Gopher Softball 2019

https://www.mndaily.com/article/201...issed-a-stride-in-first-season-with-minnesota

From the Daily:
First baseman Hope Brandner is producing for the Gophers in her first season with Minnesota.

After spending the 2018 season with Oregon State, Brandner leads the Gophers with 26 RBIs and has hit six home runs. Her batting average is .343, which is second-best on the team.

Last season, Brandner led the Beavers with 12 home runs, 36 RBIs and a batting average of .299. She was named to the Pac-12 All-Conference Third Team and the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team.

Brandner said her new teammates have been welcoming her throughout the transition.

"Everyone was extremely kind to me," Brandner said. "Everybody was getting to know me. I was getting to know everybody else. I came out and started practicing and everybody was there to support me. It was pretty easy."

WOW!!! I do not understand the repetitive lack of offense because of poor execution from this team. Are these players swinging at their own free will or does the Head Coach have a lot of say in their At Bats?

Sydney pitched a great game and once again, when one team scores, the other comes right back and scores. Lack of confidence? Lack of concentration/focus? Can anybody explain why that happens a lot in games?

To me, winning 3-2 over Butler....JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE..

Just got done watching the girls shutout USF on their home field. Caught it on their official athletic website. We will be able to watch the game Sunday. The link is below, if anybody is interested. I also have Chromecast so I was able to cast the laptop video to my TV and watch the game that way.

https://gousfbulls.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

Just got done watching the girls shutout USF on their home field. Caught it on their official athletic website. We will be able to watch the game Sunday. The link is below, if anybody is interested. I also have Chromecast so I was able to cast the laptop video to my TV and watch the game that way.

https://gousfbulls.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

I tried to catch the last couple innings while at work, but my Chrome browser didn't like the website. Might be a flash player thing. Might have to try Edge for the next game.

Offense certainly wasn't a thing of beauty in either game, but Amber and Syd picked up the slack. Anyway, I'll take a shut out of South Florida on their home field anytime.

Nice to be 17-7 as the nonconference schedule begins to wind down.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

WOW!!! I do not understand the repetitive lack of offense because of poor execution from this team. Are these players swinging at their own free will or does the Head Coach have a lot of say in their At Bats?

Sydney pitched a great game and once again, when one team scores, the other comes right back and scores. Lack of confidence? Lack of concentration/focus? Can anybody explain why that happens a lot in games?

In the long run, nobody's going to ask: Did you beat Butler 23-2 or 3-2? The important thing is: Did you beat them? As far as I know, the Butler game wasn't streamed or on TV, so did you see the game (I didn't)? If so, what poor execution on offense are you referring to? (Or was it great Butler pitching?) As for Butler's HR in the 7th, Smith is a pitch-to-contact pitcher; you can expect her to give up some big hits along the way because she's not overpowering; she makes hitters put the ball in play and sometimes it goes over the fence, but home runs tend to cost pitchers fewer games than walks. My take on Trachsel is that she's big on depth of pitching and super strong defense, especially on the infield. That approach might limit the number games you win by blowouts (and might seem dull to some fans), but it also keeps you in lots of other games and gives you a chance to win them with a break or two (excepting at Ala., where the home team routinely steals games via umpires' calls, etc. But what does a person expect from Ala or the SEC?). As for the Gophers offense, I think any team ranked in the top 25, like MN, can expect opponents to throw their very best pitching at them every single game. Losing Lindaman and having some 2019 players injured has hampered their offensive output, it seems. The long-term secret is: having more than one way to win games and using those ways to win as you need them. I suspect Allister's Gopher teams created an image of BIG BATS, but what do you do when the big bats fail you, as happened to MN in the recent years' NCAA tournaments? Personally I saw Butler lose to SIU 16-0 last week; I felt good for them when they gave MN a real battle today. I also was very happy that MN beat them 3-2. That was VERY acceptable to me.

