Gopher Softball 2019

Emma Burns got moved up to #5 for the second game. She had a great day. Threw out one runner hit the ball hard all over the place. Triple in the first game and a 3 run homer in the second. Also a few other hits that were tagged. Hope she continues to do that down the stretch. We need more punch in the line-up. Syd had a tough break in the first inning. Lead off walk, but the next batter hit it back at her and it glaces of of her glove. If she didn't change the direction of the ball, it would have been a DP. She did struggle today, but at least gave them 3 and 2/3 innings.

Maybe the best softball instructional video ever.

[URL="[/URL]

Weather forecast for Madison on Wednesday - 90% chance of thunderstorms. Ugh.

Michigan dropped one to OSU today in 8 innings. NW takes 3 from Wisconsin. This snow out could be a problem trying to win the Big.

Michigan dropped one to OSU today in 8 innings. NW takes 3 from Wisconsin. This snow out could be a problem trying to win the Big.

If the Gophs can stay within 1 game of NW, it's totally in their hands for that race. Can't control the Michigan results...that one game could matter.

Weekly BIG RPI report card. NW made a big jump by beating WI. Hopefully we can do the same.

9 Minnesota Big Ten 29-10-0 10-6-0 14-4-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
12 Northwestern Big Ten 33-7-0 8-4-0 17-2-0 8-1-0 0-0-0
15 Michigan Big Ten 29-11-0 8-5-0 10-6-0 11-0-0 0-0-0
39 Wisconsin Big Ten 30-8-0 10-6-0 15-2-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
40 Indiana Big Ten 31-15-0 6-8-0 16-3-0 9-4-0 0-0-0
43 Illinois Big Ten 26-14-0 9-3-0 10-7-0 7-4-0 0-0-0
44 Ohio St. Big Ten 25-14-0 6-6-0 13-5-0 6-3-0 0-0-0
82 Rutgers Big Ten 20-19-0 6-10-0 13-6-0 1-3-0 0-0-0
87 Purdue Big Ten 29-17-0 2-7-0 19-6-0 8-4-0 0-0-0
90 Iowa Big Ten 16-21-0 2-7-0 13-7-0 1-7-0 0-0-0
91 Maryland Big Ten 19-21-0 4-10-0 10-5-0 5-6-0 0-0-0
97 Nebraska Big Ten 15-24-0 4-11-0 8-7-0 3-6-0 0-0-0
153 Penn St. Big Ten 20-24-0 5-6-0 12-9-0 3-9-0 0-0-0
157 Michigan St. Big Ten 15-24-0 3-11-0 8-10-0 4-3-0 0-0-0

Weekly BIG RPI report card. NW made a big jump by beating WI. Hopefully we can do the same.

9 Minnesota Big Ten 29-10-0 10-6-0 14-4-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
12 Northwestern Big Ten 33-7-0 8-4-0 17-2-0 8-1-0 0-0-0
15 Michigan Big Ten 29-11-0 8-5-0 10-6-0 11-0-0 0-0-0
39 Wisconsin Big Ten 30-8-0 10-6-0 15-2-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
40 Indiana Big Ten 31-15-0 6-8-0 16-3-0 9-4-0 0-0-0
43 Illinois Big Ten 26-14-0 9-3-0 10-7-0 7-4-0 0-0-0
44 Ohio St. Big Ten 25-14-0 6-6-0 13-5-0 6-3-0 0-0-0
82 Rutgers Big Ten 20-19-0 6-10-0 13-6-0 1-3-0 0-0-0
87 Purdue Big Ten 29-17-0 2-7-0 19-6-0 8-4-0 0-0-0
90 Iowa Big Ten 16-21-0 2-7-0 13-7-0 1-7-0 0-0-0
91 Maryland Big Ten 19-21-0 4-10-0 10-5-0 5-6-0 0-0-0
97 Nebraska Big Ten 15-24-0 4-11-0 8-7-0 3-6-0 0-0-0
153 Penn St. Big Ten 20-24-0 5-6-0 12-9-0 3-9-0 0-0-0
157 Michigan St. Big Ten 15-24-0 3-11-0 8-10-0 4-3-0 0-0-0

Three BG10 teams in the top 16 RPI. If that holds, it will be interesting to see if the NCAA selection committee awards multiple regional bids as RPI would suggest. The Gophs have 3 wins vs. top 16 RPI teams (one would expect the top 16 to be competitors for regionals), Michigan has 2 wins, and Northwestern 0 wins. That win count will change when we play Northwestern for better or worse.

