Gopher Softball 2019

It's a tough regional for sure, but as it has been said, it is the NCAA tournament.

The only complaint I would have about the regional is with 2 top 50 teams busing in, why bring in Georgia as the 4th?

It's effectively payment for the high seed.

In some ways, it's almost like a grand experiment. Everyone complains that northern teams can't win because they send us to the SEC...while SEC teams always claim they host and win because they're the best. This flips that script. Kind of reminds me of the two old rich guys in the movie Trading Places betting on the nature vs nurture theme.

The local weather for this coming weekend doesn't look at all promising, from Friday night on.

Believe I read elsewhere that the US Bank Stadium turf is being torn up and replaced over the next few weeks. If so, no backup plan there.

The local weather for this coming weekend doesn't look at all promising, from Friday night on.

It was the same forecast last weekend. We got a little spritz Saturday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting -- or maybe not so interesting -- tidbit: Of the 16 regionals, only the Gophers' has four teams with at least 40 wins.

More fun facts for hosting teams:

Road wins:
Oklahoma 20
Arizona 16
Minnesota/Alabama/Michigan 15
UCLA/Washington/FSU 14
Northwestern 13
Kentucky 12
Florida/Texas/LSU 11
Tennessee 10
Ole Miss 8

Road + Neutral Wins:
Oklahoma 36
Minnesota 31
Washington/Northwestern 30
Alabama 29
Michigan/UCLA 28
Florida 26
Florida State 23
Kentucky 23
Arizona/Tennessee 21
Texas 18
Ole Miss 16
LSU 14

Oklahoma is the true road warrior of the group with Minnesota shortly behind. Oklahoma only played two more home games than Minnesota which is surprising.

It's a tough regional for sure, but as it has been said, it is the NCAA tournament.

The only complaint I would have about the regional is with 2 top 50 teams busing in, why bring in Georgia as the 4th?

As I recall, it was the same setup in the 2014 regional: MN and NDSU plus (I think) Green Bay, from this region. And then they brought in Auburn from the SEC. Now in 2019, about the same: MN, Drake, NDSU from this region, plus Georgia from the SEC.

Drake vs. Georgia Friday, May 17, 2019 - 6:00PM
Minnesota vs. North Dakota St Friday, May 17, 2019 - 8:30PM
Game Three Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 3:00PM
Game Four Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 5:30PM
Game Five Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 8:00PM
Game Six Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 3:00PM
Game 7 If Needed Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 5:30PM

Game Three Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 3:00PM
Game Four Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 5:30PM
Game Five Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 8:00PM
Game Six Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 3:00PM
Game 7 If Needed Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 5:30PM

I'm assuming you've listed the home team last. How do they decide who gets to bat as the home team?

You ordered from the old site, new site doesn’t have softball yet. Yes, $10 seems high. It is the cost of big business.

$10 order fee is absurd from new Gophers site

Most of these online registration/ticket sales websites charge the host $3-$5 per transaction plus a percentage of sales usually about 3%-5%. That $10 surcharge to the customer for online ordering makes sense. One could go to the ticket office and not pay the surcharge probably.

Pretty sure Game 6 is the losers bracket home, game 7 flips

So are Georgia and NDS really the home teams for the opening games?

Seems like we've earned the right to have last at bat.

Are you able to walk up and buy tickets the day of the game?

Ticket office said this morning they are sold out, even for standing room. You might be able to find a scalper, but it's not a Vikings or Twins game.

Check back Friday on the tickets. The other 3 schools might turn some of them back in.

Or call the ticket offices at other schools and buy them through them if they have any. I've done that before for hockey and it worked slick. That might give you a better shot than waiting for them to turn them back in.

Slight editorial comment on my part, but it's been really cool to see Maddie Houlihan getting interviewed so much over the past few days.

Always really fond of Maddie as a player, but she's proven to be quite a voice and leader for the program. Even after Allister left following 2017, I remember Maddie tweeting (paraphrasing), "don't worry Gopher fans, we're still here and ready to kick butt" or something to that effect. Definitely put a smile on my face at the time considering the kick in the teeth first from the NCAA and then from the head coach leaving within days afterwards.

Anyway, it's got to be so rewarding for her (and the rest of the team) to be at home this weekend. Nice cap on a career filled with wins, trophies and NCAA Tourneys.

Regardless of the outcome in this regional, it's fair to say Maddie will always be remembered most fondly by Gopher softball fans :D:D:D

Slight editorial comment on my part, but it's been really cool to see Maddie Houlihan getting interviewed so much over the past few days.

Always really fond of Maddie as a player, but she's proven to be quite a voice and leader for the program. Even after Allister left following 2017, I remember Maddie tweeting (paraphrasing), "don't worry Gopher fans, we're still here and ready to kick butt" or something to that effect. Definitely put a smile on my face at the time considering the kick in the teeth first from the NCAA and then from the head coach leaving within days afterwards.

Anyway, it's got to be so rewarding for her (and the rest of the team) to be at home this weekend. Nice cap on a career filled with wins, trophies and NCAA Tourneys.

Regardless of the outcome in this regional, it's fair to say Maddie will always be remembered most fondly by Gopher softball fans :D:D:D

Nice post. I am on record here more than once expressing my fondness for Maddie :D In addition to her quality play there is something about the earnestness and determination with which she goes abut her business that is just very appealing. And nobody flashes the 'safe' sign on close plays quite like Maddie; we got to see it again last weekend :p

GO GOPHERS!

I know it's May in the Upper Midwest and the forecast can change hourly, but the forecast now says 100% rain for all day Sat. and 90% for Sun. I'm curious if the regional times are locked in because of TV, if they could move it up a day, or if it can get extended to say Monday. I've never paid that much attention in the past.

I know it's May in the Upper Midwest and the forecast can change hourly, but the forecast now says 100% rain for all day Sat. and 90% for Sun. I'm curious if the regional times are locked in because of TV, if they could move it up a day, or if it can get extended to say Monday. I've never paid that much attention in the past.

Saying "I've never paid that much attention" would put a person in about the same boat as the NCAA committee(s) that arrange it all, if their seeding habits are any indication. In the case of rain, they might just flip a coin to decide a winner (only partly joking). It appears the NCAA softball people don't really know what they're doing ---- or don't really care a whole lot how it gets done, just get it done and let the chips fall where they might. But in all honesty I don't see any need for anybody to shed crocodile tears for Alabama.

Saying "I've never paid that much attention" would put a person in about the same boat as the NCAA committee(s) that arrange it all, if their seeding habits are any indication. In the case of rain, they might just flip a coin to decide a winner (only partly joking). It appears the NCAA softball people don't really know what they're doing ---- or don't really care a whole lot how it gets done, just get it done and let the chips fall where they might. But in all honesty I don't see any need for anybody to shed crocodile tears for Alabama.

When saying "I've never paid that much attention" I'm talking about weather delay procedure. I've been a borderline softball junkie for several years. The NCAAs are great and could be a few notches greater with teams outside of the south and west like every other division. This year is headed in the right direction.

Nice post. I am on record here more than once expressing my fondness for Maddie :D In addition to her quality play there is something about the earnestness and determination with which she goes abut her business that is just very appealing. And nobody flashes the 'safe' sign on close plays quite like Maddie; we got to see it again last weekend [emoji14]

GO GOPHERS!
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Wonder if there'd be enough notice for the games to get pushed up to tomorrow or if that's only a BYU exception

Top Bottom