In the long run, nobody's going to ask: Did you beat Butler 23-2 or 3-2? The important thing is: Did you beat them? As far as I know, the Butler game wasn't streamed or on TV, so did you see the game (I didn't)? If so, what poor execution on offense are you referring to? (Or was it great Butler pitching?) As for Butler's HR in the 7th, Smith is a pitch-to-contact pitcher; you can expect her to give up some big hits along the way because she's not overpowering; she makes hitters put the ball in play and sometimes it goes over the fence, but home runs tend to cost pitchers fewer games than walks. My take on Trachsel is that she's big on depth of pitching and super strong defense, especially on the infield. That approach might limit the number games you win by blowouts (and might seem dull to some fans), but it also keeps you in lots of other games and gives you a chance to win them with a break or two (excepting at Ala., where the home team routinely steals games via umpires' calls, etc. But what does a person expect from Ala or the SEC?). As for the Gophers offense, I think any team ranked in the top 25, like MN, can expect opponents to throw their very best pitching at them every single game. Losing Lindaman and having some 2019 players injured has hampered their offensive output, it seems. The long-term secret is: having more than one way to win games and using those ways to win as you need them. I suspect Allister's Gopher teams created an image of BIG BATS, but what do you do when the big bats fail you, as happened to MN in the recent years' NCAA tournaments? Personally I saw Butler lose to SIU 16-0 last week; I felt good for them when they gave MN a real battle today. I also was very happy that MN beat them 3-2. That was VERY acceptable to me.
Thank you for that! I get so irritated by people claiming to be fans, but feel that they are owed something from the team, such as a certain number of runs or hits. Maybe the bats just weren't there. That happens. Maybe the pitching was really good. Maybe we played down to Butler's level. I'm fine with that too, because we've also been playing up to the level of top-ranked teams. Let a win be a win, and talk about interesting things like how it was interesting to see Katie coaching third base. Did Jamie have to use the bathroom or does she just want to give her young coaches some experience?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just win baby! This team is winning games and doing what they have to do.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

A possible answer to your post came in the Gopher report on Friday's games (3/15). Fiser reported in an interview that the Gophers' flight to Florida got in very late on Thursday and they had to get ready to play early Friday. In addition, the report indicated the Florida heat was an issue for the Northern players, even though the USF announcer said it was the last "cool" day before 5 months of real heat sets in down there. All indications are that the Gophers players were making do with the hand they were dealt. Maybe they'll be more rested today, Saturday?

A possible answer to your post came in the Gopher report on Friday's games (3/15). Fiser reported in an interview that the Gophers' flight to Florida got in very late on Thursday and they had to get ready to play early Friday. In addition, the report indicated the Florida heat was an issue for the Northern players, even though the USF announcer said it was the last "cool" day before 5 months of real heat sets in down there. All indications are that the Gophers players were making do with the hand they were dealt. Maybe they'll be more rested today, Saturday?
I don't know if they're more well rested today or not. Posted a nice win against Wichita State in game one, but are in big trouble against a midling-at-best Florida Gulf Coast team in game two.

If they drop this one, and I'm assuming they will down 4-0 against a pitcher whose ERA is less than one, it'd be their first truly bad loss (ratings wise) of the season. Whether it's because they're tired, it's hard to say.

Can't win them all. Looks like Burns and Lowary didn't travel this week. Must be dinged up. Would be nice to have those two on this road trip.

Apparently, to some, I am not a TRUE GOPHER SOFTBALL FAN. So will those of you that are please come forward and continue to talk about their games. I would like to hear all your comments on their loss to FGCU.

Apparently, to some, I am not a TRUE GOPHER SOFTBALL FAN. So will those of you that are please come forward and continue to talk about their games. I would like to hear all your comments on their loss to FGCU.

My comment is that stuff happens and FGCU has a nice pitcher.

My comment is that stuff happens and FGCU has a nice pitcher.

I saw only the games that were streamed. My comment is that the Gophers' hitting looked anemic; their bat speed was slow; they weren't aggressively attacking pitches (except maybe Partain & Denhartog). But I guess you don't need much hitting if you pitch a shutout every game. I assumed FGCU would be their easiest game. Shows how much I know. What indeed did happen there? Too lackadaisical?