I am irritated that every year we play midweek double headers against Wisconsin. This should be THE marquee weekend series of every season. It would be like Michigan and Ohio State playing a midweek double header. And what happens if there is inclement weather on the one day we are scheduled to play?

I am irritated that every year we play midweek double headers against Wisconsin. This should be THE marquee weekend series of every season. It would be like Michigan and Ohio State playing a midweek double header. And what happens if there is inclement weather on the one day we are scheduled to play?

I don't get that either. Could it be because of easier travel during the week?

I know this is a Gopher softball forum... but what the heck has happened to MSU Mankato Softball? I just looked at the NSIC standings and they're in the bottom half of a mediocre conference. That's coming off a national championship just two years ago. Weird.

I know this is a Gopher softball forum... but what the heck has happened to MSU Mankato Softball? I just looked at the NSIC standings and they're in the bottom half of a mediocre conference. That's coming off a national championship just two years ago. Weird.

Coley graduated, guessing they didn't recruit enough pitching

3 doubles, triple, and HR for Makenna in the two games

If I won the lottery, I would build an indoor softball complex with infield seating for a couple thousand and permanent roofing with large windows for natural light (like US Bank stadium). The roof would need to be high enough to accomodate high fly balls (although DenHartog would still hit it). Alas, since I don't buy lottery tickets, that won't happen.

If I won the lottery, I would build an indoor softball complex with infield seating for a couple thousand and permanent roofing with large windows for natural light (like US Bank stadium). The roof would need to be high enough to accomodate high fly balls (although DenHartog would still hit it). Alas, since I don't buy lottery tickets, that won't happen.
I have said the same thing, but I would make it a retractable roof. If your dreaming, dream big.

Isn't that the way the BIG ten schedules against teams closest to each other? --- MN vs. WI; NW vs. IL; Mi vs. MI State; Iowa vs. Nebr; Indiana vs. Purdue; OSU vs. PSU (I think); Maryland vs. Rutgers. A mid-week DH for all these teams.

I emailed Gopher softball and suggested they schedule softball in the Vikings stadium in Febr./March/ and when the weather's bad. They replied kinda vaguely that the facility was reserved for schools' baseball teams and it apparently would be too much trouble to transition from a baseball field layout to softball indoors. At least that's what I think they said, sounded kinda lame to me. Probably the U Athletic Dept would have to approach them and offer to pay --- of course.

I emailed Gopher softball and suggested they schedule softball in the Vikings stadium in Febr./March/ and when the weather's bad. They replied kinda vaguely that the facility was reserved for schools' baseball teams and it apparently would be too much trouble to transition from a baseball field layout to softball indoors. At least that's what I think they said, sounded kinda lame to me. Probably the U Athletic Dept would have to approach them and offer to pay --- of course.

It's gotta cost the team roughly $15,000 +/- to travel for a 3-4 day weekend to a warm climate in Feb-Mar. I wonder what it would cost to prep the field.

Isn't that the way the BIG ten schedules against teams closest to each other? --- MN vs. WI; NW vs. IL; Mi vs. MI State; Iowa vs. Nebr; Indiana vs. Purdue; OSU vs. PSU (I think); Maryland vs. Rutgers. A mid-week DH for all these teams.[/QUOTE

I am sure you are right. My bad. I didn't think it through.

It's gotta cost the team roughly $15,000 +/- to travel for a 3-4 day weekend to a warm climate in Feb-Mar. I wonder what it would cost to prep the field.
They would also have to convince some decent teams to travel to Minnesota in the winter to play indoors. Not saying it is impossible but not much reason for teams like LSU, TX, or Arizona to travel to the frozen Tundra. Does it help us to get average teams to show up?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

They would also have to convince some decent teams to travel to Minnesota in the winter to play indoors. Not saying it is impossible but not much reason for teams like LSU, TX, or Arizona to travel to the frozen Tundra. Does it help us to get average teams to show up?

