Gopher Softball 2019

That result you suggest would certainly be a huge plus!!! A question about strength of schedule: If you play tons of strong, ranked teams but lose every single game against them, does that count as a plus? Or are all those losses a washout in the eyes of the NCAA? It would seem you'd need to beat at least a few of those ranked teams.

Realistically, will all losses against top 10 teams so far, I think even sniffing a regional hosting ast this point would require beating Florida, Arizona, taking 2 of 3 from Texas and winning a BG10 championship. That's probably not happening.

With that in mind (and getting way ahead of myself), I think we've seen it doesn't matter if a team is a 2, 3 or 4 seed in a regional. What matters is getting hot late in the season, getting lucky with umpires, and finding favorable matchups.

Have to execute better. Up 2-0 in top of 7 with runners on 1 and 2 and no outs... those runners must be advanced. Will probably get away with it this game, but that's a big insurance run we left stranded at second.

Great thing about a Flosports subscription is you get to watch Gopher Sports. Bad thing is they are usually late in broadcasting. Never on time. Today it was almost 1/2 hour before the game came on. So far there is video and nobody announcing the game.

Yep, they have major problems getting the runs across the plate As others stated earlier, it is not just this season, same thing was happening when Groenewegen was here pitching.

I can now see why Fiser starts a lot. Without the bats and/or executing when they are there, we will not be winning that many games. Besides pinch hitting at the plate, the coach might as well play around with the batting lineup too.

Regarding Drake... On the one hand, the top 3 in the order going 0 for 11 with no walks is scary and recipe for disaster. On the other hand, seeing the 4-7 spots in the order going 6 for 11 (including three first-time starters and Arneson who's had a slow start) is promising and shows some potential depth, I hope.

That second game was amazing. Kent state is also a much better team than Drake and has some pretty big wins on ranked teams. Way to hit the ball today.

Have to execute better. Up 2-0 in top of 7 with runners on 1 and 2 and no outs... those runners must be advanced. Will probably get away with it this game, but that's a big insurance run we left stranded at second.

I agree. If the pinch hitter, #11, had sacrifice bunted runners to 2nd & 3rd, the following flyout would have scored a needed run.

Well let’s see what kind of bush league coaching we see today. Everyone gets excited about all the home runs and wins but when they play a ranked team they lose and everyone says well at least they played a rank team. Geez get over your self.

So let’s see, we have a player that leads off hurt in a boot, you have a pitcher that has an arm injury maybe 2 and is forced to pitch, you have a second baseman who last game only hit not play in the field, and you have a seniors not delivering at the plate.

Last edited:

Very tough stretch of pitchers about to begin. Drake's Nicole Newman, Arizona's Taylor McQuillin, and (my pick) James Madison's Megan Good are all on the Top 50 Watch List for National Player of the Year.

Umps standing around home plate. Game about ready to start. Let's see how long it takes to remove the previous game's Box Score in upper left corner of the screen.

Yes and I see another coward move or maybe it shows she can’t handle ranked teams again. Why in the world would you start you best pitcher against Drake. You have got to be kidding me. If az and jmu dot. Start their best then that shows zero respect for our hitters. If you want to be concidered a top dog you have to play and beat the top dogs. If they really don’t throw amber tonight Chaulk it up to ZERO confidence in her against good teams.

Yes and I see another coward move or maybe it shows she can’t handle ranked teams again. Why in the world would you start you best pitcher against Drake. You have got to be kidding me. If az and jmu dot. Start their best then that shows zero respect for our hitters. If you want to be concidered a top dog you have to play and beat the top dogs. If they really don’t throw amber tonight Chaulk it up to ZERO confidence in her against good teams.

I still think you are a troll! :cool: Shoot I have to agree with you here. Take a chance against Drake and try to beat Zona with a fresh Fiser.

Agree with previous posts. Absolutely, do not understand Fiser pitching this game. Do we really have 2 injured pitchers or non-confident Head Coach in her pitching staff?

Why is Brandt playing 2nd and not Partain but yet Partain is DH? Why is Houlihan still batting 2nd in the lineup, if she is struggling at the plate? I thought you need a good lead off batter to get on and the batter behind her should be able to advance her. Maybe that's not the rule of thumb anymore in softball.

Seriously, this Head Coach leaves me with more questions after every game.

Sorry no troll just a softball loving fan with no kids to talk about. I just hate to see stupid stuff. I saw somewhere one of the pitchers had elbow surgery not sure which one. The other one Carlie has arm injuries along with Number 6. I think parents and the AD should be asking what in the world is this crappy coach doing to these young ladies. It is an epidemic here in cal. But stupid seems to win out all the time. Funny how you see nothing but strikeout strikeout but then the pitcher dodges top ranked teams and gets beat when facing them. Look and Indiana last night if you want a model big ten coach to follow.