Don't ever expect to sweep a 5-game weekend. I don't care who you are playing. What do you want to hear? They had a good inning against Sydney and we struggled early against a good pitcher. One of their good hits to the warning track went off of Maddies glove to score their runs, so it was inches away from being a different game. 2 wins against Texas is worth more than one loss against FGCU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FGCU has a pretty good program. Last year they finished with an RPI in the 30s. Not a great team this year but to me it was the scariest matchup of the weekend given that we had to play them right after Wichita St. Overall not a bad loss and won't really hurt us. It barely registers. The two wins v. South Florida and the win against Wichita State will help us far more than the loss to FGCU hurts us.

First report card tomorrow. I am guessing a top 20 RPI. Hopefully top 16.

I will simply say this team is offensively challenged. Good power from from both Brandner and DenHartog and pretty good speed when fully healthy. With that said, they're going to have to grind out a lot of games this year because they don't have the firepower at the plate that they've had in recent years. The bottom half of the lineup is young and inexperienced, so it'll be up to the top of the lineup to produce. When they struggle, the team will struggle.

Pitching is pretty solid for the most part, but there will obviously be more pressure on them than in years past. Amber is obviously a star, so she gives them a chance to win every time she's in the circle, regardless of the level of opposition. Syd is capable of pitching extremely well, but she'll need to be consistently solid if this team is going to be a factor in conference play. The others are pretty young, although I like the potential of Lowary.

All and all, they're a good ball-club that will rely on pitching and defense more than in the past. Then again, we all knew that coming into the season, so none of this is exactly unexpected.

Nice to be #12 in the first RPI. B1G teams in the RPI:

Gophers 12
Northwestern 16
Illinois 20
Michigan 24
Indiana 26
Ohio State 44
Wisconsin 45
Maryland 63
Iowa 94
Purdue 97
Rutgers 120
Nebraska 122
MSU 154
PSU 156

Ugh the bottom teams in our conference are not good. We can beat them and our RPI can go down.

Last edited:

Don't think anyone is questioning whether or not you're a true fan, obviously you are. Just that maybe chill a bit. When you type in all capitals about a win not being acceptable, people would ask you put it in perspective. These are 20 year old young women playing a game. Sometimes disappointing, sure, but nothing more. Unacceptable are things like child abuse, fraud of elders, etc.

I know you know that. Please continue to comment, but with the big picture in perspective.

I will simply say this team is offensively challenged. Good power from from both Brandner and DenHartog and pretty good speed when fully healthy. With that said, they're going to have to grind out a lot of games this year because they don't have the firepower at the plate that they've had in recent years. The bottom half of the lineup is young and inexperienced, so it'll be up to the top of the lineup to produce. When they struggle, the team will struggle.

Pitching is pretty solid for the most part, but there will obviously be more pressure on them than in years past. Amber is obviously a star, so she gives them a chance to win every time she's in the circle, regardless of the level of opposition. Syd is capable of pitching extremely well, but she'll need to be consistently solid if this team is going to be a factor in conference play. The others are pretty young, although I like the potential of Lowary.

All and all, they're a good ball-club that will rely on pitching and defense more than in the past. Then again, we all knew that coming into the season, so none of this is exactly unexpected.

Watching the Gopher games, I have mixed emotions. This 2019 team could've lost all 5 games this past weekend, if not mostly for Amber Fiser, who made it all look pretty routine in victory. Kinda reminds me of Groenewegen's teams; Gr. could compete against any team in the nation, but the potent bats behind her fell silent against top 10-15 teams and I always felt Allister's teams had weak infield defense. Fiser doesn't have tons of runs to back her up, but she has error-free defense (so far). Defense and speed don't fall into slumps. Still, this team needs Jensen on the bases and much better hitting from Houlihan, Brandner, and Kemetmueller. They also need to learn to manufacture runs with small ball, base-stealing, etc. At bat they have way too many 3-up,3-down innings, which takes the pressure off the opponents' defense. In Sunday's game Fiser barely had time to catch her breath before she was back in the circle again for a new inning. Dunno. Hope they keep winning......