Baseball did the BG10/PAC12 challenge there last year with AZ/UCLA/WA. Not sure how they pulled that off. If (and a big if) the playing surface were up to NCAA D1 standards, it's a guaranteed dry 70 degrees. At its worst, the field would still be better than what I've seen at Mary Nutter sometimes and definitely Puerto Vuarta, which looked like an an ungroomed cow pasture after the first game. It might be a long shot, but it would be cool.

This is all wild wish-list speculation, but so what?

If the Gophers were able to host a tournament or two at US Bank, probably in February when weather sucks just about everywhere not FLA, AZ or SoCal, they would probably need to selectively pursue decent RPI teams not in the south or west. Trachsel, or whoever created this year's schedule, has been very good at the RPI game so that needs to continue. Decent RPI teams that might be willing to participate could include Drake, NDSU, Boise, Tulsa, MO State etc. Then maybe pull off a coup and pull in 1 other big name or two. I can dream.

If the Gophers were able to host a tournament or two at US Bank, probably in February when weather sucks just about everywhere not FLA, AZ or SoCal, they would probably need to selectively pursue decent RPI teams not in the south or west. Trachsel, or whoever created this year's schedule, has been very good at the RPI game so that needs to continue. Decent RPI teams that might be willing to participate could include Drake, NDSU, Boise, Tulsa, MO State etc. Then maybe pull off a coup and pull in 1 other big name or two. I can dream.
Not trying to kill your joy!

The final initiative would have to come from the U Athletic Dept., but planting the idea with them and pursuing it might help. If the U offered the stadium folks MONEY, that could speak volumes. Also, if the Gopher softball keeps improving every year, they could become an attraction to ranked teams. And no rainouts. Checking early season schedules around the country reveals how many teams have 2-4 cancellations due to weather.

BTW, it was nice to see the ladies get both wins this weekend. The injury bug is hitting the team hard and it shows a bit on the field.

The OF looked a little bit rough on defense and didn't make some plays that they will need when we play the GOOD teams. Jensen in a boot hurts big-time.

Lowary was not dressed and I am guessing the outlook is questionable on her.

Nice that Fiser could come back and play in game #2, but this team will need to get some production from other pitchers if they want to make a run. Brandt was playing CF but it didn't look like she was even 90% out there. It looked like her arm was bothering her.

Left side infield looked solid again. Kemmetmueller is good at 3B and it is nice to see her getting some production at the plate.

Burns is a nice addition behind the plate and it was nice to see her bat come up big. Miller looked like she was in pain legging out her triple.

Hanson hit the ball solidly a few times. She just needs to get a hit and I think there will be a lot of those to follow after that.

The bottom of the order came through in the clutch. Arneson with a dinger and Brandt got a key hit to turn the order over and get Partain up to bat.

Stay healthy ladies!

BTW, it was nice to see the ladies get both wins this weekend. The injury bug is hitting the team hard and it shows a bit on the field.

Hanson hit the ball solidly a few times. She just needs to get a hit and I think there will be a lot of those to follow after that.

Play by play announcer practically drove himself into a tizzy over the fact Hanson doesn't have a hit..lol. Erika did a nice job staying steady and not over-reacting to him.
Her grounders to second and up the middle easily could have been hits, and the grounder to first was hit pretty well also.

Softball able to do injury redshirt years like football? Seems like Ellee would qualify

Softball able to do injury redshirt years like football? Seems like Ellee would qualify

I believe medical redshirt is available if injury is sport related and you play less than 30% of season. So I believe she’d qualify for that.

Wisconsin games canceled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wisconsin games canceled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Really bad luck on weather for home games so far. Today is gorgeous. Weather early last week was gorgeous before it turned to crap. Same thing for the opening week where it was warmer in days before the games. I hope we get a good run for the last three series.

Top Bottom