Gopher Softball 2019

Minnesota the 7th overall seed. Open againist North Dakota State. Drake and Georgia also in this regional.

Our strength of schedule took care of us this year.

Not to be too cynical, but maybe this was partially a make-up call for the NCAA's screw-up two years ago.
Wouldn't be at all surprised if that was at least partially the case. They got crucified for that decision in 2017 and I'd bet there was some level discussion about that year.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Not to be too cynical, but maybe this was partially a make-up call for the NCAA's screw-up two years ago.

No doubt. Plus, the committee's supposed reason for the screwing was Minnesota's weak non-conference schedule...so Minnesota responded by playing the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.

ESPN's choosing to air the game vs. Northwestern last week seemed like a sign there might be interest from the "powers that be".

Drake pitcher has 5 perfect games this year, that's going to be a tough matchup

Drake pitcher has 5 perfect games this year, that's going to be a tough matchup

The ladies have already defeated Drake twice this year. But I agree. Postseason means you throw out those games and start fresh. And Newman is very very good.

No doubt. Plus, the committee's supposed reason for the screwing was Minnesota's weak non-conference schedule...so Minnesota responded by playing the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.

ESPN's choosing to air the game vs. Northwestern last week seemed like a sign there might be interest from the "powers that be".

You cannot possibly be implying that ESPN may have some influence over the objective decisions of the committee are you? Say it isn’t so! It’s about reporting what’s going on for that giant of objective journalism!

Funny thing is Bama fans are bitching about their seed but it was them who had the cupcake NC schedule this year.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

You cannot possibly be implying that ESPN may have some influence over the objective decisions of the committee are you? Say it isn’t so! It’s about reporting what’s going on for that giant of objective journalism!

A little less conspiratorial than that (only a little). ESPN goes after eyeballs and dollars and chose to air last week's game on their flagship channel. They have the hard data and, who knows, may have had the inside track from committee members who they were considering.

The ladies have already defeated Drake twice this year. But I agree. Postseason means you throw out those games and start fresh. And Newman is very very good.
Fiser 13 k 1 run first game, 12 k 1 hit shutout, Newman 4 K 4 run first game so that's promising if they couldn't hit fiser at all

Funny thing is Bama fans are bitching about their seed but it was them who had the cupcake NC schedule this year.

With LSU at 10 and Ole Miss at 11, the committee might have originally had Alabama at 6 or 7 like everyone thought then moved them up so they wouldn't have to face another SEC team in the Supers. The fact that Minnesota was the beneficiary probably made that move easier.

So we are the #7 seed and we get two top 25 teams in our regional. Northwestern is #16 and gets no top 25 teams or teams that even got votes. Michigan gets one top 25 team. Of the top three
Big Ten Teams the highest seeded MN got the toughest regional. Georgia was in the World Series last year. Why is everyone so excited? It’s great to be home, but the NCAA did us no favors. Northwestern has a cakewalk to the Super Regionals.

Last edited:

So we are the #7 seed and we get two top 25 teams in our regional. Northwestern is #16 and gets no top 25 teams or teams that even got votes. Michigan gets one top 25 team. Of the top three
Big Ten Teams the highest seeded MN got the toughest regional. Georgia was in the World Series last year. Why is everyone so excited? It’s great to be home, but the NCAA did us no favors. Northwestern has a cakewalk to the Super Regionals.

You're absolutely correct. We should all be sulking. This sucks! Good lord...:rolleyes:

The NCAA website also states we have one of the most difficult regionals and that anyone of the four could win it. That can’t be said of the other regionals. I would argue ours is the toughest. Yes we can be excited we are the #7 seed, and what I’m saying is we shouldn’t be so excited with the teams placed in our regional as the #7 seed.

The NCAA website also states we have one of the most difficult regionals and that anyone of the four could win it. That can’t be said of the other regionals. I would argue ours is the toughest. Yes we can be excited we are the #7 seed, and what I’m saying is we shouldn’t be so excited with the teams placed in our regional as the #7 seed.

Of course it's a tough regional! No one is even disputing that. And it's to be expected. This is the NCAA Tournament for cripes sake and there are plenty of other regionals are also extremely difficult.

The bigger point here is that the team set out with an expressed goal of hosting a regional. They talked about it openly at the start of the season. They scheduled the stiffest non-conference slate in the nation, beat multiple top 25 teams and achieved their goal of hosting. So, yeah, you might forgive both us and the team if we're/theyre excited about achieving their over-arching goal for the season.

If you want to show up late to the party and tell everyone to calm down, that's of course your prerogative. There is plenty of time to worry about the regional itself. For now, let the ladies enjoy being home for the regionals for the first time since 2014.

Got my tickets ordered. Season ticket holders and gopher loyalty point holders should check gopher sports.com for info.

So happy for these young ladies. And a big "I told you so" to everyone who panicked after that loss to Michigan. I still had them at 8.

Go Gophers!!!

Smith or Fiser against NDSU?

Got my tickets ordered. Season ticket holders and gopher loyalty point holders should check gopher sports.com for info.

I got an email from the ticket office with a link to buy within minutes of the announcement. They were on it.

So happy for these young ladies. And a big "I told you so" to everyone who panicked after that loss to Michigan. I still had them at 8.

Go Gophers!!!

Smith or Fiser against NDSU?
That is because you are smarter than the internet experts.

This will easily be the the marquee regional this weekend. Great opportunity to showcase Minnesota softball.

To be the best, you gotta beat the best. Enjoy the moment. Great job Lady Gophers and best of luck. Ski-U-Mah!

tix

I am hoping it is sold out before the tickets go to single session. This program just keeps getting better and better and I would like to see the U figure out a way to add more permanent seats. When the do have a regional, 2014 and this year, they add extra seating. Figure it out and make some of those permanent. The Iowa and NW Sunday games were sold out in advance. Tried to get tickets for those ahead of time and could not.

It's a tough regional for sure, but as it has been said, it is the NCAA tournament.

The only complaint I would have about the regional is with 2 top 50 teams busing in, why bring in Georgia as the 4th?

Top Bottom