Watching the Gopher games, I have mixed emotions. This 2019 team could've lost all 5 games this past weekend, if not mostly for Amber Fiser, who made it all look pretty routine in victory. Kinda reminds me of Groenewegen's teams; Gr. could compete against any team in the nation, but the potent bats behind her fell silent against top 10-15 teams and I always felt Allister's teams had weak infield defense. Fiser doesn't have tons of runs to back her up, but she has error-free defense (so far). Defense and speed don't fall into slumps. Still, this team needs Jensen on the bases and much better hitting from Houlihan, Brandner, and Kemetmueller. They also need to learn to manufacture runs with small ball, base-stealing, etc. At bat they have way too many 3-up,3-down innings, which takes the pressure off the opponents' defense. In Sunday's game Fiser barely had time to catch her breath before she was back in the circle again for a new inning. Dunno. Hope they keep winning......
I've noticed a lot of the same. I suppose it will come down to making the judgment between whether it's a simple case of improving offensively or conceding this team has some issues offensively and roll with it. The pitching is solid; that much we know. Defense has been tight as well. At times, their small-ball offense has also executed quite well. But there have also been times where they've run themselves out of innings due to lack execution or not recognizing the situation.

Really need Houlihan to start hitting. She's a lynchpin of this offense. Also need to get Jensen healthy and getting on base. Her speed is a major asset and would help a ton.

The Gophs batting lineup has the potential to be very dangerous in the 1 through 7 holes, but it seems like they haven't put it all together at the same time against good teams with the exception of maybe a couple Texas games. Regardless, if they can get consistent performance from 1 or 2 of the speedsters at the top, 1 or 2 power hitters in the 4-5-6 , and anything out of the bottom of the lineup, they should be winning the vast majority of games. It seems like no teams outside of UCLA and FSU (and maybe Oklahoma?) are pouring it on in all batting positions.

Really need Houlihan to start hitting. [MRJ]

I've noticed a tendency (hopefully not imagined on my part) for really potent hitters who've been hitting machines as underclassmen to fizzle at the plate somewhat (or even greatly) as seniors. It happened, for example, to Richardson. Also to Sam Macken, Groenewegen, Dwyer, & Parlich among others. The seniors who've hit best have been those who didn't play much as freshmen or sophomores. For example, Dani Wagner. I REALLY hope for Houlihan to have a stellar year.

The Gophs batting lineup has the potential to be very dangerous in the 1 through 7 holes, but it seems like they haven't put it all together at the same time against good teams with the exception of maybe a couple Texas games. Regardless, if they can get consistent performance from 1 or 2 of the speedsters at the top, 1 or 2 power hitters in the 4-5-6 , and anything out of the bottom of the lineup, they should be winning the vast majority of games. It seems like no teams outside of UCLA and FSU (and maybe Oklahoma?) are pouring it on in all batting positions.
DenHartog double-dips as a speedster with power. She is a good ballplayer.

Really need Houlihan to start hitting. [MRJ]

I've noticed a tendency (hopefully not imagined on my part) for really potent hitters who've been hitting machines as underclassmen to fizzle at the plate somewhat (or even greatly) as seniors. It happened, for example, to Richardson. Also to Sam Macken, Groenewegen, Dwyer, & Parlich among others. The seniors who've hit best have been those who didn't play much as freshmen or sophomores. For example, Dani Wagner. I REALLY hope for Houlihan to have a stellar year.

I'm not worried about Houlihan. She's an excellent batter who will figure it out. She started even slower last year and was batting .213 after 27 games (compared to .259 this year) yet ended the year at .333. I get the sense fastpitch batters need to reinvent themselves every year now with all the video out there coupled with damn good opposing pitching coaches that figure out the holes in each batter's swing.