Sorry no troll just a softball loving fan with no kids to talk about. I just hate to see stupid stuff. I saw somewhere one of the pitchers had elbow surgery not sure which one. The other one Carlie has arm injuries along with Number 6. I think parents and the AD should be asking what in the world is this crappy coach doing to these young ladies. It is an epidemic here in cal. But stupid seems to win out all the time. Funny how you see nothing but strikeout strikeout but then the pitcher dodges top ranked teams and gets beat when facing them. Look and Indiana last night if you want a model big ten coach to follow.
I have talked to several other parents/coaches I know about all the overuse injuries. Is it the single sport athlete or the 10,000 rep mantra that is causing it? I know that coaches know what has worked in the past but at what point do you change your strategy based on injuries?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Oh please. Spare me on the Indiana trolling. Get back to me when they've won anything. They've played a really softball schedule so far with a nice neutral site win over an overrated Georgia team (that's played NOBODY this year) and a win over a decent LSU team that had 5 errors in the game. Indiana can now beat up the Sisters of the Poor for the rest of the non-con. The only other Big Ten coach I want to watch is Hutch.

Kind of like celebrating 13ks over a pathetic team and probably chosing not to pitch your ace again on a top ranked team. Totally totally overrated and always will be. Sickening and i see why there is not respect

Oh please. Spare me on the Indiana trolling. Get back to me when they've won anything. They've played a really softball schedule so far with a nice neutral site win over an overrated Georgia team (that's played NOBODY this year) and a win over a decent LSU team that had 5 errors in the game. Indiana can now beat up the Sisters of the Poor for the rest of the non-con. The only other Big Ten coach I want to watch is Hutch.

What quality wins do we have that are better than LSU and Georgia? I wouldn’t rip on Indiana at this point - they are 16-1 with some quality wins. I don’t agree that their coach is anything special - but they are young and talented. Don’t overlook them in the Big Ten season.

Kind of like celebrating 13ks over a pathetic team and probably chosing not to pitch your ace again on a top ranked team. Totally totally overrated and always will be. Sickening and i see why there is not respect

Question for you troll. Why has Beaubian at Michigan only faced 3 of the 5 top ten teams the Wolverines have faced this year? Is Hutch a coward?

Question for you troll. Why has Beaubian at Michigan only faced 3 of the 5 top ten teams the Wolverines have faced this year? Is Hutch a coward?
The answer is that in reality Fiser is all we have. The coaches make decisions based on that. We look at the roster and see all these pitchers but the only one we can count on is Fiser. It is no fault of the others. Whether they are hurt or just can't pitch at this level is not their fault.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Sounds like everyone is enjoying the softball season so far :D

Sounds like everyone is enjoying the softball season so far :D

Actually, even though one or two super negative nellies (at least one a troll) on the message board make it seem otherwise, I'm enjoying the season quite a bit so far. There a several first-year starters that seem to be coming into their own. Fiser is still improving her art. Adding Brandner to the mix has been a huge win. Did I enjoy the super frustating Alabama games? Hell no. But I think the Gophies learned from that experience.

The answer is that in reality Fiser is all we have. The coaches make decisions based on that. We look at the roster and see all these pitchers but the only one we can count on is Fiser. It is no fault of the others. Whether they are hurt or just can't pitch at this level is not their fault.

Well DAD I am glad your are a gopher fan because you softball IQ is so low it is crazy. Also watching this game and looking at the other ranked games, in your words fiser might be the only kid who can play at this level cuz nobody hits at this level but also she is 0 and 2 when they chose not to hide from the top teams. TT is rolling.

So mr softball no troll here just stating the facts. None of your hitters can play at this level, none they have continued to prove it. So while you jump around clapping about scoring on DRAKE, others are beating ranked teams. And mr IQ looks like the non Fiser pitchers gave up one more run than she did against big scary DRAkE. That was against the number 12 team on their home field with a place full of fans. Stupidest coaching moves to schedule these teams if your not going to play the best. Go find another sport to pretend your a fan of. See ya in the big finals if you make it.

The heart of the batting order is now 13 for 67 (.194 avg) versus the top teams including AZ, AL1, AL2, FSU, TN and MS. I included Partain, Houlihan, Brandner, and a combo of Kemetmueler/DenHartog. Take out the weird FSU game and it's worse. That won't get it done no matter how good the Gopher pitching is.

I'm afraid to check the bottom of the order...probably closer to zero than .100.

At this point, it definitely appears Trachsel massively overreached with this non-conference slate. The team hasn't beaten anyone of any consequence despite having chance after chance. In other words, they're a nice Big 10 team and not much more. Whether it's the pitching getting cuffed around by Florida State or the offense failing to catch up in basically every other game against truly good competition, they aren't getting it done.

I know everybody wants to give them props for showing up and playing hard, but that only goes so far. Right now, they simply aren't good enough. I'm sure they'll continue to win games against bad or mediocre competition and plenty of their contests in the Big 10. But there isn't anything there that leads me to think they're anywhere close to being good enough against truly elite competition. It is what it is.

They might surprise somebody and pull off a win here or there, but right now, it's a case of getting credit for showing up rather than actually finding a way to win games. Anytime they've played one of these "big" games, they've lost.

Nevertheless, they're definitely an NCAA Tournament team imo. I'm just not expecting anything more than that.

Wow with these last 2 posts there is still hope for honest gopher fans. Look when you have a pitcher or coach that wants to duck the big boys and your hitters that jump around and talk about how great they are but can’t find away to win, seems like the ego bus is rolling down the highway. Nobody on this team so far has risen to being a top d1 player. All smoke and mirrors. Hope you make it to the last day of the
B
I
G

Top Bottom