Gopher Softball 2019

Cancelled? Not postponed? So far no news from either MN or WI twitter pages.
Not sure. I should have just said not playing tomorrow. Seems like they could change the location to Minnesota if the weather is going to be good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wisconsin games are on the schedule for next Wednesday in Madison at 1 & 3.

APR 24 (WED) 3: 00 PM
BIG TEN
AT UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN (DH)

I don't know what DH means....designated hitter?.......dear husband?.....I suppose something to do w/rescheduled.

I have some time this afternoon, I would have loved to watch some softball :mad:

BIG TEN

I don't know what DH means....designated hitter?.......dear husband?.....I suppose something to do w/rescheduled.

I have some time this afternoon, I would have loved to watch some softball :mad:

DH is doubleheader.

BIG TEN

I am OK with sitting in my nice warm and dry house this evening doing something else.

Natalie one of the 25 finalists for NFCA D1 freshman of the year

Maybe would like to see a little more production with RISP, but they got it done. Fiser was wonderful in the key moments :cool:

(I'm counting on you today FloSoftball!)

Maybe would like to see a little more production with RISP, but they got it done. Fiser was wonderful in the key moments :cool:

(I'm counting on you today FloSoftball!)

Uh, good luck with that...

Seriously though, I like what Flosoftball is doing overall as they are increasing awareness of the sport. They do OK with games when the schedule doesn't change.

Northwestern is feeling their oats right now. I would say they've got hopes and dreams for this season!

3 wins, all right, great, and move on. Take care of business vs Wisconsin. let's go!

I hope Houlihan has a strong finish to the season. I'm a HUGE Maddie fan!
Her flashing the safe sign and leaping into the air when Sydney Fabian scored to beat Michigan in the 2016 Big Ten tournament is one of the all time great images for me :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsRa-AvWcQ

3 wins, all right, great, and move on. Take care of business vs Wisconsin. let's go!

I hope Houlihan has a strong finish to the season. I'm a HUGE Maddie fan!
Her flashing the safe sign and leaping into the air when Sydney Fabian scored to beat Michigan in the 2016 Big Ten tournament is one of the all time great images for me :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVsRa-AvWcQ

Maddie came up big today at the plate. She's been a rock for four years and is a really good leader for this team. On top of that, her experience usually shows forth in game situations and she had a really good day at the plate.

Ali Lindner was really good today as well, which was great to see. She looked very comfortable in the batters box and put on some really nice swings.

Amber was steady as well. She didn't dominate quite the same way as Friday, but still piled up the strikeouts and did enough until the team found some offense in the later innings.

Really hoping McKenna's hand is okay. Always worry about those head-first slides into any base. It looked like she was kind of laughing it off while the trainers and coach Trachsel were talking to her. Guessing it was a jam shot to one of the fingers.

Off to Madison on Wednesday!

If we want to win the Big, our best bet is bad weather for Michigan. They have one left with Mich. State, 3 with Maryland and 3 with Penn State. I don't see any losses there. Even if we run the table and all the games are played, we will be 1/2 game back with the cancelled game against MSU.

If we want to win the Big, our best bet is bad weather for Michigan. They have one left with Mich. State, 3 with Maryland and 3 with Penn State. I don't see any losses there. Even if we run the table and all the games are played, we will be 1/2 game back with the cancelled game against MSU.

Michigan not playing the Gophs or Northwestern tilted the title run for them in advance assuming they held serve...and they have. Granted, everyone thought Indiana might be tougher a few weeks ago after their run through the JV schedule. Plus, Michigan's sweep @ at Illinois isn't easy either, so they deserve some credit.

Michigan not playing the Gophs or Northwestern tilted the title run for them in advance assuming they held serve...and they have. Granted, everyone thought Indiana might be tougher a few weeks ago after their run through the JV schedule. Plus, Michigan's sweep @ at Illinois isn't easy either, so they deserve some credit.
Seasons like this highlight the absurdities of not having the Gophers and Michigan play each other in the regular season for multiple years at a time. I honestly don't understand it.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Lots of changes in the RPI rankings this week.

