pay for the sport to begin with, but still, if the teams are here, both first-round games could have been played this afternoon.

Another simple fix, move both games up and let the Gophers have the TV slot

Definitely need to pitch Amber vs Drake/Georgia tomorrow to make sure to be the undefeated team into the final games in case of weather

Sounds like they could try and play 5 games in one day to get it over with. Back to back to back. Is it supposed to rain Monday too?

I hope all games can be played this weekend...

That said, the Gophs need to stay undefeated as play progresses. In the case the tournament can't be completed on time, the highest seed undefeated team gets to advance to super regionals. Go Gophs!

View attachment 6146

I seem to recall that this rule was applied once before but can't remember when. You're right though, just win and move on! This is why being the highest seed in Regional (and Super Regional) games is so important, as well as being/staying in the lead during games. Interesting question though... what if you're the top seed in a Regional however behind in the 6th inning by say 4 runs, and the game can't be completed on time due to weather. Do you still advance by these rules even though you're losing in late innings? Food for thought...

Given the Minnesota Regional is arguably the toughest on paper (with 3 ranked teams) as well as a Drake pitcher who has tossed 5 perfect games this year (since late March, albeit against perhaps "lesser" competition in Bradley, Evansville, Loyola, Indiana State, and Valpo), the Gophs likely won't be "gifted" anything. My guess is your goal up to this point was to host a Regional (& Super Regional). This now is entirely up to you, assuming the umps don't do something to "make the game about themselves" (as I've seen it happen before to Florida, Northwestern, and Arizona).

Looking at your weather it shows a lot of rain with 80-100% tonight, 80% tomorrow, then 70% Sunday dropping to 40% Sunday night. Let's hope your regional gets the weather it needs and games are decided on the field by complete games, not by partial games!

It's supposed to be clear Monday...

Tonight's predicted rain arrival now seems to be getting later and later. It's looking better for getting both games in.

Drake's Newman must have been grooving first pitch strikes. Georgia took advantage. Good game.

Go Gophs!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The players need to adjust, but this umpire is sure hard on left-handed batters with his strike zone.

The players need to adjust, but this umpire is sure hard on left-handed batters with his strike zone.

He's giving a good inch or two outside the actual zone.

You're right; need to adjust. Leddy doesn't throw hard, but her change-up has everybody all fouled up.

Need to figure that out third time though the order.

3rd time through the order, I hope the Gophs sit on the change and put it out of the park. They've been fooled by it so far. The NDSU pitcher rarely throws any other pitches in the strike zone.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fiser is outstanding, so that's a plus for the Gophers. That being said, the gophers (this season) and historically in important past NCAA tournament games have really struggled to generate any offensive production whatsoever against strong opponents. I think their lack of offense is going to come back to haunt them at some point this weekend or next weekend since Minnesota is really only 4 bats deep, although I would LOVE to eat my words on this one.

For example, the Gophers scored 1 run vs Ole Miss and got blanked by Alabama, Arizona, Florida this year. Those are just some big games that come to mind where the offense produced literally nothing. That was also this team's biggest issue against Alabama two years ago in the Regional Final. I think the world of Fiser, but she isn't going to be able to put goose-eggs, or 1/2 run outings across the board every single game, and she might need to for this team to keep moving deep into the tournament.

Our first base coach has been awful. Both earlier errors should have advanced and then didn't get Partain to go she clearly turned

Our first base coach has been awful. Both earlier errors should have advanced and then didn't get Partain to go she clearly turned

Disagree. Both of those runners would have been thrown out like Arneson did last week vs. Michigan. Just my opinion.

The ladies took a ton of pitches tonight. Some were good takes, others not so much. Going to need to be more aggressive on pitches clearly in the zone from here on.

Amber was doing Amber things tonight. Other than a few scattered hits here and there, she was in control like usual.

Keep an eye on the weather gods over the next 24 hours or so.

Well lets take the victory (3-0). Rest of the weekend who knows due to the weather etc. Maybe a little rain on the bats will get them going.

Nice job for the Gophies slogging out a tough game. Box score isn't done yet, but I think there were 14-15 base runners and only 3 runs. I kept on thinking the dam would break but it never did.

I hope tonight's umpire is done at home plate. He was erratically calling mystery strikes on balls clearly in the batters on box, usually on the outside. He lined up inside the catcher which makes it difficult to call the outside edge. He did it for both teams, but NDSU took better advantage of it.

Hoping for some dry weather and healthy players tomorrow for Georgia.

Top Bottom