Gopher Softball 2019

At least it's senior day and home for Maryland maybe they pull off a miracle.

Fiser is pitching down in the zone while Williams is pitching up. With this tailwind, if any of the Gophs tag one of those high heat pitches, it will be over the fence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Houlihan has the best walk up music. Brooks and Dunn.

What a fantastic catch by Carlie Brandt (with no outs) !!!!!

Burns is a fantastic catcher. Smart double up on the dropped 3rd strike.

Gophers need to figure out when down to the 2nd strike, Williams is pitching a change up in full count, or high rise ahead in the count. C'mon, figure it out.

Only caught the seventh inning tonight, but if those three at bats are any indication of how the night went, I'm not surprised they got only one hit. They offered almost nothing very little (if any) resistance in those at bats. And probably lost any chance at the conference title as a result.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Well, that's a downer. Mistakes by the Gophs and some bad luck are the difference in a phenomenal pitching contest. 2 bad base running gaffs for double plays, and a popped up bunt with a runner on 1st with no outs for offensive mistakes. Bad luck with Partain being struck out by an inside pitch inside the batters box at the end of 6 then Fiser not getting the same calls in the 7th with very close pitches. More bad luck with the rain starting and contributing to a wild pitch for the lone score.

This game looked an awful lot like the early season losses vs. good teams...playing tight on offense and making key mistakes.

Oh well. Time to take the next two.

Last edited:

Only caught the seventh inning tonight, but if those three at bats are any indication of how the night went, I'm not surprised they got only one hit. They offered almost nothing very little (if any) resistance in those at bats. And probably lost any chance at the conference title as a result.

I don't think the Gophs had a legitimate a chance to take the regular season title from Michigan given the schedule. This series is all about confidence and post-season positioning for the Gophs.

I don't think the Gophs had a legitimate a chance to take the regular season title from Michigan given the schedule. This series is all about confidence and post-season positioning for the Gophs.
Can't afford to get swept. Need to win the next two to lock up regional host imo. Otherwise, things could really turn.

The only hit got doubled off next play. Rough game

The Gophers coach went online to urge loud, raucous fan support in the stands, but then the team proceeded to do a depressingly effective job of taking a hyped-up home crowd out of the game early on with dumb base running and zero performance at the plate. They seemed to have absolutely no game plan for facing the NW pitcher. I agree that it was remindful of early season losses in which they never came close to scoring.

The only hit got doubled off next play. Rough game

This team has not shown that they can hit good pitching. Another game against a good team and we can't score one run for our pitcher. Geez Fiser pitched a solid game and the defense played really well. The base-running killed us and we can't pop up a bunt. In all reality that probably didn't matter because we could not hit their pitcher.

This team has not shown that they can hit good pitching. Another game against a good team and we can't score one run for our pitcher. Geez Fiser pitched a solid game and the defense played really well. The base-running killed us and we can't pop up a bunt. In all reality that probably didn't matter because we could not hit their pitcher.
Granted, no one hits good pitching. For example, in the other marque matchup AZ with their murderers row batting lineup only scored 1 run on WA at home. It's all about the detail...NW took advantage of an opportunity and the Gophs didn't.

All in all, seemed like a pretty good game. Fiser pitched great, we made some nice defensive plays.

I hope we come back. Taking today's game sure would be nice!

NW pitcher was only a freshman

Kenna Wilkey will start today for Wildcats after Danielle Williams yesterday?
Stats-wise:
I would say Sydney is just slightly better than Wilkey
and Williams is just slightly better than Fiser.

GO GOPHERS!

Last edited:

Can't win conference regular season now, but would assume need to either win both and lose in conf finals or win one and win tournament to keep rpi top 12 and still get screwed. Lost a lot of NC road games to other likely hosts ncaa can use to drop gophers

MaKenna Partain baby :cool:

Hard to keep her off the board. What a big homer and what a beautiful sight!

GO GOPHERS!

MaKenna Partain baby :cool:

Hard to keep her off the board. What a big homer and what a beautiful sight!

GO GOPHERS!
Pretty impressive so far. Three runs against William's, three more against Wilkey.

Pretty impressive so far. Three runs against William's, three more against Wilkey.

The hitters look much more patient at the plate today.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Anybody care for a run rule victory over an undefeated in the conference foe?

Fiser pitching out of the jam in the third was huge. Too bad Sydney walked three in an inning with a three run lead. But great win Gophers :clap:

Anybody care for a run rule victory over an undefeated in the conference foe?

Fiser pitching out of the jam in the third was huge. Too bad Sydney walked three in an inning with a three run lead. But great win Gophers :clap:

Didn't Fiser strike out two in the third, three more in the fourth, and the first two in the fifth -- for seven straight strikeouts? Wow!

Was at daughter's tournament today so didn't make it to the game...finally getting to watch the taped game. First of all, love the ESPN broadcast and the stadium looked impressive in the nice weather. Great looking venue and crowd (although I wish the outfield camera would move a little right so see the pitches better).

Goph batter's finally figured out Williams stuff and lit her up! I was waiting all night last night for that. Then lit up Wilkey too!

Fiser dominant...again. She's so good.

Can't wait for tomorrow's game.

Was at daughter's tournament today so didn't make it to the game...finally getting to watch the taped game. First of all, love the ESPN broadcast and the stadium looked impressive in the nice weather. Great looking venue and crowd (although I wish the outfield camera would move a little right so see the pitches better).

Goph batter's finally figured out Williams stuff and lit her up! I was waiting all night last night for that. Then lit up Wilkey too!

Fiser dominant...again. She's so good.

Can't wait for tomorrow's game.

Should be a good game. The ladies hit the ball today.

Non-Gopher side note here. I was watching the BG10 show on BTN this morning and saw highlights of the Rutgers/MSU softball game at Rutgers. The Rutgers field looks like a mid-level high school field at best. Classic youth sports chainlink fencing all around including backstop, tiny little temporary bleachers on each side, and the press box literally is a folding table on the ground behind the chainlink backstop covered with a tent canopy. That school needs to upgrade its facilities. That's embarrassing for the BG10 to have that.

In this series:
...........................IP....H....R....ER....BB....SO....WP...HBP....AB....NP.....ERA
Amber Fiser.........9.2....2....1.....1......3.....17......1......1.....29....165....0.076
Danielle Williams...9.....6....3.....3......2......14......1......1.....29....129...2.33
Sydney Smith......2.1....1....0.....0......3......3.......0......0.....10.....59.....0
Kenna Wilkey.......2.2....2....5.....3......4......1.......0......0.....10.....51.....9.55

Non-Gopher side note here. I was watching the BG10 show on BTN this morning and saw highlights of the Rutgers/MSU softball game at Rutgers. The Rutgers field looks like a mid-level high school field at best. Classic youth sports chainlink fencing all around including backstop, tiny little temporary bleachers on each side, and the press box literally is a folding table on the ground behind the chainlink backstop covered with a tent canopy. That school needs to upgrade its facilities. That's embarrassing for the BG10 to have that.

I once heard Patrick Reusse, on a radio broadcast, say that the biggest mistake the BIG ten ever made was admitting Rutgers to the conference.

MADDIE! MADDIE! MADDIE!

Let's see if we can inside Williams head right away ;)

Top Bottom