10 Northwestern Big Ten 36-7-0 8-4-0 17-2-0 11-1-0 0-0-0
11 Minnesota Big Ten 32-10-0 13-6-0 14-4-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
13 Michigan Big Ten 33-11-0 12-5-0 10-6-0 11-0-0 0-0-0
36 Wisconsin Big Ten 33-8-0 10-6-0 15-2-0 8-0-0 0-0-0
41 Ohio St. Big Ten 29-14-0 9-6-0 13-5-0 7-3-0 0-0-0
44 Indiana Big Ten 31-18-0 6-11-0 16-3-0 9-4-0 0-0-0
45 Illinois Big Ten 27-17-0 9-3-0 10-7-0 8-7-0 0-0-0
83 Rutgers Big Ten 22-20-0 6-10-0 13-6-0 3-4-0 0-0-0
87 Purdue Big Ten 30-20-0 2-10-0 19-6-0 9-4-0 0-0-0
92 Iowa Big Ten 17-24-0 3-10-0 13-7-0 1-7-0 0-0-0
99 Nebraska Big Ten 15-27-0 4-11-0 8-7-0 3-9-0 0-0-0
105 Maryland Big Ten 20-23-0 4-10-0 10-5-0 6-8-0 0-0-0
146 Penn St. Big Ten 22-25-0 7-7-0 12-9-0 3-9-0 0-0-0
168 Michigan St. Big Ten 15-28-0 3-11-0 8-10-0 4-7-0 0-0-0

Lots of changes in the RPI rankings this week.

10 Northwestern Big Ten 36-7-0 8-4-0 17-2-0 11-1-0 0-0-0
11 Minnesota Big Ten 32-10-0 13-6-0 14-4-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
13 Michigan Big Ten 33-11-0 12-5-0 10-6-0 11-0-0 0-0-0
36 Wisconsin Big Ten 33-8-0 10-6-0 15-2-0 8-0-0 0-0-0
41 Ohio St. Big Ten 29-14-0 9-6-0 13-5-0 7-3-0 0-0-0
44 Indiana Big Ten 31-18-0 6-11-0 16-3-0 9-4-0 0-0-0
45 Illinois Big Ten 27-17-0 9-3-0 10-7-0 8-7-0 0-0-0
83 Rutgers Big Ten 22-20-0 6-10-0 13-6-0 3-4-0 0-0-0
87 Purdue Big Ten 30-20-0 2-10-0 19-6-0 9-4-0 0-0-0
92 Iowa Big Ten 17-24-0 3-10-0 13-7-0 1-7-0 0-0-0
99 Nebraska Big Ten 15-27-0 4-11-0 8-7-0 3-9-0 0-0-0
105 Maryland Big Ten 20-23-0 4-10-0 10-5-0 6-8-0 0-0-0
146 Penn St. Big Ten 22-25-0 7-7-0 12-9-0 3-9-0 0-0-0
168 Michigan St. Big Ten 15-28-0 3-11-0 8-10-0 4-7-0 0-0-0

I wonder how NW leapfrogged the Gophs. Purdue @ 87 isn't that much higher ranked than Nebby @ 99. Maybe Texas getting swept by OU had an impact. Winning at WI could help (I hope, as @ WI will be tough) while sweeping Iowa probably still erodes the RPI ranking.

Regarding RPI, rankings, and the NCAA committee; this year could prove to be a litmus test on the NCAA committee's southern bias (proven in 2017). How much do you want to bet, teams outside the top 16 RPI like Auburn, OK State, and Texas Tech still leapfrog one or more Big Ten teams for regional hosting?

Regarding RPI, rankings, and the NCAA committee; this year could prove to be a litmus test on the NCAA committee's southern bias (proven in 2017). How much do you want to bet, teams outside the top 16 RPI like Auburn, OK State, and Texas Tech still leapfrog one or more Big Ten teams for regional hosting?

If past history is any indication, members of the selection committee are probably already rooting for northern teams to drop so they can appear to be justified in shafting Minnesota, Michigan or Northwestern.