I'm not worried about Houlihan. She's an excellent batter who will figure it out. She started even slower last year and was batting .213 after 27 games (compared to .259 this year) yet ended the year at .333. I get the sense fastpitch batters need to reinvent themselves every year now with all the video out there coupled with damn good opposing pitching coaches that figure out the holes in each batter's swing.

I had to LOL at this viewpoint because I had the exact same feelings about Katie Richardson in 2015. As I recall, she started a little slow that year but then picked it up as the year went on. Hopefully Maddie will follow suit.

Last edited:

I had to LOL at this viewpoint because I had the exact same feelings about Katie Richardson in 2015. As I recall, she started a little slow that year but then picked it up as the year went on. Hopefully Maddie will follow suit.

My comment here doesn't have much to do with Maddie, who's one of my favorite Gopher players and playing well. I admired Richardson's skills (I recall her hitting a HR over the flag pole in centerfield & onto the baseball field once, which still kinda astounds me!). Her 2015 stats may have been good, but I felt a real lack of clutch hitting by her that year, especially in the bad 2-0 loss to Iowa. I thought she underachieved that year. And other seniors followed that pattern in recent years, which has been a let-down on one level. My suspicion is that as seniors some start sensing there's the 'real' world awaiting them after graduation in a couple of months, plus injuries taking a cumulative toll. As a senior, for example, Macken said she was hitting less but enjoying the game more. I got the same feeling with senior players like Groenewegen (at the plate), Parlich, & Dwyer. They hit some but nothing like as underclassmen. Watching them play, I got the feeling it didn't matter quite as much to them any more, which is a perfectly natural development at their stage of life, IMHO. Still a disappointment for the fans. Or maybe I'm reading my own youthful experiences (and those of my friends) into what I see on the field now? If I'm off base here and it is in reality mainly a function of better scouting reports, etc., I stand corrected. An assistant to a D1 coach told me once that they bank on sophomores & juniors for the most production.

My comment here doesn't have much to do with Maddie, who's one of my favorite Gopher players and playing well. I admired Richardson's skills (I recall her hitting a HR over the flag pole in centerfield & onto the baseball field once, which still kinda astounds me!). Her 2015 stats may have been good, but I felt a real lack of clutch hitting by her that year, especially in the bad 2-0 loss to Iowa. I thought she underachieved that year. And other seniors followed that pattern in recent years, which has been a let-down on one level. My suspicion is that as seniors some start sensing there's the 'real' world awaiting them after graduation in a couple of months, plus injuries taking a cumulative toll. As a senior, for example, Macken said she was hitting less but enjoying the game more. I got the same feeling with senior players like Groenewegen (at the plate), Parlich, & Dwyer. They hit some but nothing like as underclassmen. Watching them play, I got the feeling it didn't matter quite as much to them any more, which is a perfectly natural development at their stage of life, IMHO. Still a disappointment for the fans. Or maybe I'm reading my own youthful experiences (and those of my friends) into what I see on the field now? If I'm off base here and it is in reality mainly a function of better scouting reports, etc., I stand corrected. An assistant to a D1 coach told me once that they bank on sophomores & juniors for the most production.

It can definitely be frustrating for fans. With that said, I was almost always comfortable with Richardson (and Macken) in clutch situations, not because of their numbers per se, but because I knew they were fully capable of coming through. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't, which is the norm for most players. But I always felt we had a good shot with them in the box.

Sara G was an interesting case because her hitting really fell off her senior year. Same with Parlich, although she had some big moments as a senior as well. For G, it was a different situation because we relied so heavily on her pitching. And on that front, she never came close to falling off (obviously). It would be an interesting study to see how players generally perform during their collegiate careers and at what ages/years they perform their best.

Anyway, I like the younger players on this team for the future. Right now, I get the feeling they're still feeling it out to a certain degree (the exception being DenHartog, who is crushing the ball).

Televised vs Florida tomorrow

I'm very excited to see the Gopher Vs Gator match up. My perdiction is that Hope will have a big day vs their rise ball pitcher and Fiser will be tough for them to deal with. Go Gophers !

Top Bottom