Gopher Softball 2019

Really fun game to watch with the Gopher bats heating up! After all the previous years controversies it feels great for us to be hosting in the supers.

Was on the road all day, so I didn't get a chance to see even one pitch.

But I did check my twitter account, and when I saw the score at 7-0, my reaction was: :eek:

Obviously thrilled for coach Trachsel and her team!!! I've had my doubts at times (as I have stated), but you don't blow out a quality team like Georgia in a Regional title game if you're not oozing confidence and showcasing big time ability! :clap:

Congrats ladies! On to Supers!

Congrats to Arizona as well, my second favorite D1 team. Jessie Harper was about as hot as a hitter can get. Good luck vs Ole Miss, a sneaky tough team.

I am also a U of A fan. While I couldn’t make it to the games here, my nephew was at the Cats games, and will probably be at the Supers (at least that was the plan as if Mother’s Day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall exactly when, but I became a Gopher fan years ago from a questionable ruling/call in an important game. The general consensus from the Gophs was one of, "yes it was a bad call, and yes we certainly benefited from it". It was refreshing to see another team with those types of responses instead of the typical, "We're a great team and we did a great job" totally ignoring the fact that a bad call was a part of the reason for moving on. It was a total class act!

While that is certainly part of the game, having the honor and integrity to stand up and acknowledge something like that and then go on to praise the other team doesn't always happen.

LSU is a very beatable team, and yes I agree that Ole Miss is "Sneaky tough". If we all play to our "averages" we'll move on however.

As much as we all want to move on, I also felt for Auburn who had lost their best pitcher and ace Makayla Martin to a broken bone in her hand in late March. It was supposed to be for only a few weeks initially, however here it was in mid-May and she was still not released to play in the Regionals. Then in the first game in Tucson Friday, Ashlee Swindle gets hit in the forehead with a line drive giving her a concussion & knocking her out of the Regionals too. While Lexie and Chardonnay are very good pitchers for Auburn, they just weren't enough against the Cats who finally "woke up" with their bats yesterday.

Here's to staying healthy and for now getting two more wins!

Weather was perfect. Was it KK10 who scored or Arneson on that hotbox? Didn't look intentional to me. Great to see the ladies hit the ball.

Seemed intentional. Georgia screwed up having 3B chase R2 backwards not seeing home, needed SS to chase forward. Pretty sloppy game from them for an SEC juggernaut

I don't recall exactly when, but I became a Gopher fan years ago from a questionable ruling/call in an important game. The general consensus from the Gophs was one of, "yes it was a bad call, and yes we certainly benefited from it". It was refreshing to see another team with those types of responses instead of the typical, "We're a great team and we did a great job" totally ignoring the fact that a bad call was a part of the reason for moving on. It was a total class act!

While that is certainly part of the game, having the honor and integrity to stand up and acknowledge something like that and then go on to praise the other team doesn't always happen.

LSU is a very beatable team, and yes I agree that Ole Miss is "Sneaky tough". If we all play to our "averages" we'll move on however.

As much as we all want to move on, I also felt for Auburn who had lost their best pitcher and ace Makayla Martin to a broken bone in her hand in late March. It was supposed to be for only a few weeks initially, however here it was in mid-May and she was still not released to play in the Regionals. Then in the first game in Tucson Friday, Ashlee Swindle gets hit in the forehead with a line drive giving her a concussion & knocking her out of the Regionals too. While Lexie and Chardonnay are very good pitchers for Auburn, they just weren't enough against the Cats who finally "woke up" with their bats yesterday.

Here's to staying healthy and for now getting two more wins!

Appreciate the kind words. Got a chance to spend some time in Tucson two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. We were even close enough to the U of A campus that had the Gophers been in town, I probably could have trekked over to check out the game.

I was a Wildcat fan before that from afar, but having actually visited Tucson kind of cemented it for me.

Anyway, the ladies have always seemed to carry themselves with class. Just a hallmark of the program I guess, but a welcome one!

Like you, I feel good both squads' chances of moving on to OKC next weekend. As a Minnesota sports fan, I'm naturally inclined to expect the worst, so I always hedge my bets. But with how the ladies performed late in the first game against Georgia and throughout today, it looks like they've turned a corner.

Good luck to the Wildcats next weekend! Hope to meet up in OKC in a couple of weeks! ;)

Also have been critical of Traschel in the past. That being said, she has really done a lot to change the girls attitudes in the clubhouse towards her. They have really started to buy in as the season has gone along and she has gained respect throughout the program even as her coaching style is strict and intense. She has started playing to the fans well in addition, which only helps her cause.

Fiser is an absolute gem. DenHartog, Brandner, and Kenna Partain keep coming up with timely hits and have really put the offense on their backs. To be nitpicky, Houlihan has to start getting the bat going down the stretch here if the Gophers are going to continue to score runs against LSU among tougher opponents the Gophers will have to get through. A bit of a rough weekend for her going 0-8 in Regionals, but nevertheless she is one of the premier leaders of the team and I do believe she'll step up when it matters most! She's one of the best to ever come through this program and I have confidence in her to bounce back and get hot down the stretch.

...Houlihan has to start getting the bat going down the stretch here if the Gophers are going to continue to score runs against LSU among tougher opponents the Gophers will have to get through. A bit of a rough weekend for her going 0-8 in Regionals....