In the case that all three are in the top 16, I'd guess they'll give a regional to Michigan because they've won a CWS and they've been a national name in softball for decades. That means the committee, if given the opportunity, would more than likely have to find some ridiculous reason to piss on either Minnesota and/or Northwestern.

As we know, the NCAA is fully willing to do so. I'm just hoping all three teams can stay in the top 16 because it would be great to know committee members are squirming in their seats trying to find a justifiable way to screw some northern team.

Bad year to have two games against NDSU cancelled. They are #39 in RPI and have a 33-12 record.

Haven't been cancelled yet. Looking for an alternative date to play the games.

If past history is any indication, members of the selection committee are probably already rooting for northern teams to drop so they can appear to be justified in shafting Minnesota, Michigan or Northwestern.

In the case that all three are in the top 16, I'd guess they'll give a regional to Michigan because they've won a CWS and they've been a national name in softball for decades. That means the committee, if given the opportunity, would more than likely have to find some ridiculous reason to piss on either Minnesota and/or Northwestern.

As we know, the NCAA is fully willing to do so. I'm just hoping all three teams can stay in the top 16 because it would be great to know committee members are squirming in their seats trying to find a justifiable way to screw some northern team.

I agree the NCAA is pretty much owned by the SEC and other warm-weather interests. I'm sure even Carol Hutchens at Michigan had to battle long and hard to get a foot in the door. She did it by dint of years of hard work and winning the CWS once and finishing second once. If Gopher softball wants to gain full acceptance in "the league", they need to win some major titles against the odds/against status programs, when nobody gives them a chance. They had that chance in 2017 but could not score a single run against Alabama in 17 innings. Winning big-time is the only way forward. I remember the year Michigan won the CWS the network TV announcers were repeatedly saying that this was a weak year for UCLA, boohoo and by implication Michigan was less than worthy to be there in the championship series. But Michigan won and they gained the needed respect. Like Michigan, Minnesota needs to win big when it's unexpected if they want to be treated fairly by the NCAA. The only way to get there is by winning. I'm hoping Trachsel, being from MN, will stay for the long run and take the program far.

Fiser arrived in Groenewegen's senior year. Groenewegen arrived in Moulton's senior year. Do the Gophs have a young star pitcher lined up to arrive in Fiser's senior year? Potential pitcher transfers? Or, do the Gophs rely on Lowary, with flashes of brilliance in very limited relief, to come back from injury?

Edit after the fact: I answered my own question. Found that Kianna Jones is coming in (off the website) among others. https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...announces-three-2019-20-roster-additions.aspx

Last edited:

Terrible hit-and-run execution by the Gophs in the 2nd inning. Get two on with no outs, then get doubled up with runners in scoring position. Ouch. That always seems to come back to haunt.

Edit: Follow that up with multiple home runs for the Gophs in the 3rd. Way to respond.

Last edited:

I am so mad at all of you people that it makes me sick. You folks chased away that Indiana loving, Maddie Houlihan bashing troll several weeks ago. How much fun we could have had... but you ruined it!!! :)

2 HR for Maddie

Maddie "Big Ten" Houlihan on fire.

Would have liked to see Anne Miller or Josey White pinch hitting in the bottom of the order in the 5th to try to put the 8-run rule in play.

Maddie "Big Ten" Houlihan on fire.

Would have liked to see Anne Miller or Josey White pinch hitting in the bottom of the order in the 5th to try to put the 8-run rule in play.
Carlie was hitting the ball pretty well last weekend. Glad she got the chance to hit in that situation.

I am so mad at all of you people that it makes me sick. You folks chased away that Indiana loving, Maddie Houlihan bashing troll several weeks ago. How much fun we could have had... but you ruined it!!! :)

If that troll would have limited the postings to a couple here-and-there instead of going insane on this board, it would have been fine.

MADDIE! MADDIE! MADDIE! MADDIE!

So what's the plan, start Sydney and go as long as they can with her, and then have Fiser finish it off?

Top Bottom