I'll just add some color because high level batting average stats don't tell the whole picture for a complete player like Maddie. She had 2 successful sac bunts (getting Partain in scoring position), a sac fly RBI, walk, and at least two reaches-on-error (she puts pressure on defense) where at least one resulted in a run. That's at least 6 productive plate appearances out of 12 by my count. She'll come through...always does.

Last edited:

Also have been critical of Traschel in the past. That being said, she has really done a lot to change the girls attitudes in the clubhouse towards her. They have really started to buy in as the season has gone along and she has gained respect throughout the program even as her coaching style is strict and intense. She has started playing to the fans well in addition, which only helps her cause.

Trachsel is bat-**** crazy. Winning cures a lot of ills. I am not a fan of how Jamie treats the players. Again, winning cures a lot of ills. I am a Gopher fan and I am beyond happy that they are hosting a super.

I just finished watching the game, so I'm late to the party, but GO GOPHERS! Awesome performance!

Trachsel is bat-**** crazy. Winning cures a lot of ills. I am not a fan of how Jamie treats the players. Again, winning cures a lot of ills. I am a Gopher fan and I am beyond happy that they are hosting a super.

C'mon man. Again? State your agenda already instead of taking constant potshots behind a keyboard. Pathetic.

I thought that the ladies hit the ball well today. I am glad we stayed on the winners side and didn't play any extra games. I think we can beat anyone in a 3 game series with Fiser pitching. Next weekend will be fun.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Carlie's been best hitter last few weeks, really could move her up to 7 or 8

Partain looked a lot healthier this weekend, especially today. What she has been able to do with multiple injuries has been nothing short of incredible. Props, Makenna!

Anybody hear anything on tickets for LSU yet? Few of the regulars said they're adding risers across whole outfield

Parking is an absolute disaster with graduations too

I always drive over by the Franklin Avenue Bridge and park there, then I bicycle to the Softball stadium. A simple and easy solution to the parking problem.

If Lindner's hot box situation was a called play, it was kinda ingenious, but at the same time it took the bat out of Partain's hands. She's the very hitter you want at the plate with runners on base.

Great game today. Can't help but think about this team's offense had Lindaman not left for Florida. Oh well, let's just keep this going.

Last edited:

Amidst all the accolades, almost unnoticed were major contributions made by the Gophers bench in the regional. Taylor Chell got hit by a pitch, moving the tying run into scoring position in the bottom of the seventh of the first Georgia game, and Anne Miller came up with a big bases loaded two-run single in the second Georgia game. Key plays from both of them.

If Lindner's hot box situation was a called play, it was kinda ingenious, but at the same time it took the bat out of Partain's hands. She's the very hitter you want at the plate with runners on base.

Partain was on first. Houlihan was batting.

C'mon man. Again? State your agenda already instead of taking constant potshots behind a keyboard. Pathetic.
I think the agenda is actually pretty clear. As long as the team we wins, the poster in question will "tolerate" Jamie's presence as coach. If, God forbid, the team ever begins to struggle, it'll be all evil Jamie's fault and we'll be treated to more "she needs to go" chatter. Pretty straightforward.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I think the agenda is actually pretty clear. As long as the team we wins, the poster in question will "tolerate" Jamie's presence as coach. If, God forbid, the team ever begins to struggle, it'll be all evil Jamie's fault and we'll be treated to more "she needs to go" chatter. Pretty straightforward.

Just like every other sport?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Pretty much.

Meg Ryan left out the part about Trachsel being bat**** crazy in the Strib piece this morning.
But we got to read it here at GopherHole the day after one of the biggest wins in program history, lucky us!

players

Great game today. Can't help but think about this team's offense had Lindaman not left for Florida. Oh well, let's just keep this going.

Lindaman left and is not coming back. Lets put this in the rear view mirror. Ellie Jensen is the one we are missing from the lineup. Hit 400 last year as a freshman and was hitting over 330 this year before she went out with the injury. Injuries happen, but would love to have her in the lineup. Everyone seems to be stepping up and the right time and the team looks great. Team chemistry seems to be great. Lets just sit back as fans and enjoy this ride. It sure is fun. I have my seats again this weekend in section 6. Can't wait to get it started.

Lindaman left and is not coming back. Lets put this in the rear view mirror. Ellie Jensen is the one we are missing from the lineup. Hit 400 last year as a freshman and was hitting over 330 this year before she went out with the injury. Injuries happen, but would love to have her in the lineup. Everyone seems to be stepping up and the right time and the team looks great. Team chemistry seems to be great. Lets just sit back as fans and enjoy this ride. It sure is fun. I have my seats again this weekend in section 6. Can't wait to get it started.

Ellee is about a 230 point upgrade over Lindner too. She's 13 games played out of 56 games played, if we can win regional in 2 that'd give her 2 to play in WCWS if they're trying to stay at/under 25% for a medical redshirt without needing a waiver

They're probably putting outfield risers across the whole fence for LSU. Didn't go out there last series but hope they will be a bit taller and more people there. Just need to contact local high schools and see who has 4-5 row choir risers.

Ellie

Ellee is about a 230 point upgrade over Lindner too. She's 13 games played out of 56 games played, if we can win regional in 2 that'd give her 2 to play in WCWS if they're trying to stay at/under 25% for a medical redshirt without needing a waiver

She just got the boot off of her foot last week. Since speed is a big part of her game, I would be surprised if she plays theses next few weeks.

Top Bottom